Cyle Larin

shermanator

What is most important is that Larin get some help here. If this was simply a young man being a (dangerous) dumbass, then suspend him at all levels, appropriately, and watch closely that he never does this again.

If he has an addiction, then he needs counselling and ongoing guidance. As well as appropriate suspension. And some compassion.

I hope he was just being a dumbass, for his sake. Easier to smarten up than deal with an addiction or the psychological problems that underlie addiction. 

Whatever the case, he is going to have to work hard to get the public to respect him again. I am optimistic that this will be the last dumbass move he makes for a very long time.

33 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The cringe when the cop says " Do you know you're driving on the wrong side of the road?" and he responds "I didn't know. I'm from Canada".

Video for those who haven't seen it.

Yeah. Watched the whole video and the news report. Good find @harrycoyster

Yeah he screwed himself saying he didn't have anything to drink and saying he wasn't from there but from Canada. Obviously can't hide the smell of booze. And he definitely failed the sobriety test putting his foot on the ground a couple of times. 

Just a thing to note Larin is a pretty big dude so for someone like him to get a buzz if he's someone who likes to indulge would have to drink a lot. He didn't sound wasted and was not wobbly but .08 is .08. 

When asked where from in Canada he should've said "Toronto... you know, Toronto vs Everybody."

50 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The cringe when the cop says " Do you know you're driving on the wrong side of the road?" and he responds "I didn't know. I'm from Canada".

omg that is terrible. Takes his club and country down with him son if a bitch. ...I'm from Canada he says...as if we drove on the left.

Imagine a Yank using that up here.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Yeah. Watched the whole video and the news report. Good find @harrycoyster

Yeah he screwed himself saying he didn't have anything to drink and saying he wasn't from there but from Canada. Obviously can't hide the smell of booze. And he definitely failed the sobriety test putting his foot on the ground a couple of times. 

Just a thing to note Larin is a pretty big dude so for someone like him to get a buzz if he's someone who likes to indulge would have to drink a lot. He didn't sound wasted and was not wobbly but .08 is .08. 

Big has nothing to do with weight, most footballers are lean...he weighs 86,  190 lbs.

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

Does not look or sound impaired on that video.  Gave a decent explanation for why he was on the wrong side of the road, he thought it was a one way - that actually happened to me once.  

Yea I just watched the video as well, seems to be decently put together for his reported BAC, but facts are facts. 

5 hours ago, Fastfeet2 said:

What establishment should be held liable for allowing Cyle to drink that much and drive off?

Nah. Folks should simply take responsibility for their own actions. Cyle will have to do that here.

One of the reasons I got out of tending bar as a night gig was this very mentality. There was more than one occasion on which I called a cab for somebody only to watch them wander out into the street - seemingly waiting for said cab - and then get in their own car and drive away. I didn't trust the venue's proprietor to carry the correct insurance to protect me while in his employ, so I got the hell out of there before somebody else's life choices negatively influenced my own situation. And that's too bad since bartending was a fun gig at that point in my life. I really do dislike this typically Canadian welfare state mentality though - somebody else is automatically bears responsibility for the actions/outcomes/situation of others. Folks need to step up and use the pronoun "I" for things other than assigning blame.

Back on the soccer front - this isn't the best thing for CMNT PR, and just days after Toyota signed on! The Japs must be impressed ; )

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'll agree as long as you agree it's him living out a tired cliché, not anyone else here. 

And that you never wrote anything like that aged 16.

He sure seems to be.

Also she had better tracks on that album

35 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Does not look or sound impaired on that video.  Gave a decent explanation for why he was on the wrong side of the road, he thought it was a one way - that actually happened to me once.  

In fact he sounds more coherent in that interview than many soccer players do when they are sober. Hopefully he passes through the protocols and learns from this mistake.

31 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

Nah. Folks should simply take responsibility for their own actions. Cyle will have to do that here.

One of the reasons I got out of tending bar as a night gig was this very mentality. There was more than one occasion on which I called a cab for somebody only to watch them wander out into the street - seemingly waiting for said cab - and then get in their own car and drive away. I didn't trust the venue's proprietor to carry the correct insurance to protect me while in his employ, so I got the hell out of there before somebody else's life choices negatively influenced my own situation. And that's too bad since bartending was a fun gig at that point in my life. I really do dislike this typically Canadian welfare state mentality though - somebody else is automatically bears responsibility for the actions/outcomes/situation of others. Folks need to step up and use the pronoun "I" for things other than assigning blame.

Back on the soccer front - this isn't the best thing for CMNT PR, and just days after Toyota signed on! The Japs must be impressed ; )

If you worked in Ontario insurance wasn't even the biggest issue, you can be charged criminally for over service that results in a drunk driving fatality.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

that or when he says "i'm a soccer player for Orlando city"

facepalm

then again if it was me I probably would have played that card too.

The leftie in me wants to say that maybe this was a cry for help and that he's troubled by his CanMNT struggles recently

the righty says pro athletes are cocky and that's part of why they're good, throw the book at him

Honestly though I think this might be good for CanMNT.  Opportunities for up and comers and hopefully this eventually is something he looks back at as rock bottom and comes back stronger than ever.

I'm not passing judgement on MLS's policy towards DUI offences but the fact that he is suspended from all team competitions before he's actually found guilty of any offence is very harsh relative to the other major sports leagues in NA. I don't know of any other league that operates that way for this particular offence. The commissioner of the NFL has complete disciplinary authority over all players but I don't know of a judgement similar in severity except in the case of domestic abuse allegations.

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm not passing judgement on MLS's policy towards DUI offences but the fact that he is suspended from all team competitions before he's actually found guilty of any offence is very harsh relative to the other major sports leagues in NA. I don't know of any other league that operates that way for this particular offence. The commissioner of the NFL has complete disciplinary authority over all players but I don't know of a judgement similar in severity except in the case of domestic abuse allegations.

lol they saw the video, what more evidence do you need XD

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't want anything. My comment was not on MLS's policy itself, it was in relation to other leagues.

okay, I think you're taking me a little literally here.  

I agree, generally.  The way sports leagues help tar and feather players before due process kinda irritates me, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

lol they saw the video, what more evidence do you need XD

I have seen what I assume completely sober people drive the wrong way.  The video itself  does not prove he was intoxicated.

1 minute ago, JDub said:

I have seen what I assume completely sober people drive the wrong way.  The video itself  does not prove he was intoxicated.

it was a joke.  that was actually my initial thought, especially the way the roads seemed to merge where he was.  He did seem a little drunk in the video but not falling down drunk, clearly.

If he was under the influence (and of course if he was it is unacceptable) people saying he should know better should understand that is what happens when you are intoxicated.  It clouds your judgement.  Doesn't make it ok but drunk people make stupid decisions they would not make while sober.

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

it was a joke.  that was actually my initial thought, especially the way the roads seemed to merge where he was.  He did seem a little drunk in the video but not falling down drunk, clearly.

I understand.  Does seem like he had more than 2 drinks but looks far from drunk.  Either way his level was apparently slightly over the limit.