Cyle Larin

shermanator

36 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Everybody reacts differently some people have a high tolerance, others do not but as others have stated his level was very high. For a man of his hight/size, you don't get that drunk off a couple drinks.

He should not have tweeted this vague thing after the Montréal game (getting mocked on twitter now) :

Ill stick to his tweet and not switch up on him. Clearly he made a massive mistake and driving on the wrong side of the road just shows how off the shits he really was. Who was he with that night that let him get in the car though? What establishment should be held liable for allowing Cyle to drink that much and drive off? There are lots of factors a article doesn't cover. Im not excusing his actions, he must deal with the consequences. But he's human, and humans make mistakes, especially with a stupid high BAC. With a sober mind im sure he will look back and think WTF.

I dont get why these pro athletes dont uber or cab, they have plenty of $.

22 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I like the idea of ricketts being thrown on for the last 20 minutes of a game to us his pace to terrorize defenders.  We don't even need to be down a goal for this to be effective IMO

I think it would be fun to see Ricketts, Davies, and Hoilett come on as a triple sub and just crank the speed up to 11 in the last 20 minutes of a game and run roughshod over tired defenders. I don't think I would actually do that if I were the manager, mainly because I don't think it's smart to not start Hoilett (and possibly Davies as well), but I think it could be a fun experiment.

22 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The bottom line is that Cyle is not currently getting the job done when he plays for Canada. We can't just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. He needs to be benched for the next game. Yes, our Gold Cup opener. We saw yesterday that we have viable alternatives. This will HELP him. It will simultaneously take the pressure off and motivate him to do better. Benching a player is one of the best tools in a coach's toolbox and he can't be afraid to use it!

I mostly agree with this.

Oddly enough, I am simultaneously not that concerned about Larin's form for Canada (his driving form on the other hand...), but also happy to have someone else get a shot. Have Larin come on for the last 20 or 30 minutes of a game and maybe he gets a goal that way. I really don't think it's a crazy idea to have AJH start a game, what does the poor guy have to do to get a start in MLS or national team play?!?!?! Even if Cavallini is impressive in camp I would be fine with seeing him get a start over Larin.

On the topic of his supposed sitter, am I the only one that didn't think it was that trivial a finish to make? It looked like to me his run was to the near post or even somewhat headed to beside the net. A ball across like that needs a pretty decent touch to have it just change angle but continue going right to left in order to hit the net. It's pretty easy on those kind of runs to have your attempted finish take a 90 degree turn instead of a slight deflection. Were there any other chances he missed? I thought he did really well battling a guy that was fouling him as he was running down the ball from Borjan and did well to get a decent shot on goal with his left. I can't remember any other chances to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I mostly agree with this.

Oddly enough, I am simultaneously not that concerned about Larin's form for Canada (his driving form on the other hand...), but also happy to have someone else get a shot. Have Larin come on for the last 20 or 30 minutes of a game and maybe he gets a goal that way. I really don't think it's a crazy idea to have AJH start a game, what does the poor guy have to do to get a start in MLS or national team play?!?!?! Even if Cavallini is impressive in camp I would be fine with seeing him get a start over Larin.

On the topic of his supposed sitter, am I the only one that didn't think it was that trivial a finish to make? It looked like to me his run was to the near post or even somewhat headed to beside the net. A ball across like that needs a pretty decent touch to have it just change angle but continue going right to left in order to hit the net. It's pretty easy on those kind of runs to have your attempted finish take a 90 degree turn instead of a slight deflection. Were there any other chances he missed? I thought he did really well battling a guy that was fouling him as he was running down the ball from Borjan and did well to get a decent shot on goal with his left. I can't remember any other chances to be honest.

That was a great ball from Borjan by the way. Borjan impressed in this game (now back to Larin being an idiot for drunk driving)

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

In 2015 CJ Sappong had to do a 3 week stint in rehab per the MLS substance abuse policy following his DUI charge.  I think he did not play for 4 weeks or so. I think Larin can expect the same, if not longer.  The CanMNT Gold Cup camp starts in 2 weeks. Even if Zambrano wanted to call him, I dont think Larin will be available for selection.        

My money is on him now moving to Europe at a discounted rate this summer transfer window. Kid still got some growing up to do...

"Innocent until proven guilty" Come on guys i'm all for that but he was driving on the other side of the damn road

Edited by Guest

Major League Soccer and Orlando City SC have issued statements on Larin: 

https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2017/06/15/statement-orlando-city-sc-forward-cyle-larin

Statement from Major League Soccer:
Orlando City SC forward Cyle Larin was arrested Thursday morning for DUI – unlawful blood alcohol content. He will undergo an assessment by MLS’ Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health (“SABH”) Program doctors pursuant to the SABH Policy.

Larin will not be eligible to participate in any competition or team activity, until that assessment is complete, and he is cleared for participation by the SABH Program doctors, and Major League Soccer completes its investigation. Major League Soccer will remain in close communication with Orlando City SC, local law enforcement, and the MLS Players Union during this investigation.

Statement from Orlando City Soccer Club:
Orlando City SC takes great pride in the way it represents the Orlando community and expects all players, coaches and front office staff to uphold that standard at all times, both on and off the field. The Club is very disappointed in Cyle Larin’s actions that resulted in these charges and does not take this situation lightly. We are working with local authorities, Major League Soccer and Cyle to take appropriate action in line with league protocol.

Edited by PhillyCanuck

I am actually shocked, because that is a huge mistake. This kid went to college, that means constant and clear messages and sessions about values and, related, alcohol and drugs, including driving, fights, general behaviour. I am not sure most pro clubs do a tenth of what solid NCAA programs do in this regard. 

Did he not hear, not learn, or is there something deeper going on? Including some stuff that has to do with his personal situation in the present?

You can be resistant to what the messages are, or have personal problems that may have to be really dealt with. But no one can imply that the guy is  still young, made a silly mistake, could have a high alcohol tolerance (dumbest argument can't believe that is still being made) or basically let him off. 

That said, using this to argue that he really did not deserve to start in GC is pathetic, really low. The guy deserves to start for sure. The argument that a guy scoring pretty consistently over the last 2 years should sit because a guy got hot 4 weeks ago (Jackson-H), that is pure garbage. A couple friggin weeks of consistency, that would be the dumbest reason to start anyone for our NT. But if he can give us a few more months, that'd be different.

Sheesh, driving a Cadillac, I started thinking, what is a 22 year old in Florida doing driving that, then it came to me....

"We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair"

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sheesh, driving a Cadillac, I started thinking, what is a 22 year old in Florida doing driving that, then it came to me....

"We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair"

That song was boring and hasn't aged well

5 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Dramatic change around of what? I havnt heard of Larin being in any trouble prior to this.

A change from being a douche. Hopefully this will motivate him even more and will have a positive impact for the CMNT.