Cyle Larin

shermanator

It may have something to do with being issued a passport.  I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but my father in law faced travel restrictions due to a DUI, so I am not sure it is as simple as 'there are none'.  Maybe if he already has his passport (clearly he does) there will be no barriers.  Dunno.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

It may have something to do with being issued a passport.  I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but my father in law faced travel restrictions due to a DUI, so I am not sure it is as simple as 'there are none'.  Maybe if he already has his passport (clearly he does) there will be no barriers.  Dunno.

He has a passport and IRCC is unlikely to revoke for a DUI.  More likely to refuse the issuance of a passport if he has to apply for a renewal in the coming months.  Even then it is unlikely IRCC would refuse the issuance for a DUI to someone who has to travel for work.  Of course if he gets a summary judgement (assuming it is a first time offence)  and pays a fine, this is all moot.  The applicable refusal/revocation section of the Passport Order is: 

• 9(1)(c) stands charged outside Canada with the commission of any offence that would, if committed in Canada, constitute an indictable offence;  
Edited by WheatsheafSK

He wont have any travel issues.  But this will hurt a possible transfer due to the bad optics.  Clubs dont want to be associated with this.  

Now, if I may speculate, based on what we know I see several possible red flags.  

Firstly a given standard drink equals roughly 20 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood.  He blew 180 mg, so thats at least 9 drinks in his body at the time he blew, but given that the body eliminates alcohol as soon as its ingested, to be steady at 180 for the time it takes to provide the 2 breath tests tells me that night he likely consumed 12-15 drinks in one sitting, if we are being kind and assuming he only drank at the bar for a few hours (he told the police he had just left a bar) and had not been drinking all day.  

Also, social drinkers almost never get their blood alcohol content this high.  Most first timers and young people I see with an out of the blue impaired charge blow 110-120 ish.  180 is a red flag.  Its a sign of an experienced drinker.  Many people cannot walk at 180, to get into a car and drive at 180 mgs and believe you can drive, you'd have to have built up a healthy tolerance for alcohol.  Not good.  

He is only 22.  21 is the legal drinking age in Florida ffs.  And he's already showing signs of having alcohol issues?   

Lastly, he has a game on Saturday, and he is getting absolutely shitfaced on the Wednesday prior?  What in the hell is going on Cyle? 

Obviously this is bad personally and professionally. He could have killed himself or someone else. On the wrong side of the road?? very reckless

From a Canada standpoint, the timing is terrible. He will be suspended by MLS and miss the next few games at least. So he may not be match-ready for the Gold Cup assuming he is even in the roster.

Edited by Floortom

Just a stupid decision by Larin. Thankfully it could have been a lot worse as he was driving the wrong way down a one way road.

The on-field repercussions of this don't really matter here, IMO. The most important thing that can happen as a result of this is that Larin learns from this mistake and never does this again.

Maybe he can claim (and get the judge to believe) that as a commonwealth country we drive on the left, so it was a simple mistake...

All joking aside, I am sure more than a few of us have driven after having too many to drink when we were his age so let's not start preaching here. Stupid, yes. But not a crime of morality (ie - rape). Nevertheless, it's serious and he needs to learn from this and become a better and more responsible person.

In 2015 CJ Sappong had to do a 3 week stint in rehab per the MLS substance abuse policy following his DUI charge.  I think he did not play for 4 weeks or so. I think Larin can expect the same, if not longer.  The CanMNT Gold Cup camp starts in 2 weeks. Even if Zambrano wanted to call him, I dont think Larin will be available for selection.        

11 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Maybe he can claim (and get the judge to believe) that as a commonwealth country we drive on the left, so it was a simple mistake...

All joking aside, I am sure more than a few of us have driven after having too many to drink when we were his age so let's not start preaching here. Stupid, yes. But not a crime of morality (ie - rape). Nevertheless, it's serious and he needs to learn from this and become a better and more responsible person.

Please don't minimize the seriousness of DUI. Too many people have unjustly lost their life or got permanently injured because of it.

If found guilty Cyle will get no sympathy from me. He should've know better.

Edited by aloyol

8 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

My wife's sister was killed by a drunk driver.  The idea of a "crime of morality" is a matter of perspective. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

My wife's sister was killed by a drunk driver.  The idea of a "crime of morality" is a matter of perspective. 

I can't believe some people here are trying to downplay DUIs or the police equipment that registered his blood alcohol level. He could have killed someone. This is a gigantic fuck up.

Edited by harrycoyster

33 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

He is an adult. Even if he was a teenager, that was beyond stupid on his part.

The closest I've been to being affected drunk driving, is having friends charged with it. And they deserved every punishment for it, and I make sure I remind them of this fact every time it comes up

2 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

He has a passport and IRCC is unlikely to revoke for a DUI.

His US Green Card also seems unlikely to get revoked.

Full story:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/os-cyle-larin-dui-orlando-city-20170615-story.html

"Records show Larin had to complete a four-hour drivers training course twice — once after a speeding ticket in 2015 and a second earlier this year after failing to follow a traffic device. Both offenses occurred in Orange County."

Even sober, he doesn't seem like the most cautious or most adept driver. I'd hope he would stick to a cab for the next few years or ask Richie Laryea (if they are still roommates and he drives) to drive him. He will likely be legally be banned from driving for some time anways.

To compare:

Roberto Firmino's case: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/roberto-firmino-drink-driving-liverpool-charged-fined-20000-banned-a7557396.html

Drank and drove. No accident or injury. Lower blood alcohol content. Different country. Got £20 000 in fines + no driving for a year.

Edit, CJ Sappong's case:

36 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

In 2015 CJ Sappong had to do a 3 week stint in rehab per the MLS substance abuse policy following his DUI charge.  I think he did not play for 4 weeks or so. I think Larin can expect the same, if not longer.  The CanMNT Gold Cup camp starts in 2 weeks. Even if Zambrano wanted to call him, I dont think Larin will be available for selection.        

Ya 3 weeks in Malibu California:

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/2859726/philadelphia-unions-cj-sapong-dui-changed-my-life

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-union/unions-cj-sapong-arrested-dui-reckless-driving

So Larin will have to:

undergo an assessment by Major League Soccer’s Substance Abuse and Behavior Health (SABH) program doctors and will not be eligible to play until the assessment is complete and MLS completes its investigation.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

A level of 0.18...that isn't a bit tipsy, that's hammered, usually around 0.20 is where most are at the point of vomiting.

Considering 0.05-0.08 is typically the limit is most countries/states, I'd have have slightly more sympathy for him (still wrong, but he could have misjudged time/his level or the device could have been miscalibrated) but with that high a blood alcohol level, that is well into the tank, and it's really hard to find doubt in that high a number.

Innocent until proven guilty, but I have doubts of his innocence on this one, and if he's found guilty, I hope they throw the book at him to be honest. Driving while that intoxicated is a serious risk to people's lives, athlete or not.

As far as the Gold Cup? I'll put it this way, I will certainly not find any fault on Zambrano's part if Larin did not make the roster. I'll be surprised if he's on it, but I understand you go with the player who gives you the best chance to win.

Edited by -Hammer-
Spelling and Grammar corrections

5 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

A level of 0.18...that isn't a bit tipsy, that's Hammered, usually around 0.20 is where most are at the point of vomiting.

Everybody reacts differently some people have a high tolerance, others do not but as others have stated his level was very high. For a man of his hight/size, you don't get that drunk off a couple drinks.

He should not have tweeted this vague thing after the Montréal game (getting mocked on twitter now) :