Jump to content

Cyle Larin


shermanator
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

@matty is correct at this moment AJH has not played a full 90 consistently to push Larin off. I do think Larin has had bad misses and last night was one, but he'll come good soon again. With a more attacking styled team with OZ, I think Larin will get more opportunities to score. Let the team gel with new tactics set by OZ wished they had two games instead of one this window. Canada needs to get two games each chance they get for friendlies. 

THIS. I'm honestly sick of these one game camps. I know the struggles of arranging friendlies but Canada needs to start securing 2 game camps with some regularity. I'm hopeful they book a second one in September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I think larin should get a few more chances under OZ, but honestly, he just seems snakebitten, I don't see the harm in taking him out of the starting eleven and having him come on as a sub until he figures it out.

 

If they test that it's post Gold Cup. No matter what anyone here thinks, he's Canada biggest goal threat also Canada really lacks an alternative starter for him. AJH is closer to being Ricketts than Larin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, matty said:

If they test that it's post Gold Cup. No matter what anyone here thinks, he's Canada biggest goal threat also Canada really lacks an alternative starter for him. AJH is closer to being Ricketts than Larin

shrug, I don't care how good he is for Orlando, he's just snake bitten for Canada.  Sometimes strikers need to be taken out for things to turn around.  We give players wayyyy to long a leash when they aren't performing.  I want him to succeed, but just letting them fail when there are people knocking on the door behind them is not a recipe for success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

shrug, I don't care how good he is for Orlando, he's just snake bitten for Canada.  Sometimes strikers need to be taken out for things to turn around.  We give players wayyyy to long a leash when they aren't performing.  I want him to succeed, but just letting them fail when there are people knocking on the door behind them is not a recipe for success.

I mostly agree but the problem is he's still our #1 threat and there's no real alternative at his level

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, matty said:

I mostly agree but the problem is he's still our #1 threat and there's no real alternative at his level

on paper maybe.  But he isn't scoring.  AJH has 2 goals in 4 games(.5) - Cyle Larin has 5 in 20(.25) - is this a meritocracy or an old boys club?  I realize 4 games is a small sample size, but if he keeps that up for a few more games you have to wonder.

Like I said, I'm not giving up on him, but when we have folks coming up who are playing well I think it's reasonable to switch things up a little bit.  Sure, start Larin in gold cup, but with a short leash.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, matty said:

Guys, AJH isn't taking Larin's spot anytime soon.

like I don't mean to beat a dead horse but why is this the default.  What if AJH scores in each of his next 3 games?  Then do we have that discussion?  We need much more "what have you done for me lately" if we ever hope to improve and become relevant.

Think about the uproar when a player like wayne rooney goes a couple games without bagging one.  It doesn't take long before the fans are screaming for Kane to start instead, and if he were to falter, how long would it take for people to be calling for his head and to be replaced by the next guy.  It's ALWAYS what have you done for me lately - not "oh this guy has potential"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

on paper maybe.  But he isn't scoring.  AJH has 2 goals in 4 games(.5) - Cyle Larin has 5 in 20(.25) - is this a meritocracy or an old boys club?  I realize 4 games is a small sample size, but if he keeps that up for a few more games you have to wonder.

Like I said, I'm not giving up on him, but when we have folks coming up who are playing well I think it's reasonable to switch things up a little bit.  Sure, start Larin in gold cup, but with a short leash.  

He's scoring at a similar rate to DeRo and Ricketts and a better one than Radzinski. I don't think his rate is bad it's just under his club rate (like DeRo) and he's missing what seem like easy goals. 

You're right AJH hasn't played enough. Personally I see him in a super sub role not a start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, matty said:

He's scoring at a similar rate to DeRo and Ricketts and a better one than Radzinski. I don't think his rate is bad it's just under his club rate (like DeRo) and he's missing what seem like easy goals. 

You're right AJH hasn't played enough. Personally I see him in a super sub role not a start.

I agree, for now.  I'm just saying that things can(and should be able to) change quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I agree, for now.  I'm just saying that things can(and should be able to) change quickly.

Cool. I don't think they will for Larin but Ricketts could be done as the super duper sub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, matty said:

One thing I want to see is the combo of Davies and Hoilett playing along side Larin for a longer period.

Hoilett seemed to find himself in much more space when he was shifted a little wider when Davies came in, this could be good for Larin in the future as Hoilett really started creating chances at that point!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OZ will figure it out to get the best out of Larin. I do think having a creative player in the middle even with him alone would be ideal. Who can play that number 10 role as a playmaker? I'm thinking Hoillet, Osorio, Chapman, and I don't know maybe even a Busto.....

I don't mind the formation used for the game just didn't have a creative force in the middle. 

 

Edit addtion

To add more games, more games, more games will benefit the team. Will result in more cohesive group, more trust and understanding, and yes we all get the point. CSA/OZ need to get more games that's all.

Edited by Scorpion26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The bottom line is that Cyle is not currently getting the job done when he plays for Canada. We can't just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. He needs to be benched for the next game. Yes, our Gold Cup opener. We saw yesterday that we have viable alternatives. This will HELP him. It will simultaneously take the pressure off and motivate him to do better. Benching a player is one of the best tools in a coach's toolbox and he can't be afraid to use it!

I highly disagree with this move. You need to try him with the best support possible first (which he hasn't had yet). This is also his first game since scoring against El Salvador last September.

And we don't actually have an alternative to him. You wanna say AJH? Go ahead but he's highly unproven and hasn't scored on a team on a team like Honduras (which is something Larin has done).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dsqpr said:

Fortune favours the brave. The potential upside is that you end up with a better AJH and a better Larin. I like that risk/reward profile.

I get that but Larin's a guy we know needs a supporting cast and he didn't have the best one yesterday. AJH did. Canada looked meh for most of the time Larin was on and that wasn't because of Larin.

Last point: It's a shame this is a one game camp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Larin was often all by himself during an attack and hopefully this will improve as the team gets familiar with OZ gameplan. However Larin will need competition for striker position and if AJH starts I hope it pushes Larin. Not just the two, but Cavalini, Hamilton, and other strikers. Competition between them all with be great and that's also for all positions for Canada...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.wesh.com/article/orlando-city-star-cyle-larin-arrested-on-dui-charge-in-orlando/10026895

"When he was pulled over, Larin was driving on the wrong side of Orange Avenue in downtown Orlando, troopers said."

"Larin was stopped around 2:30 a.m. Thursday by a Florida Highway Patrol trooper who spotted his Cadillac entering Orange Avenue from the South Ivanhoe Boulevard ramp in the wrong direction..."

Will be interesting to see how this affects his career/transfer prospects.  From potential legal issues re international travel to the bad PR of a bonehead move like this, he may have just pinned his future to MLS a bit longer than planned

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

http://www.wesh.com/article/orlando-city-star-cyle-larin-arrested-on-dui-charge-in-orlando/10026895

"When he was pulled over, Larin was driving on the wrong side of Orange Avenue in downtown Orlando, troopers said."

"Larin was stopped around 2:30 a.m. Thursday by a Florida Highway Patrol trooper who spotted his Cadillac entering Orange Avenue from the South Ivanhoe Boulevard ramp in the wrong direction..."

Will be interesting to see how this affects his career/transfer prospects.  From potential legal issues re international travel to the bad PR of a bonehead move like this, he may have just pinned his future to MLS a bit longer than planned

 

There are no international travel issues(speaking from experience). Canada is the only country you cant enter with a DUI .

Cyle needs to make a public appology Arturo Vidal style, and put his head down and get back to scoring goals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...