Cyle Larin

shermanator

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

For comparison purposes, here are the AVERAGE salaries in England's top 4 divisions for the 2014/15 season, in GBP of course:

Premier League first-team average salaries were around £1.7million per player per year.

Average basic pay in the Championship was £324,250 per player per year (bonuses would increase this a bit)

£69,500 in League One

£40,350 in League Two

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

Wow, Prem to Championship to L1 are massive drops! I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

23 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Wow, Prem to Championship to L1 are massive drops! I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

It's all about the tv money, that's why next Monday's Championship Play Off Final at Wembley is the most lucrative pay off for the winner in all of sport!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-transfer-value-mls-orlando-city-analysis-complicated?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

Interesting stuff and a great read.  

...According to his agent Costa Smyrniotis (must be related to Sigma TD Bobby Smyrniotis) MLS has yet to respond to the first formal transfer bids submitted to the club and Orlando City has not approached Larin about negotiating a new contract

...According to Orlando GM Niki Budalic (Kitchener's own former Toronto Lynx player): Orlando has rejected both offers it received and Larin is not currently for sale: “We are very happy with Cyle Larin; we are not looking to sell Cyle Larin this year because we want to keep him and we want to win,” Budalic said. “We’re not putting a price on the player, we’re not trying to sell the player; he’s an Orlando City player and we are trying to keep him. There’s no motivation to try to sell him."

...One league source put it bluntly: It’s more likely Larin is signed to a long-term Designated Player contract this year than it is that he’s sold for more than $5 million.

...Currently, the top offers for Larin are coming from Belgium, but a source with experience dealing in that market said it’s unlikely any team in Belgium will bid more than $3.5 million. The two official bids for Larin received by the league were for $2 million, according to a league source. That source said just one team, Anderlecht, could afford a $5 million-plus move.

...Most importantly, Orlando City has to decide whether it wants to sell at all. One source indicated the team may not approve a sale even if it’s north of $7 million.

...Orlando City would make more money simply by waiting until the end of the 2017 season – 66.7 percent of the transfer fee versus 50 percent if they sold in January, per league rules.

...One league source indicated Orlando City was not ready to give Larin a raise to the $1.5 million range, which several sources interviewed for this story considered a fair valuation.

Edited by BrennanFan

Unilateral club option contracts are illegal according to FIFA, this was decided years ago.

The FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber case is Penarol v. Carlos Bueno & Cristian Rodriguez (2006) if anyone wants to look it up.

I'm sure Cyle's agents know what they're doing.  Next move is for Cyle to make it known in the media that he wants to transfer to Europe.  

This looks like it's going to be the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of this league's salary structure.   

For years the league has been cheap as can be with talent developed in the league but at the same time loves to boast about how great their homegrown talent is.  Well now you're beginning to see you can't have your cake and eat it too.  

Giving Larin a $1.5 million contract is at the very least his valuation but the problem is once they set that precedent they are going to be having to give it to every player.  Jordan Morris is going to want $900k at least, Diego Fagundez etc. etc.  

There's a reason MLS players get sold for peanuts.. they have zero leverage.  The options are simple:

a) pay the man $1.5M per season and get a big transfer fee later on

b ) sell him for cheap now <$3M 

c) lose him for nothing 

Edited by Keegan

• 2 weeks later...

Larin's market value on Transfermarkt was recently increased from 2.5 million Euros to 3.5 million Euros, which converts to almost $4 million U.S. dollars. He is now the highest valued Canadian player in the world:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/cyle-larin/nationalmannschaft/spieler/343463

Edited by PhillyCanuck

7 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Larin's market value on Transfermarkt was recently increased from 2.5 million Euros to 3.5 million Euros, which converts to almost $4 million U.S. dollars. He is now the highest valued Canadian player in the world:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/cyle-larin/nationalmannschaft/spieler/343463

Larin is most definitely the most expensive Canadian in the world, but Transfermarkt isn't really a great resource for putting values on players outside of the 6 biggest European leagues. Scrolling through it just now, some of their evaluations are pretty laughable.

Alpphonso Davies worth half as much as Tesho Akindele?

Milan Borjan worth more than any American goalkeeper and almost three times as much as Will Johnson?

Matt Miazga worth less than Gyasi Zardes?

Yikes.

19 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Larin is most definitely the most expensive Canadian in the world, but Transfermarkt isn't really a great resource for putting values on players outside of the 6 biggest European leagues. Scrolling through it just now, some of their evaluations are pretty laughable.

Alpphonso Davies worth half as much as Tesho Akindele?

Milan Borjan worth more than any American goalkeeper and almost three times as much as Will Johnson?

Matt Miazga worth less than Gyasi Zardes?

Yikes.

Your post confuses me. Miazga is listed at 2m and Zardes at 1.8m.

but yea they're bad for values

After watching the Curacao game it became very evident that there are some huge flaws in Larin's game, which Orlando have done a good job of hiding, but Canada can't seem to help but expose for all the world to see. 

He is severely limited outside the box. Larin freezes when he gets the box outside the penalty area and has no idea what to do with it. It was obvious when AJH came out that he knew what to do as a lone striker and was able to get the ball in good place for the players around him.

Now it doesn't help that Canada puts him on an island but something here needs to change. Either Canada does what Orlando does gives him a partner and keeps him in the box, or he sees the bench and a striker who can link up plays better.

Also his finishing has to be better. It is embarrassing at this point that he can't score easy goals for Canada. AJH immediately moves ahead of him simply because his shots actually hit the target.

9 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

After watching the Curacao game it became very evident that there are some huge flaws in Larin's game, which Orlando have done a good job of hiding, but Canada can't seem to help but expose for all the world to see. 

He is severely limited outside the box. Larin freezes when he gets the box outside the penalty area and has no idea what to do with it. It was obvious when AJH came out that he knew what to do as a lone striker and was able to get the ball in good place for the players around him.

Now it doesn't help that Canada puts him on an island but something here needs to change. Either Canada does what Orlando does gives him a partner and keeps him in the box, or he sees the bench and a striker who can link up plays better.

Also his finishing has to be better. It is embarrassing at this point that he can't score easy goals for Canada. AJH immediately moves ahead of him simply because his shots actually hit the target.

The part I can't reconcile was just how isolated Larin was in the first half, with how integrated the whole offence was later in the game.  It seems like that couldn't be Larin's fault - many times when re received the ball there was simply no one around him.  But I don't know why that seemed to change so drastically when he wasn't on.  I find it hard to believe that it was his fault.  Its almost like the presence of a big target man gives us an excuse to move the ball around in a better way.  It would have been nice to see how he would have functioned in the more integrated attack we saw in the 2nd half.   

Eternal optimist me thinks that as soon as he gets one the floodgates might open with the National team.  Just seems like he has some kind of mental block going on, like he's putting too much pressure on himself.  I'm just amateur psycho analyzing here though :)

He needs support around him and behind him. We isolate him up top the whole time and put the weight firmly on his shoulders. We simply don't put anyone through the middle to create space for him to move or do what he does best. 

He has scored for Canada just not on the same regularity as he has a club level. He is young and it will happen in time and with support. I don't think we play to his strengths and he has too much expectation on him. The emergence of Davies, Edwards and hopefully Tabla might alleviate that expectation part. 

I think he and AJH would compliment each other well if we tried 2 up top. They are different types of striker IMO.It will be interesting to see how Cavallini fits into the equation. For me either we go two up top or we have to play with an AM and box to box player that will come in an support up top when we are attacking.  

4 minutes ago, Bully said:

I actually thought he was decent. He's good at holding up the ball and winning the ball in the air. He was completely isolated for the majority of his time out there, and had some chances regardless. He'll be fine. 

Would really help if we had a good attacking midfielder to link things up.

Ba-ding. He has the skill set for sure. Needs the space, time and support.

All that aside though my god is he collecting one of the mightiest blooper reels infront of goal to accompany his highlights. Like any striker you just have to have the confidence to know that is going to happen and next time it will go in. 

Alot of knee jerk reaction to missing a glorious chance.  I thought Larin held the ball up well in the first half and had a couple times when he was all alone he took a pass and turned on his man, ie something out of nothing.  A decent strike rate is still 1 in 3, this is canada we are talking about not Barca.  He scores next game and all is forgiven.  What he needs is another striker, why cant we play 2 up top?  

And as far as the difference in the second half, it had more to do with Davies coming in and attacking the Curaco defense, even Tiebert was going forward hard.  There were alot of jitters in the first half, first game for new coach etc.  Larin is fine, no need to talk about benching him etc.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Alot of knee jerk reaction to missing a glorious chance.  

That's the problem with Larin for the national team. He tends to miss the few glorious chances he gets. Examples being El Salvador in Gold Cup 2015, Mexico home in WCQ, last night's chance. Meanwhile, Jackson-Hamel's finishing with the national team (limited sample size of course) has been far superior.

I don't think anyone would argue that Larin is not the starter up top for the Gold Cup, but the way things are trending Jackson-Hamel will be taking his spot soon enough.

Yeah, in fairness, this isn't a knee jerk based on missing one sitter.  I like Larin and am optimistic that he will eventually score bags of goals for Canada, but this is in no way an isolated incident.  The general reaction stems from the fact that this is an ongoing, albeit still relatively new, problem that we are facing.

And agree with all those saying the emergence of AJH can only be a good thing - either as a compliment to Larin or as a competitor to him.

As goal starved as we are, Larins 20 games 5 goals isnt bad.  The horrible misses stand out like sore thumbs and are hard to forget, (almost as much as goals he scores off his butt).  But you see tons of 1-1 games where at the end you say it could or should have been 5-2, or 3-3 and several great chances go 20 rows into the stands for both sides.    

@matty is correct at this moment AJH has not played a full 90 consistently to push Larin off. I do think Larin has had bad misses and last night was one, but he'll come good soon again. With a more attacking styled team with OZ, I think Larin will get more opportunities to score. Let the team gel with new tactics set by OZ wished they had two games instead of one this window. Canada needs to get two games each chance they get for friendlies.