Cyle Larin

shermanator

8 hours ago, Yohan said:

After the fact

The point is that Caps, unlike Orlando, did not seem to value having the leading striker in the league. So they did not seem to consider an offer to better his salary. Orlando, I would imagine, is doing this right now. Caps were incredibly greedy and stupid, not surprising considering Lenarduzzi being there, while I think that Orlando is doing the right thing: offer him triple, so that he can refuse and still say Orlando was a grand ol' time.

That would be a pretty amazing transfer, assuming he would get serious playing time.  Once you remove Bayern as an outlier, Bundesliga isn't quite as strong (IMO) as the other 3 big leagues, but the level of play is still extremely high compared to the 2nd tier of European footy.  If Larin could regularly face that level of seasoned defenders, he could only get better and better. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be a pretty amazing transfer, assuming he would get serious playing time.  Once you remove Bayern as an outlier, Bundesliga isn't quite as strong (IMO) as the other 3 big leagues, but the level of play is still extremely high compared to the 2nd tier of European footy.  If Larin could regularly face that level of seasoned defenders, he could only get better and better. 

Actually the Bundesliga is 2nd in Europe (England is 3rd):

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Germany is probably my number 2 landing spot for him after a European competitive Belgium team (which seems highly unlikely to happen now after Genk backed away). I'd say of the big 4 the German league might be the most consistent if that makes sense and provide more room to grow and play.

People are saying the BPL are better than bundesliga....smh

Its not just Bayern, many German teams have went far into the Champions League in recent years including Schalke and Wolfsburg. Can't believe people slept on Borussia Dortmund too

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, canta15 said:

People are saying the BPL are better than bundesliga....smh

Its not just Bayern, many German teams have went far into the Champions League in recent years including Schalke and Wolfsburg. Can't believe people slept on Borussia Dortmund too

This is a good point. I do suspect the EPL is overrated, or at least they play a style that doesn't lend itself to success against continental Europe. How else do you explain the lack of Champions League success in recent years?

The strange thing is, on paper it is definitely a "top 2" league. Or perhaps the English-based player is simply overrated, making teams look better on paper than they are? Hard to tell anymore, really.

Edited by Obinna

Out of the to 4 leagues, I think his game would benefit most in Germany. It may force him to improve technically without being overwhelmed, or at least that's my hope.

Italy would be an interesting move, but it is hard to score in that league, which may be good or bad depending on how you view it. The top scorers in that league always seem to have lower totals than elsewhere.

Too bad we haven't seen any French links. I think that would be an interesting level for him. Signing for a OM or Lyon could provide a high level with enough chances that he's not completely glued to the bench, or so I dream. Realistically though, i'd feel better with a Rennes or Saint Etienne, where he'd really get a solid chance. I'm confident about that.

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a good point. I do suspect the EPL is overrated, or at least they play a style that doesn't lend itself to success against continental Europe. How else do you explain the lack of Champions League success in recent years?

The strange thing is, on paper it is definitely a "top 2" league. Or perhaps the English-based player is simply overrated, making teams look better on paper than they are? Hard to tell anymore, really.

I think it's hard to knock the EPL as overrated. It's likely the strongest league top to bottom in the world but lacks a true top 6 team in Europe atm.

Side note: Isn't it funny how English coaches never win shit?

Edited by matty

12 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

The EPL is a little overrated. Although i agree that it is the best league in terms of depth, the top teams are not nearly that of La Liga. Lets face it, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, and Barcalona have have been the top teams in recent years. The only two other teams rivalling them in that time being Juventus and Bayern.

Yea you could also add Sevilla to that if you want. La Liga owns the European cups outright. 5 CL and 6 Europa titles in the last decade including the last 3 of both.

To be fair to EPL, only La Liga have outdone them in CL finals appearances since 2007 and Man U will likely win Europa this year, for what it's worth.

EPL has the best foreigners of any league. The problem with EPL is the teams play an English style which does not highlight the talents of the top players (and makes the games hard to watch despite the talent on the pitch) and the domestic players who fill up the rest of the roster are below the standard of the other top 4 leagues. It is why a German team with good but not super star foreign players playing with good German players is often better as a team than EPL teams with top notch foreigners surrounded by lesser skilled English players.

8 hours ago, matty said:

Yea you could also add Sevilla to that if you want. La Liga owns the European cups outright. 5 CL and 6 Europa titles in the last decade including the last 3 of both.

To be fair to EPL, only La Liga have outdone them in CL finals appearances since 2007 and Man U will likely win Europa this year, for what it's worth.

No, you could not add Sevilla to that list. They win the Europa League but are shite in the Champions League

On 2017-5-19 at 9:25 PM, Obinna said:

Out of the to 4 leagues, I think his game would benefit most in Germany. It may force him to improve technically without being overwhelmed, or at least that's my hope.

Italy would be an interesting move, but it is hard to score in that league, which may be good or bad depending on how you view it. The top scorers in that league always seem to have lower totals than elsewhere.

Too bad we haven't seen any French links. I think that would be an interesting level for him. Signing for a OM or Lyon could provide a high level with enough chances that he's not completely glued to the bench, or so I dream. Realistically though, i'd feel better with a Rennes or Saint Etienne, where he'd really get a solid chance. I'm confident about that.

I pretty well agree with this too. Germany would be amazing, France too. Italy too hard to score in so hard to be happy in as a striker, it is so stingy for strikers. 

He's not yet good enough for Spain and probably not England either. 

Best article yet on his contract/transfer situation:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-transfer-value-mls-orlando-city-analysis-complicated

tl;dr: Most likely outcome is a MLS dp deal starting at $1.5M/yr. with a buyout clause of around $6-7M.

Only point the article missed is the likely un-enforceability of the MLS team-option year clauses. Larin's agent could easily threaten to have Larin just leave on a free after this season.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Best article yet on his contract/transfer situation:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-transfer-value-mls-orlando-city-analysis-complicated

tl;dr: Most likely outcome is a MLS dp deal starting at $1.5M/yr. with a buyout clause of around $6-7M.

Only point the article missed is the likely un-enforceability of the MLS team-option year clauses. Larin's agent could easily threaten to have Larin just leave on a free after this season.

Or just sell him this summer. Kid himself holds the cards IMO. 

Given the desultory transfer fees mentioned in the article I think Orlando's best move is to pay Larin a good chunk of money. $2M and a sell-on percentage versus keeping one of the league's best players in a good market that is still establishing itself? Of course, the Sigma guy representing Latin would probably love to see a transfer, as he would get a cut of both the fee and the higher European salary.

On May 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM, canta15 said:

No, you could not add Sevilla to that list. They win the Europa League but are shite in the Champions League

Give them some time. They have two appearances so far with the team improving each season, third in group stage to round of 16. Also, next season they have qualified by being top four in the league.

Edited by Macksam

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I just don't think Larin is good enough to command the salary that would make sense for him to end up in the top Euro leagues. Orlando should hold on to him - maybe in another 3-4 years he will be ready for that jump.

I don't think teams would want a 26 years old who played his whole career in Mls