Cyle Larin

shermanator

15 hours ago, frmr said:

From a purely financial standpoint it is a decent gamble on clubs recovering a bit next season and being willing to give a massive contract to a player they don't have to pay a fee for.  Fair play to him for backing himself if it is true. 

Needs to keep producing and stay healthy for that to really come off.  The things partially outside his control are how the clubs is doing and if they are not still fighting in Europe and up at the top of the league, do they keep playing him when they know he is leaving?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Something tells me he's being genuine and just doesn't want to go to OM or elsewhere in France. 

Maybe he's using the Atiba strategy? Hutchinson signed at Besiktas and PSV on free transfers...

I'm sure he is getting good advice on that one.

He could find himself frozen out a bit if he isn't careful though. OM is a good step. Maybe he wants a PL move or Germany? He might have made his bed and have to lie in it by refusing the contract. Last thing he needs is half a season or longer on the bench.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Something tells me he's being genuine and just doesn't want to go to OM or elsewhere in France. 

Maybe he's using the Atiba strategy? Hutchinson signed at Besiktas and PSV on free transfers...

I was thinking he may have Atiba giving him advice on his move. He has all the cards really. From January he can sign anywhere outside of Turkey on a free. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

So he's basically fucked Besiktas.

I’m interested how you have come to this conclusion? 
To me, he is playing out his contract that was agreed between player and club. Besiktas have reportedly had offers and turned them down. I would argue that Besiktas have already got much more value out of their investment in Larin than they had paid. They now just want even more. 
If Larin hadn’t been performing and playing well, Besiktas wouldn’t have offered him a new contract. Would you consider them to be screwing Larin in that circumstance?

Edited by maccaliam
Spelling

3 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Very smart. 

Further suggests that he is indeed getting good counsel on his end, if not from Atiba, then certainly from his agent. Larin is betting on himself here: If he can perform well during WCQ and a full season at Beskistas, then one would imagine his value will only go up. He seems to be getting better, still.  

I think it’s overstated how much he can raise his stock by staying at Besiktas. A 27 year old who has never played in a top 5 league will have a natural ceiling. Also, it’s just as possible IMO that his stock goes down with poor Champions league and / or regular season, injuries etc…

to me this is very much a “strike when the iron is hot” situation and the risk of staying around is greater than the reward 

Edited by Floortom

34 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

In an ideal scenario Larin moves to France or Germany and Hoilett comes to Besiktas on a free to continue the Canadian connection.

My thoughts exactly. Marseille coming in with a bid that high seems like BS though - they could just wait until January, sign him to a pre contract and then bid cheap for him. 

I don't follow OM but for the opener I did see they started Payet at CF and Konrad De La Fuente at LF.

Last time I checked Payet was not a number 9 and De La Fuente had trouble making an impact at Barca B (similar to Tabla). 

I can't remember who the third player on the frontline was, but I can see why they'd want Larin.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't follow OM but for the opener I did see they started Payet at CF and Konrad De La Fuente at LF.

Last time I checked Payet was not a number 9 and De La Fuente had trouble making an impact at Barca B (similar to Tabla). 

I can't remember who the third player on the frontline was, but I can see why they'd want Larin.

It was the Argentine, Benedetto. For me, he had a relatively quiet match.