Cyle Larin

shermanator

So do they like have Canadian flags hanging outside the Besiktas stadium?  You'd think so.

It's wild seeing Hutch pass to Larin, chills every time.  

I'm really torn between him staying one more year or leaving for EPL next year.  He's doing so well, it's great to see.  The only sad part of all this is he's doing it in an empty stadium, unfortunate he doesn't get to hear and see the fans chant his name. They're soo passionate there.

Edited by costarg

He has one year remaining on his first contract with Besiktas which we can assume to be of modest pay.  Playing out the final year is a massive financial gamble for both Cyle and Besiktas.  These situations usually force a lucrative new deal or a transfer. I predict the latter.  This is Cyle's chance to get an 8 figure payday and for Besiktas to get a much needed cash infusion.

10 hours ago, JasonDias said:

I think he should stick at the club at least one more season. Play some Champs (gotta think they have a good enough squad to win out a playoff and make group stage) and try to win a scoring title. Not likely that he'd make a big enough impact to win trophies in England but in Turkey he can be the star. 

I think winning the league would put him and Besiktas directly in the group stage, but someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think winning the league would put him and Besiktas directly in the group stage, but someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

They should. They wouldn't if this year's winner doesn't qualify via their league play. This doesn't appear to be an issue this year, which helps alot of our guys.

- Besiktas would qualify for the group stage

- Mitjyland (currently first in Denmark) bumps up to playoff round

- Red Star bumps up to 2nd qualifying round

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Seriously.

Hard to say no to EPL wages. 

I would not say no to Larin at West Ham. His improved workrate would make him a (hopefully) healthy Antonio replacement.  Not quite the brute the new Jamaican? is but is a better finisher generally and in his prime. We need at least two actual strikers and have none fit currently.  And Everton's loss yesterday mean we have a decent chance to still be playing somewhere  in Europe. 

But his play might be pricing him out a second striker/take a punt level of transfer fee. And we have a sad record of breaking players' fitness including Canadians like Doneil Henry. 

He needs to go now if a team from one of the bigger leagues comes calling . He is turning 27 in 2022 , an athlete’s career is short . With what he has done this season I’m pretty sure a bigger team from one of the top four leagues in Europe will want to sign him . He can’t wait , he can stay and who knows gets injured or has a bad season and his opportunity of a big pay day and playing in one of the top leagues is gone. As an pro athlete if you can make money where once you retire you never have to work another day in your life if you don’t want to then that’s sweet. I think Larin would be in that situation if a top team  in any of the big four leagues wants him. 

Edited by SoccMan

I don’t think this will be just a Cyle Larin decision.  He will go if Besiktas needs the money and wants to sell him to sign other players they have on loan that they want to put on a permanent deal (e.g. Rosier).  If they don’t want to sell him, then he stays; have no issues with either scenario.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

He’s 26 year old and coming off the season of his life. He needs to take his shot now - no guarantee he’ll ever have a chance like this again.

To play in the Premier League or to play in Turkey...I know if I were Larin, I would play in England. Isn't it every footballer's goal to play in the Premier League? Or play in Serie A? Bundesliga? Or French Ligue 1?

My point being if there is an EPL offer on the table, he has to take it

Absolutely Larin has to take the opportunity to get his big pay day because sports are so unpredictable, fluke injuries happen more often then you think.

That being said, I can't comprehend the great improvement Larin has made over the years as a goal scoring machine. I still remember the 2017 Gold Cup and how poor he looked and everyone pissed he started over Cavalini after joining the team late. Strikers like this are so important in national teams, especially us who never had a goal scorer like him so early on his career (now we have 2 with David). I really hope he makes the jump to EPL or bigger league because I truthfully think he is ready. A mid-table EPL team that allows him to play would be ideal especially in an important year coming up for Canada, competing in the best league can only help him! Keep it up Cyle!

I am kinda concerned about him being used as a lone striker in the EPL though, even as a replacement option. If he makes that move to a higher level, I think he has a much better chance of succeeding if he's not the one expected to go head to head with 2 CB's, like Herdman said. He should be the second option, probably from the wing. I think Aboubakar, and the way he occupies space has helped Larin a lot.

Edited by PiedPilko

14 hours ago, Floortom said:

He’s 26 year old and coming off the season of his life. He needs to take his shot now - no guarantee he’ll ever have a chance like this again.

Yep. While staying in Turkey wouldn't be the worst thing, and it would be cool to see him continuing this form next season in front of Besiktas fans in the stands, he needs to go while the interest in him is there.

I also want him to join this list, hopefully Corbeanu can also get on there soon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players#Canada

I think being selfish as a CMNT fan I’d rather he stay at Besiktas because there’s less risk of losing form. He’s such a big part of their success and the level is high enough that it really helps our team.

However, for him personally, he has to take the pay day when it comes. This next contract he signs will surely be the biggest contract of his entire career, so he has to cash in.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I think being selfish as a CMNT fan I’d rather he stay at Besiktas because there’s less risk of losing form. He’s such a big part of their success and the level is high enough that it really helps our team.

However, for him personally, he has to take the pay day when it comes. This next contract he signs will surely be the biggest contract of his entire career, so he has to cash in.

I mean naturally yes I too would like him to stay in Turkey but if he is to play in England, he has a chance to further elevate his game and also in England in the Premier League, he gets to play amongst and against the world's most elite players on a weekly basis. So as they say, you go where the money is.

The thing about EPL or any other major league vs Besiktas is you never know if it'll be a good situation.  The wrong system or coach could set him back a couple of years.  Of course I'd love to see him play and kick ass at the EPL level, but what I really really want for him is to keep playing and scoring regularly at a good level, and he's doing that now.  

If he moves and only gets 10 starts, then that isn't necessarily better than his current situation.

If he moves we should be prepared to expect him to come off the bench, at least to start. It was the same at Besiktas, where it took him going out on loan, and coming back to play with the right strike partner. There was a time where it looked like he wouldn't make it, but he did. I expect the same roller coaster if he moves to Everton, West Ham or Leeds.

As for the Altidore comparison, well he moved to Sunderland for a relatively big fee and was the major acquisition for that club, so that's a lot of pressure. Then, things didn't go well and the pressure increased and it was a vicious circle he couldn't get out of.

As impressive as Larin has been, he's not going to move to any of those 3 clubs and be the main player the club relies on. He'd probably feel the most pressure at Leeds, but Everton and West Ham have much bigger players than Larin. They'll spend 8-12 million Euros and expect production, but he'll be one of many and so the pressure won't be the same, I think.

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Changing to an England address puts the man on TV every week.

Just saying.

Which is what I'm sure every Canadian wants to see and Larin with the right club in England could flourish and honestly to play in England...if there was anyone deserving of that, it would be Cyle

I think we should wait and see if Larin at Besiktas gives us results in a month in 4 key matches to get into the Octagon. I mean the point is to have players on form and confident. For Concacaf we really should not need an EPL starter to make the WC, not necessarily. 

I'm just being self-centred. Everyone seems enthused by Haaland, but Norway looks like they are going to miss on the WC because he does not deliver for them, not even with some other bright names. 

Basically I am saying that if Tyler Pasher and Cavallini get us into the fall alive in WC qualifying, I could care less where Larin plays.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think we should wait and see if Larin at Besiktas gives us results in a month in 4 key matches to get into the Octagon. I mean the point is to have players on form and confident. For Concacaf we really should not need an EPL starter to make the WC, not necessarily. 

I'm just being self-centred. Everyone seems enthused by Haaland, but Norway looks like they are going to miss on the WC because he does not deliver for them, not even with some other bright names. 

Basically I am saying that if Tyler Pasher and Cavallini get us into the fall alive in WC qualifying, I could care less where Larin plays.

I think that's short sighted. Ultimately we want all our players abroad to do well on their clubs, its what will give future Canadian players a chance. A guy like Larin doing that, and doing it in the EPL (even if he never sees the same success with the CMNT) does just that. National team performances aren't the only way players can contribute to the national team/program.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Changing to an England address puts the man on TV every week.

Just saying.

If  he plays.  It took awhile ( a wasted 2018/19 year even after he scored 4 goals at the tail end of the first season) and a successful loan deal in Belgium before he forced his way into the lineup.  I'd hate to see him go to EPL, get hurt or sit on the bench, then have to get a loan to a championship side, then MB the year after get into some games.  I wish him well either way.  

After saying all that, who is going to say no to EPL wages???  Or the chance to play on the biggest stage??