Cyle Larin

shermanator

13 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

He had a phenomenal season in 10/11 and unlike Larin he was strictly a wide player. After Davies and Hoilett he's perhaps the best winger to wear the Canada jersey in the last 25 years. Such a shame that his career came to a sudden end when he had just reached his prime. I can't help but to wonder how the 2014 campaign might have unfolded if he was still playing.

Still remember a cross field pass against Spain in the U20 World Cup where he controlled the ball with the outside of his right foot and the Spanish player closing him down ran between him and the ball. It was beautiful 

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

Still remember a cross field pass against Spain in the U20 World Cup where he controlled the ball with the outside of his right foot and the Spanish player closing him down ran between him and the ball. It was beautiful 

As I recall he scored a stunning goal against Burkina Faso to get us into the quarter finals.

I love the part of “and he’s cheap too at only £13 million”.

Just running the conversion - that’s $18 million USD.  Davies was transferred for $22 million USD.  So this would be the 3rd largest for a Canadian.

Heady days indeed for Canadian football.

Edited by baulderdash77

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

https://tbrfootball.com/report-west-ham-battling-sam-allardyce-for-13m-rated-striker/

Another report linking Larin with a move to the EPL, specifically to West Ham.

That article talks a lot about him being ok playing second fiddle to Antonio. A guy who's roughly scoring 1 in 4 games with his time at West Ham... Why the hell would he be content in that second fiddle role. Granted I don't watch West Ham but imo Larin gives this guy a legit run for his money. 

Antonio is also worth around the same amount as the rumoured transfer fee and 5 years older... he has been hot for a year now though.

Slightly off topic but that’s why I believe he’s using Jamaica to leverage England. He’s hot as ever and 30 so needs a call ASAP. 

6 minutes ago, grigorio said:

That article talks a lot about him being ok playing second fiddle to Antonio. A guy who's roughly scoring 1 in 4 games with his time at West Ham... Why the hell would he be content in that second fiddle role. Granted I don't watch West Ham but imo Larin gives this guy a legit run for his money. 

Antonio is averaging 0.73 G+A/90 this year and Larin is at 0.66 against weaker competition.  West Ham is a good team right now so let’s not underrate them.

3 hours ago, grigorio said:

Maybe living in London, playing in the Prem, and the extra 15 000 UKP per week?

12 hours ago, grigorio said:

I do watch West Ham. When Antonio is on form he is unplayable. And 1 in 4 .... keep in mind that for most of his career at West Ham he was played as a winger (and at times even a right back under Pellegrini). Moyes has moved him to center forward in much the same style as he did with Arnautovic, and like Arnie, Antonio's strike rate has risen considerably since the move. I like Larin, but he's not (yet) in the same class as Antonio.

Also, Antonio gives a real outlet to West Ham when playing against the larger Sky 6 clubs (when we tend to see even less of the ball). His hold up play and ability to generally mess about with defenders all on his lonesome is fantastic. I'm yet to see this skillset from Larin, and in fact most of the highlights I see of him scoring in Turkey have him running toward the far post and getting on the end of square crosses. West Ham (especially with Lingard coming on) have the ability to break down teams and create, but these games seem to be limited to fixtures against teams in the bottom half. Should he move I feel that Larin would be most productive against teams like Leeds (flow forward, suspect at the back, but don't play the style as well as Man City).

Edited by Varsity Tyler

8 hours ago, grigorio said:

My point is I don't think Larin just happily slots into some back up role to a guy 5 years his senior. I think he'd give him a run for his money. 

But being brought in as a back-up would be the perfect situation for Larin.  I get the feeling that confidence is a big part of his game and that goes just as quickly as it comes.  I think he'd be more successful being brought in with second-string expectations rather than a situation like David at Lille.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

But being brought in as a back-up would be the perfect situation for Larin.  I get the feeling that confidence is a big part of his game and that goes just as quickly as it comes.  I think he'd be more successful being brought in with second-string expectations rather than a situation like David at Lille.

Larin seems to be at his best when he plays regularly. I'm not sure if the second-string striker role would be the good for his confidence. It can quickly become a vicious circle where he's not performing because he's not getting enough playing time and the coach won't play him more because he's not scoring.

I think Larin has quietly improved his entire attacking game. His style isn't very aesthetically nice to look at, but he's getting the job done in almost every respect. His ball control / passing isn't elite or anything, but he scores goals and seems competent at everything else. He still has trouble getting past his man on the sides, but he makes up for it by confusing defenders with his positioning.

He had a regular assist and hockey assist today. Really nice work on the 2-0 goal.

I love that Larin has clearly added another dimension to his game. in Orlando he was you your typical target CF relying on the service of his team mates (freaking Kaka), whereas with Besiktas he's learned how to play in deeper positions and get involved in attacking sequences (while still being lethal in front of net when the opportunity presents itself).

I still think the gravitas of Larin being a legit starter, and consistent contributor for Besiktas is not felt enough around here. Not long ago I recall that Atiba playing and starting for them was a big deal (and still is), and now Larin is doing the same, but at a much younger age. Perhaps we've just been a wee bit too spoiled as of late haha.

19 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I love that Larin has clearly added another dimension to his game. in Orlando he was you your typical target CF relying on the service of his team mates (freaking Kaka), whereas with Besiktas he's learned how to play in deeper positions and get involved in attacking sequences (while still being lethal in front of net when the opportunity presents itself).

I still think the gravitas of Larin being a legit starter, and consistent contributor for Besiktas is not felt enough around here. Not long ago I recall that Atiba playing and starting for them was a big deal (and still is), and now Larin is doing the same, but at a much younger age. Perhaps we've just been a wee bit too spoiled as of late haha.

On top of that, it's anyone's guess how close he was to being cut instead of Tyler Boyd. He almost lost his job at the beginning of the season, and now he's on the verge of a move to EPL. I don't think we appreciate how he's completely turned his career around.

3 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

The Turkish league is so underrated, didn’t Hutchinson bring him there ? Watch them grab Akinola as a replacement.