Cyle Larin

shermanator

They are talking about a swap with Cenk Tosun. 

While I would like to see Larin at Everton, I would feel better about a straight up buy. Do they really want Cyle or do they just want to get Tosun off their books?

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I personally want Larin at a club where he's viewed as an important signing, not where he's brought in as a makeweight. Perhaps right now that's unrealistic for a club the size of Everton, and one could argue he should take the big step up regardless, but I have no problem with him taking a smaller step up first, if that's what it takes.

That said, for all I know he was already on their radar and Tosun is the makeweight in this situation. I do believe they were linked to him back when he was at Orlando, for what it's worth. 

Edited by Obinna

If Larin continues this form and Besiktas win a trophy, and Davies and David fail to win trophies, I think he's a serious contender for Canadian player of the year. Obviously a lot has to happen, and there's a long way to go, but it's shaping up to be a 3-horse race instead of a 2-horse race, which is refreshing. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

If Larin continues this form and Besiktas win a trophy, and Davies and David fail to win trophies, I think he's a serious contender for Canadian player of the year. Obviously a lot has to happen, and there's a long way to go, but it's shaping up to be a 3-horse race instead of a 2-horse race, which is refreshing. 

Need to score some important WCQ goals too to cement it.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah this is a huge year for the CMNT. I don't think this year's winner will necessarily be the best club player, it's going to come down to performance with Canada.

Which would also be refreshing. I personally like having to weigh the club success with the national team success, but we couldn't do that at all last year. 

55 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Nice! Didn't even realize they were playing as it wasn't mentioned by any of the Canadian followers on twitter or here... rare.

In fairness it was in the Canadian players and prospects thread that specifically previews upcoming games with CMNT players.  

it should be stickied to the top of the page IMO.  

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

27-year old Gabon international. I believe he also played in France at one point.

He is actually born in 1996 so 25 a year younger than Larin, but before this season this guy’s only serious minutes was like 3 years ago in the French 3rd division with 15 goals . But the past two seasons was hardly getting any game minutes bouncing around the Portuguese lower divisions and French lower divisions hardly playing and barely scoring . But somehow finds himself in the Turkish top division this season and leads the league with 18 goals with Larin in second . Larin has such a better playing and scoring history compared to this guy but there he is leading the league in scoring. Soccer is indeed a strange game at times .

Edited by SoccMan

It should be noted that with his 13th league goal for the season Larin surpasses Josh Simpson for the highest number of goals in the Super Lig by a Canadian in a single season. He also ties Simpson's career total of 18.

Edit: The 18 league goals by Simpson/Larin isn't the highest career total by a Canadian. Hutch has 21 ... and counting.

Edited by Norrin Radd

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

That would be awesome. I was worried there would be only 2 candidates for the next decade. The award goes calendar year. So if Eustaquio moves to a top 3 Portuguese team this summer he could join this club as well.

Edited by Stryker911

Just now, Stryker911 said:

That would be awesome. I was worried there would be only 2 candidates for the next decade. The award goes calendar year. So if Ferreira moves to a top 3 Portuguese team this summer he could join this club as well.

You mean Eustaquio and yes, I think having him do well with a Porto or Lisbon, winning titles and starring in their midfield, well that would certainly put him up there.

4 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

It should be noted that with his 13th league goal for the season Larin surpasses Josh Simpson for the highest number of goals in the Super Lig by a Canadian in a single season. He also ties Simpson's career total of 18.

Edit: The 18 league goals by Simpson/Larin isn't the highest career total by a Canadian. Hutch has 21 ... and counting.

You made me realise how good Josh was in Turkey, I guess back then it was harder to pay attention. But still, pretty good for Simpson.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You made me realise how good Josh was in Turkey, I guess back then it was harder to pay attention. But still, pretty good for Simpson.

He had a phenomenal season in 10/11 and unlike Larin he was strictly a wide player. After Davies and Hoilett he's perhaps the best winger to wear the Canada jersey in the last 25 years. Such a shame that his career came to a sudden end when he had just reached his prime. I can't help but to wonder how the 2014 campaign might have unfolded if he was still playing.