Cyle Larin

shermanator

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like there are four odd men out according to that article, though maybe the other 3 are not strikers

Larin appears to be safe:

decision was made that Boyd -- along with defenders Nicolas Isimat-Mirin and Douglas, and midfielder Jeremain Lens -- wouldn't be registered. While some transfer windows around the world -- including MLS -- remain open, for the moment it looks like the quartet will be sidelined until January.

I feel bad for the player and their fans must be gutted, because just as all their guys start to become healthy, this happens. 

At the same time, as a Canada fan I don’t want the USA to get too far ahead of us now that we are starting to keep pace. This sets them back to a small degree, so that is kinda good news.

59 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel bad for the player and their fans must be gutted, because just as all their guys start to become healthy, this happens. 

At the same time, as a Canada fan I don’t want the USA to get too far ahead of us now that we are starting to keep pace. This sets them back to a small degree, so that is kinda good news.

We are better off now than a decade ago sure... and we're getting better in CONCACAF (in paper at least, we really haven't done a thing) but sorry, let's be real here, anyone who believes we are keeping pace with the USA is delusional or just simply not paying attention to the rapid surge in talent USA soccer is experiencing. They are set to explode in the next decade, with all their investments in MLS and its academies starting to bear fruit. They have a wider bottom line and ceiling than us. Boyd isn't even a sure starter for them, so trust me, him not playing will not affect then at all. 

2 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

We are better off now than a decade ago sure... and we're getting better in CONCACAF (in paper at least, we really haven't done a thing) but sorry, let's be real here, anyone who believes we are keeping pace with the USA is delusional or just simply not paying attention to the rapid surge in talent USA soccer is experiencing. They are set to explode in the next decade, with all their investments in MLS and its academies starting to bear fruit. They have a wider bottom line and ceiling than us. Boyd isn't even a sure starter for them, so trust me, him not playing will not affect then at all. 

I second this.  I still think we should build up a ferocious rivalry and go into a home match vs. the US expecting to win, but they are definitely trending towards a higher tier now.

7 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

So we should just give up and not bother than?

Sorry but there more to this game than population and how much money you throw at a program. Using resources wisely at the right places with a good plan matters more.

If you talk Canada-US, yes it will take time for us to be a consistent top 3 CONCACAF nation - we just got a domestic league last year after all and it seem people are forgetting how big of an handicap it was to not have one all theses years.

Relax, we'll get there.

6 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I understand the sentiment... but i'm quite sure athletes aren't the source of socioeconomic inequality...

Lol I know it's not their problem, if someone wanted to give me a ton of money to professionally play a sport I definitely ain't saying no. It's just hard to feel sympathy for them financially when they're so well off.

It makes me think about the South Park episode where Lars Ulrich can't afford his gold pool because people are downloading his music, I know most athletes aren't anywhere near that rich but it feels like that sometimes when I see people feeling sorry for them. I think Boyd will be ok...

16 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I mean, I agree that on paper the USA are growing much quicker than we are, but also we played them pretty evenly over the two legs in Nations League. So there's that. Clearly we are closer than before. You gotta acknowledge that part, right? A few cycles ago we would have lost both of those games with a 4-5 goal spread.

But I know what you mean. They are going to explode. I know they have a LOT of talent coming up. The MLS academies are starting to bare fruit.

But don't forget we also have MLS academies too. It makes a difference for us as well. We have the CanPL now too.

Both countries are poised for big growth in the next decade. The USA will produce more because they are bigger. It's obvious. They'll always have a depth advantage, but as long as we produce enough top players it won't matter too much. You can only put 11 players on the field.

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I mean, I agree that on paper the USA are growing much quicker than we are, but also we played them pretty evenly over the two legs in Nations League. So there's that. Clearly we are closer than before. You gotta acknowledge that part, right? A few cycles ago we would have lost both of those games with a 4-5 goal spread.

But I know what you mean. They are going to explode. I know they have a LOT of talent coming up. The MLS academies are starting to bare fruit.

But don't forget we also have MLS academies too. It makes a difference for us as well. We have the CanPL now too.

Both countries are poised for big growth in the next decade. The USA will produce more because they are bigger. It's obvious. They'll always have a depth advantage, but as long as we produce enough top players it won't matter too much. You can only put 11 players on the field.

The first one yeah... the 2nd one, we downright got smacked, period. Saying that they are better does not mean we won't be able to take them on, it just means than more often than not, they will beat us. And we do have MLS academies, too, and they are also starting to bear fruit, just they have more, and I'd argue I'll take a decade (being optimistic here) for the CPL to start producing some genuine tier 1 (as Herdman likes to call it) potential talent (it took MLS longer, and they it's a bigger league). Our goal should not be to try and better than the USA or Mexico (we are nowhere near close to that), it should be to be better than everyone else after (which is realistic and feasible)

9 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Back to MLS? I hope not. Hopefully he goes to the Netherlands in January. Not Seattle: https://tweetspor.com/cyle-larine-mlsden-talip-cikti/22926/

I'd rather him go back to the MLS rather than staying in Turkey but Seattle are pretty stacked up front I don't see why they'd want Larin

Edited by Nate3322