shermanator

Cyle Larin

These are the kinds of plays that are a clear improvement by Larin in the last 16 months.  

With this type of productivity and impact he’s showing I don’t expect that Besiktas is going to give him a transfer.  They’re going to want to keep him for themselves.  

6 minutes ago, jordan said:

Chance he plays now that he’s included in the squad, one pundit there referee to him as there number 1 striker.

Thats an incredibly small squad. Especially if they move on through Europa League qualifing. Good for Larin as he will get a decent amount of playing time.

Even if he is not in Besiktas' long term plans, this is a win win for Larin, if he keeps playing and keeps having good games then either other suitors will continue to want him (he's already proved himself in Belgium) or Besiktas will start to seriously consider keeping him for good. Larin just needs to keep making the best of his opportunities. He is still relatively young and not quite at his prime yet.

Edited by LeoH037

37 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Besiktas just signed Aboubacar from Porto. I imagine he would start ahead of Larin. Already played a season with Besiktas in 2017.

He also tore his ACL back in 2018 and missed most of the 18-19 season. The following season he struggled to make the bench for Porto and had a few muscle and knee problems along the way. His goal rate was incredible at Porto and Besiktas (roughly a goal every 2 games), but now he's sort of damaged goods, which is probably why Besiktas only gave him a 1 year contract. 

Besiktas are very thin at CF right now. Obviously I want Larin to succeed, but he is still in the process of proving himself. The other option, Yalcin, is still only 21. That is not enough depth for a club like Besiktas. With Yilmaz gone to Lille they needed someone who is proven at this level, which Aboubacar is. He needed a club that would give him a chance, which Besiktas will. The move makes sense for both, but he struggled to see the field with Porto post-injury, so I don't think it's a given he'll be a slam dunk.

Larin might still even remain as the starter for all we know, or if not he'll probably get his chance again quickly if Aboubacar struggles out the gate. This won't be a Jonathan David situation where the manager will keep giving him chance after chance, I don't think. It may even be Aboubacar who keeps Larin on his toes, rather than the reverse. We'll have to see.

Edited by Obinna

27 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Jozy Altidore was fantastic in his two years as AZ.  In fact, it was basically his only 2 productive years playing in Europe.

He was 22-24 during his time there. Larin at 25 would be going there a little later. Regardless, would be a good situation for him I think.

Tyler Boyd has now been mentioned as a potential departing foreigner. Seems unlikely, as he's started all of their games this season, but fact of the matter is someone must move to make space for Aboubacar.

There's more of a chance it's Larin in my opinion, but having 21-year old Yalcin and Aboubacar as your only CF options feels pretty thin. I bet Besiktas would ideally love to rid themselves of Jermaine Lens, but if not Larin is probably next most likely to depart....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/seven-american-players-to-watch-in-final-weeks-of-transfer-window/ar-BB19vOtP

Tyler Boyd, Besiktas

The only reason the newly-minted USMNT man would be sold is if the Turkish side needs his international slot to acquire reinforcements at another position.

The 25-year-old winger has started all five of Besiktas’ matches this season between domestic play, Europa League, and the Champions League. He’s scored once, bringing his total with the Turkish side to four goals in 33 outings.

Where would he go? Doubtful he wants to go anywhere, but Rizespor has been mentioned. Besiktas’ other foreigners include two Canadians in Cyle Larin and Atiba Hutchinson.

Looks like Larin will indeed stay at Beşiktaş until at least January. Tyler Boyd is the odd man out and will now have to wait on the sidelines until the window reopens in January. Beşiktaş were over the foreign limit with the arrival of Aboubakar and someone was going to have to move. That is where the Larin rumours to AZ Alkmaar began. In the end, it was Boyd and with the window shut he is now essentially frozen out.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/10/gregg-berhalter-unhappy-tyler-boyds-club-situation-turkeys-besiktas

Edited by Obinna