What do you expect the CPL to be like?

matty

15 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

My concern is in places like Sask where the Roughriders are a provincial obsession, and in Alberta where the Dinos and Stamps rule the summer and the Eddies has been losing money for years, both places that the National team seldom goes, it might keep them perpetually down in the low 2-3 thousands like FC Edmonton. That said, the Foothills seem to get good support, so hopefully I'm off base on that one.

Given we don't know if the backers are even going to be CFL owners (and I'll be honest, given the community ownership of Edmonton, Sask and Winnipeg, I think is a hard sell for them) one can only speculate. Calgary, I'm less worried, mainly because the only owner I see is CSE and they know how to market.

Foothills does not get good support in Calgary; they draw about a third of what the last PDL iteration drew 15 years ago. IMO four main factors are involved:

1. Calgary is a terrible sports city to begin with. There is huge support for big events (ie. NHL playoffs, Raptors exhibition game) but that is about it. If the weather is bad, people will stay indoors. If the weather is good, people will go to the mountains.

2. Relying on a fan base of Foothills members is extremely unreliable, as Foothills games may be these people's third or fourth soccer event of the week.

3. The level of play is too low for those in the city outside of the Foothills members who could be interested to care.

4. Youth soccer in Calgary is very petty and those involved with other youth clubs will not support Foothills.

Flames ownership knows how to market, so if they are the owners, that bodes well for a CPL club in Calgary. That is really the prime reason for optimism for a CPL club in this city.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hopefully The CanPL can get  attendances like the women's world cup did in 2015  

6 June Canada 1-0 China PR Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton 53,058

6 June New Zealand 0-1 Netherlands Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton 53,058

7 June Germany 10-0 Ivory Coast  TD Place , Ottawa 20,953

7 June Norway 4-0 Thailand TD Place , Ottawa 20,953

8 June Sweden 3-3 Nigeria Investors Group Field , Winnipeg 31,184

8 June USA 3-1 Australia Investors Group Field  , Winnipeg 31,184

9 June France 1-0 England Moncton Stadium, Moncton 11,686

9 June Colombia 1-1 Mexico Moncton Stadium, Moncton 11,686

11 June Canada 0-0 New Zealand Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton 35,544

11 June China PR 1-0 Netherlands Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton 35,544

11 June Ivory Coast 2-3 Thailand TD Place , Ottawa 18,987

9 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

hopefully The CanPL can get  attendances like the women's world cup did in 2015  

6 June Canada 1-0 China PR Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton 53,058

6 June New Zealand 0-1 Netherlands Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton 53,058

Time for the Edmonton Aviators Mk II if all the mysterious still to be revealed investors are thinking along similar lines:

http://www.eightysixforever.com/2009/4/6/1615807/requiem-for-a-dream-the-edmonton

but judging by all the delays lessons have probably been learned since then.

Archived