Unconfirmed: Ottawa Fury to become Impact's USL affiliate. FC Montreal to be shut down

shermanator

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be too surprising if this happens. FC Montreal is probably one of the teams that hurts the USL application for Div 2 status. They don't even charge for tickets. The USL brass said teams would have to step up or they wouldn't be in the league...and voila!!

Nothing wrong with signing an affiliate deal. I think FC Montreal was on it's way to getting scuppered no matter what. Some USL clubs have signed affiliate deals with multiple MLS clubs over the years. Just because you are an affiliate one year doesn't mean you plan to be the next.

FC Montreal no longer playing in USL doesn't surprise me. With USL going after D2 sanction, FC Montreal doesn't fit in USL plans in terms of requirements. However, FC Montreal should have been move to the PLSQ D3 league (which could be the their plan). OFFC makes much more sense for Montreal than FC Montreal

I agree with @Alex DIf this ends up happening, then this is really disappointing of the Fury. Just over a year ago they were perceived as one of the better clubs in NASL - successful on the pitch and in the stands. Self relegating to USL (or maybe just abandoning the ship as it sinks) during NASL instability is one thing, but shuttering your academy, and becoming the Impact's farm team is another. 

I feel bad for the Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot right now. To me, the Fury's current situation is not much better than the Fury's PDL days.

Probably a stop gap measure until the CPL but disappointing for both Impact and especially Fury fans. I wonder what type of attendance they will get as a USL team that is an Impact affiliate. I suspect it will be a pretty empty Landsdowne Stadium next year.

By the way, FC Montreal did charge admission but it was only $5 and Impact season ticket holders got in for free.

I need to hear the Fury say something before i can decide how to take this.

If we have full control over who we take on loan, and who gets playing time 

Then no problem its just a loan agreement situation really, outside the optics.

Unless it screws V-cup for us, which are the games i look forward to the most.. or its a sign to come re: not joining CPL.. then i'm upset.

In the past the Impact preferred the extra travel associated with the latter day CSL to the more local PLSQ format, so this is probably a CPL team waiting to happen, if the various multimillionaires involved can compromise and cooperate. The history of Canadian soccer suggests that's a very big if, however, especially when Joey Saputo is involved.

3 hours ago, Kibby said:

I need to hear the Fury say something before i can decide how to take this.

If we have full control over who we take on loan, and who gets playing time 

Then no problem its just a loan agreement situation really, outside the optics.

Unless it screws V-cup for us, which are the games i look forward to the most.. or its a sign to come re: not joining CPL.. then i'm upset.

Impact players on their affiliate will be expected to play so lineup decisions for Ottawa Fury will reflect that, a loss of independence for the Fury. Hopefully 4 or less players will only be on loan and not the full 8 the MLS-USL agreement allows for as an affiliate.

Had hoped they would stay an independent but thought they may become a minor league affiliate for an MLS franchise with the cost cutting they were doing.

On 12/6/2016 at 2:51 AM, masster said:

Wouldn't be too surprising if this happens. FC Montreal is probably one of the teams that hurts the USL application for Div 2 status. They don't even charge for tickets. The USL brass said teams would have to step up or they wouldn't be in the league...and voila!!

On 12/6/2016 at 3:49 AM, Ansem said:

FC Montreal no longer playing in USL doesn't surprise me. With USL going after D2 sanction, FC Montreal doesn't fit in USL plans in terms of requirements. However, FC Montreal should have been move to the PLSQ D3 league (which could be the their plan). OFFC makes much more sense for Montreal than FC Montreal

This and this. FC Montreal was an (at times embarrassing) amateur club in a professional league. They did the league no favours. Disappointing for Fury though, who may now have to be kicked out of the V-Cup. 

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/12/08/le-parcours-du-montreal-fc-dans-la-usl-est-termine

Journal de Montréal is reporting the same thing.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2016/12/08/le-fc-montreal-ferme-ses-portes?utm_medium=cxense&utm_source=journaldemontreal.com&utm_campaign=reco#cxrecs_s

Same for TVA sports

Hopefully FC Montreal has enough players willing to play in PLSQ.

Fury will most likely be out of V-Cup

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Impact players on their affiliate will be expected to play so lineup decisions for Ottawa Fury will reflect that, a loss of independence for the Fury. Hopefully 4 or less players will only be on loan and not the full 8 the MLS-USL agreement allows for as an affiliate.

Had hoped they would stay an independent but thought they may become a minor league affiliate for an MLS franchise with the cost cutting they were doing.

Other supporters of affiliate clubs have said the opposite about who controls playing time.  We'll only be loaned some players probably 1 to 4.  If what you are saying is the case then im cancellin my season tickets.

I can't see how IMFC would have any control over any of that.  They don't own the Fury and the  Fury already has 15 players.. including many starters, if better Fury players have to sit so some 19year old shitter from Montreal who isn't as good plays then this is bullshit

Archived