CPL locations betting pool

Gopherbashi

OK, I'm going to fly in the face of all the NASL doom and gloom, and make my picks based on the vote thread from a couple months ago. Here's my 6 teams to start:

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto (proper), Hamilton, Ottawa

For expansion, in keeping with the vote thread, I'll put down Unnamed Trialists votes for shits and giggles:

Nanaimo, Medicine Hat, Brandon, Swift Current, Sudbury, Guelph, Sherbrooke, and Kingston.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

For expansion, in keeping with the vote thread, I'll put down Unnamed Trialists votes for shits and giggles:

Nanaimo, Medicine Hat, Brandon, Swift Current, Sudbury, Guelph, Sherbrooke, and Kingston.

OK no offense meant to my neighbours in Nanaimo... who am I kidding ...:lol:

6 minutes ago, ted said:

OK no offense meant to my neighbours in Nanaimo... who am I kidding ...:lol:

A team in Nanaimo & one in Victoria would make for a pretty sweet derby though. No ferries involved!

Of course, the drive up the Malahat would be murder...

*Edit: Word correction. Though the original, "The drive of the Malahat," does sound like a kinda neat parade or something...

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

A team in Nanaimo & one in Victoria would make for a pretty sweet derby though. No ferries involved!

Of course, the drive up the Malahat would be murder...

*Edit: Word correction. Though the original, "The drive of the Malahat," does sound like a kinda neat parade or something...

Actually the correct local usage is to "drive over the Malahat".  ;)

The Malahat derby would be sweet but no way Nanaimo can support a CPL team currently, heck, if we are being honest Victoria is barely large enough a market.

That said, I would love to see Nanaimo in a BC D3 and we could do cup ties in the early rounds of the Voyaguers Cup.

• 3 months later...

Western Confrence

Victoria

Vancouver 

Bunaby/Surrey 

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatoon

Regina

Winnipeg

Saskatoon

Thunder Bay ( They have the Thunder Bay chill and yes I know it's Ontario but it's northern Ontario)

EASTERN CONFRENCE

Kitchener-Waterloo

London

Hamilton

Toronto (Midtown/Danforth or North York )

Laval 

Montreal-Downtown

Québec City

Moncton

Halifax

Mississauga 

• 1 year later...

So now that we pretty much know which teams are going to be in the league for 2019, I thought I'd go through this thread now and see how far off all our guesses were (really only 16 months ago!)

23 people guessed; the average size of the league was 6.9 teams (dragged upwards by a few larger guesses - I'd say most people guessed six).

There were six main locations that people guessed would have teams year one: Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, and Ottawa.  Of those six, only three (those in bold) have been confirmed for year one, with a fourth (Ottawa, in italics) being highly suspected but not confirmed at this time.  Regina and Toronto have no team.

Of the other teams confirmed, Victoria/Surrey had 5/3 votes respectively, Edmonton was not on the radar with everyone suspecting the Faths would ride the NASL to their graves, Halifax was low on everyone's list (the presentation to council happened in the spring after these guesses were made), and poor York Region was deemed less likely to have a team than Thunder Bay, Iqaluit, and Charlottetown (not even including Rob's guesses of Dildo and the like).

5aee3350321b1_CPLguesses.png.8af4ea98adabbe335a9b87f02734c342.png

7 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s GTA and we all know it.  Don’t be pedantic.

Not being pedantic - initial post specified that "Toronto" had to actually be Toronto, and anything outside that (ie. Mississauga, which received a number of votes) was counted separately.

The location of the York stadium isn't exactly making it all that accessible to the Toronto crowd anyway.

Archived