Will MLS help get Canada back into the World Cup?

football_world

11 hours ago, red card said:

I had an employee on my team during the time of the Vancouver Winter Olympics. He had come to Canada during his early teen-age years from the Middle East.

He had suspect tastes with American Idol being his favourite show. But he had never heard about Winter Olympics till he came to Canada. He also never heard about Seinfeld.

Yup, I'm not surprised.  The Winter Olympics gets almost no coverage in countries with a warmer climate, that don't really participate in the Winter Olympics.

The irony is, even in countries that participate heavily in the Winter Olympics, their #1 sport is still soccer. For example, Sweden and the Czech Republic are top hockey countries, and they are often major obstacles for Team Canada at the Winter Olympics.  However, even though Sweden and the Czech Republic produce some of the best hockey players in the world, and they are top contenders for the gold medal at the Winter Olympics, soccer is still the #1 sport in Sweden and the Czech Republic.  If you ask the average Swede or average Czech whether they would prefer to win the Olympic gold medal in hockey, or win the World Cup, the average Swede or average Czech will choose the World Cup over gold in Winter Olympic hockey.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, football_world said:

Yup, I'm not surprised.  The Winter Olympics gets almost no coverage in countries with a warmer climate, that don't really participate in the Winter Olympics.

The irony is, even in countries that participate heavily in the Winter Olympics, their #1 sport is still soccer. For example, Sweden and the Czech Republic are top hockey countries, and they are often major obstacles for Team Canada at the Winter Olympics.  However, even though Sweden and the Czech Republic produce some of the best hockey players in the world, and they are top contenders for the gold medal at the Winter Olympics, soccer is still the #1 sport in Sweden and the Czech Republic.  If you ask the average Swede or average Czech whether they would prefer to win the Olympic gold medal in hockey, or win the World Cup, the average Swede or average Czech will choose the World Cup over gold in Winter Olympic hockey.

I don’t doubt that soccer is probably the number one sport in Sweden and the Czech Republic even though they produce very good hockey players. The World Cup is such a massive world wide tournament so it doesn’t surprise me that winning it would be top on the list over winning an Olympic hockey gold medal in those countries.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm cheering for the US to do well against the Netherlands tonight.  I think when the US does well at the World Cup, MLS does better with attendance and viewership, which leads to the US doing better at the World Cup, like a feedback loop.

Canada has benefited a lot from the MLS in this World Cup.  I just hope MLS gets better and better, and our National Team also gets better as a result.