Regina CanPL Supporters Group

We have taken the first step in starting a Regina supporters group. Well actually, the first steps were taken months ago when we discussed a few ideas, mostly about what to name the group. To advance the cause a little bit, I've established the group's Twitter account and it can be found here - @POB_SG. We don't have confirmation that there is a team coming to Regina, only the very strong suggestions from a number of people, including Paul Beirne, that there is a team in the works. So consider our group a supporters group formed in the hope that there will be a team.

We haven't decided on any of the important details yet - Supporters Charter, iconography, colours, etc, and we haven't met as a group beyond the folks that regularly gather to watch various soccer games, national teams and otherwise, having informal discussions. I suspect we will continue to meet informally until there is more news. However, if there are any important steps to be taken, at least we have somewhat formalized. 

**Edit: POBSG stands for Pile O' Bones Supporters Group. Pile O' Bones was the original name of the settlement that became Regina and has other cultural and historical significance that is easy to learn about if you just Google it. Also POBSG sounds kind of cool. 

22 minutes ago, shermanator said:

So, who do we have out there for actual CPL supporters groups in rumoured CPL cities?

Calgary - Foot Soldiers SG

Regina - Pile O' Bones SG

Hamilton - Barton Street Battalion

Any others?

I think there's a group in K-W having a meeting right away. And there is a thread on the forum for a potential Toronto group. 

If Ottawa Fury is involved obviously BBSG/SMR are already there. 

23 hours ago, shermanator said:

So, who do we have out there for actual CPL supporters groups in rumoured CPL cities?

Calgary - Foot Soldiers SG

Regina - Pile O' Bones SG

Hamilton - Barton Street Battalion

Any others?

Ah, so that's what POBSG is. I thought it was odd that the original post didn't actually say what the acronym was. I looked at it and all I saw was "Place Of Birth Supporters Group".

Is it in reference to something? I know there are lots of dinosaur fossils in Alberta, is that a thing in Sask/Regina too?

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Ah, so that's what POBSG is. I thought it was odd that the original post didn't actually say what the acronym was. I looked at it and all I saw was "Place Of Birth Supporters Group".

Is it in reference to something? I know there are lots of dinosaur fossils in Alberta, is that a thing in Sask/Regina too?

Ya I guess I should have mentioned what it stood for. Doh. Better go and edit that.

Pile O' Bones if used very generally for things around the city, so it seemed a natural. As @GuillermoDelQuarto said above, Wascana is a very commonly used name with historical significance. I was a bit worried that the team name might involve wither Wascana or Wanderers so I steered clear of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 2:02 AM, ted said:

The Lake Side Buoys affirmed out support for local football and the CPL at our AGM tonight.

So the current headcount is

- Barton Street Battalion (Hamilton) 

- Footsoldiers (Calgary) 

- Grand River Union (KWCaG -> I assume Hamilton while waiting) 

- Lake Side Buoys (Victoria) 

- Unnamed Winnipeg SG

- Wanderers SG (Halifax) 

- Pile O' Bones (Regina) 

- Vaughn City (Vaughn/GTA, at least on twitter) 

Am I missing anyone? 

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

- Footsoldiers (Calgary) 

- Unnamed Winnipeg SG

- Wanderers SG (Halifax) 

- Pile O' Bones (Regina) 

Am I missing anyone? 

Moncton SG

On 21/12/2016 at 5:28 PM, Complete Homer said:

- Footsoldiers (Calgary) 

- Unnamed Winnipeg SG

- Wanderers SG (Halifax) 

- Pile O' Bones (Regina) 

Am I missing anyone? 

Just a thought, would anyone like to collect up all the facebook/twitter, etc information for each of the supporters groups and make a thread to have all the contact info in one place for people to access?

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I think @admin has been doing that in the Supporters United tab

Ah. Not the most open place for it. I am not able to access it, presumably because I haven't bought a shirt or otherwise contributed financially. I would think it shouldn't be closed to the public in order to recruit better.

Archived