Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Some of the marquee guys that didnt succeed prob are overrated or on the downslide eh? Or they just couldnt mesh with new team, different styles etc.  Not every peg fits in a round hole eh?  The fact that plenty of L10 guys did come in and did better than "marquee" signings, as well as the University kids success  just shows that the level your coming from doesnt equate how you'll do in CPL.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Some of the marquee guys that didnt succeed prob are overrated or on the downslide eh? Or they just couldnt mesh with new team, different styles etc.  Not every peg fits in a round hole eh?  The fact that plenty of L10 guys did come in and did better than "marquee" signings, as well as the University kids success  just shows that the level your coming from doesnt equate how you'll do in CPL.  

Which is why I try to avoid getting worked up about players I haven't seen play, that aren't getting called up to the various national teams, regardless of the league they play in.

Edited by Kent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My top 10 players from USL last year that I would like to see switch to CPL this year. I think most would be starters in CPL, and a few would become key players for the teams they would join

1. Ryan James
2. Tyler Pasher
3. Carl Haworth
4. Callum Irving
5. Karl Ouimette
6. Malik Hamilton
7. Alex Comsia
8. Thomas Meilleur-Giguere
9. Zach Ellis-Hayden
10.Brian Wright

14 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

My top 10 players from USL last year that I would like to see switch to CPL this year. I think most would be starters in CPL, and a few would become key players for the teams they would join

1. Ryan James
2. Tyler Pasher
3. Carl Haworth
4. Callum Irving
5. Karl Ouimette
6. Malik Hamilton
7. Alex Comsia
8. Thomas Meilleur-Giguere
9. Zach Ellis-Hayden
10.Brian Wright

Hamilton played for Cavalry last year.  You're thinking Malik Johnson.  I always get them confused too.

For Ouimette and Pasher playing for one of the bigger budget USL sides I don't think we see them make the switch.

The Fury players will be very interesting in terms of where they decide to play.  Does an established quality USL player like Haworth jump to CanPL or does he get an offer from one of the bigger USL clubs and go there?

If there's a MLS strike in 2020, who do you expect in CPL?

Would there be loans or due to the strike, players could sign short term contracts with a clause that they can leave once the strike ends?

I don't know the rules in regards to MLS with striking but most league wouldn't accept guys signing deals with such clause. They'd aim to lock them down for at least 1 season.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Hamilton played for Cavalry last year.  You're thinking Malik Johnson.  I always get them confused too.

For Ouimette and Pasher playing for one of the bigger budget USL sides I don't think we see them make the switch.

The Fury players will be very interesting in terms of where they decide to play.  Does an established quality USL player like Haworth jump to CanPL or does he get an offer from one of the bigger USL clubs and go there?

Yeah I meant Johnson. Embarassing lol.

I feel like I could possibly see Pasher more likely to make a move than Ouimette since there are no teams in Quebec so it wouldn't necessarily be a homecoming for him.

Some Fury players will definitely be interesting. Haworth has been in Ottawa for quite some time now so has probably put down roots. Depending on the salary that he gets, its possible he could just call it quits, though his numbers might make him a hot commodity for CPL/USL teams.

In sort of the same situation, a guy like Jamar Dixon (who I hadn't listed in my top 10), who is from Ottawa might also not care to move on. Time will tell I guess

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I imagine he could still play a very solid role.  He is still playing pro footy so I doubt he would be unable to keep up with CPL.  I would love to see him play domestically.

He is older and has been playing at much lower levels for quite a while much like Issey. I could see him coming in as a player coach of some sort, most likely with York9 I'd assume, depending on his relationship with Jimmy

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hume had a good relationship with Stephen Hart.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him with the Wanderers.  They could use a bit of "star power", if not goals.

Meh, disagree with the need for "star power" - goals, yes - star power, no. Star power would help with drawing crowds, which we have no trouble with. Seems Hart is moving towards smaller, speedy forwards, so not sure how well Hume would fit into that given he's 36 and likely lost a step over the years.

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Remembering when the NHL was on lockout, players went to other leagues. We might get some MLS guys if there's a stoppage

It's not the NHL, it's FIFA. Even if players do go on strike, if they are contracted by MLS, to be able to play to switch clubs, they would need to either a) That a club actually loans the player out or b) Say they haven't been paid so they should be released.

Let's just say that a) is not happening because it would show weakness from ownership and b) would only happen if the player is willing to be blackballed in MLS and I don't think that any Canadian player in his right mind would do that. And also, the club can just say that the player has been in breach of his duties since he is on strike. 

The only MLS guys we might get are the ones who won't be under contract in 2020.

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

He is older and has been playing at much lower levels for quite a while much like Issey. I could see him coming in as a player coach of some sort, most likely with York9 I'd assume, depending on his relationship with Jimmy

He also played with Rob Friend and Josh Simpson.

Don't see how he fits into Y9 as a player as he doesn't really fit with what the club has been building.  He would have no impact in terms of "star power" in the community either. There isn't anyone at the CPL's pay range would come into Y9 and be a star in terms of attracting more people to games. 

Edited by Stouffvillain

41 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

He also played with Rob Friend and Josh Simpson.

Don't see how he fits into Y9 as a player as he doesn't really fit with what the club has been building.  He would have no impact in terms of "star power" in the community either. There isn't anyone at the CPL's pay range would come into Y9 and be a star in terms of attracting more people to games. 

I was basing it solely on this quote:
THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY BACK AT HOME IN FRONT OF FAMILY AND CHILDHOOD FRIENDS, WOULD BE A GREAT THING FOR ME

I think it would be difficult for family and friends to come from Brampton to watch him in Victoria or Halifax. Him knowing Brennan would be the only way I could see him fitting, otherwise I don't see him fitting in at Forge either