Jump to content
lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

Recommended Posts

Another great interview with Hoyle. I really like this guy. I am not sure if his level is that high, but his mentality and professionalism are tops. In cases like this, I really do want him to excel, as on a personal level he's a big asset to the league:

https://canpl.ca/video/hoyle-earning-mr-worldwide-nickname-as-valour-moves-to-dominican

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 7, 2019 at 5:03 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Is there any example of over 20 players being signed so far without one of the U-Sports draft picks being involved? Think the rosters are 20 plus up to 3 U-Sports players.

Each club is allowed to register 20-23 players on the roster. For U-Sports draft picks it's simple; they either sign pro and forgoe their eligibility or keep it by signing a development contract when they return to school in August. A Scholarship fund is provided for them 

Unless you're a 4th year or 5th year 22-23 year old > Then you've got nothing to lose, it's either all or nothing, since you're a graduating senior and don't have to pick between university and pro soccer

risky move for some, play it safe for others. It's up to the club and player to agree what's best for both parties, Although in the end certain moves can pay off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A disappointing landing spot considering where he has been but would be a fantastic pick up for the league and could give him a spring board to getting back on track. 

I'd be shocked if Edmonton get him so easily there are several clubs that should be falling over themselves to boost their defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legault obviously has lots of talent but I think the situation he’s in contractually with Auxerre is not good for him at this point.  

He needs lots of PT at this point in his career and he’s been sitting for too long.

I don’t think it’s fair to say the CPL is too low of a level for him.  He’s never had a pro minute so far.  But let’s see how he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shamrock said:

Why? He's a youth international without any pro experience so far. He should be happy to land at a CPL club. 

I don't think it's a bad spot but you cant tell me you wouldnt be disappointed as a pro after the following sequence over the last few months.

He has gone from being praised and a chance at ligue 1 - doesn't pan out

Chance at Scottish premier/Europe with the biggest club in Scotland. - falls through 

MLS with Montreal under an incredibly experienced former player and coach that won ligue 1 - falls through 

The CPL could certainly be a blessing in disguise, no doubt. I am still disappointed that due to bare financials out of his hands those huge opportunities have fallen through for him though.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, toontownman said:

...Chance at Scottish premier/Europe with the biggest club in Scotland. - falls through ...

Leaving aside the debatable issue of Scotland's biggest club, the important thing to bear in mind is he was being signed for their youth team rather than their first team and relatively few players make it from there to be first team regulars. At some point the guy has to play for a first team and show what he can do. The obvious place to start is at one of the lowest available rungs of the ladder in fully pro terms. Then if that goes well they'll look a bit higher next time...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One week out to the start of the inaugural CPL season, and clubs have yet to finalize their rosters/squads

Some stuff we already know but just hasn't been publicly announced other is rumour speculation or in camp etc

Here is my prediction:

HFX | Finished (22 players)

York 9 | IN: *Emmanuel Zambazis and Venezuelan *Denis Pina . OUT: Munir Saleh (22 players)

— Awaiting press release —

Forge FC | Midfielder Molham Babouli is signed following his season finale with Missisauga (MASL), FW - Jace Kotspolous is signed and USports pick Marko Mandekic / Trialist Taha Ilyass Battle it out to be the last player (23 players) 

Valour FC | Local GK - Svyatik Artamenko who has been in camp since the very beginning, played for Manitoba at the Canada Games, turned down college in US/Canada as well as was eyed at the Got Game Trials. Born in Ukraine, raised in Winnipeg, EU passport. He is the 3rd stringer for Valour behind Tyson Farago and Belgian Matthias Jenssens. Decorated Canadian International and experienced centre back David Edgar's season in England with HartlePool of the National League ends in 2 weeks and his contract was short term not until May 30 or June 30, so should he decide to come to CPL, valour is his landing spot as Ryan Brandt hinted at it various times over the course of the last few months. (23 players)

Cavalry FC | Forwards and USports draft picks - *Gabriel Bitar/Easton Ongaro will be the last player of Tommy Wheeldon Jr's team. Whether it is a pro contract or developmental is yet to be known (23 players)

FC Edmonton | Defenders *Noah Cunningham and Emile Legault, source coming out of Montreal in journalist of TVA Sports Nicolas Martineau

Pacific FC | Trialists - *Shun Takano, Mamadi Camara, USports draft picks - Thomas Gardner and Zach Verhoven. Whitecaps loan in a player or two all in the mix. Victoria Native Sean Melvin is a option. Adam Straith could be a mid season signing in July after his season in Germany ends. Currently signed just 16 players a potential 20-23 means they have 4-7 spots left in space, lots of possibilities. For the college guys it can be pro or developmental. (20-21 players more or less) 

About a Dozen players remain in play, some that will happen 100% others in the middle and the rest just rumours

This is my prediction, let's see how many I get right.

Both anxious and excited to see how many more Canadians will earn themselves a spot in this league!

*There's 5 in total that I'm very sure about:

- Noah Cunningham (Jersey name leaked on CPL Shop)

- Shun Takano (Seen posing for a headshot photo for Pacific FC media day and put it in his Twitter)

- Gabriel Bitar/Easton Ongaro have both been in camp for the last 2 1/2 months, as well as Coach Tom Wheeldon Jr said in a newspaper interview that the last spot would be given to USports Player. Final but not least, roster rules say that you must have minimum 3 players that are 21 and under. Malyk Hamilton and Victor Loturi are 1 & 2. 3rd one will be between these two. Both are second year [Twenty-Olds]

- Emmanuel Zambazis and Denis Pina; Numbers were included  at York9's Kit reveal party in Newmarket a few weeks back along side Nathan Ingham who is now official.

The rest Is pure speculation/in camp players 

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

One week out to the start of the inaugural CPL season, and clubs have yet to finalize their rosters/squads

Some stuff we already know but just hasn't been publicly announced other is rumour speculation or in camp etc

Here is my prediction:

HFX | Finished (22 players)

York 9 | IN: *Emmanuel Zambazis and Venezuelan *Denis Pina . OUT: Munir Saleh (22 players)

— Awaiting press release —

Forge FC | Midfielder Molham Babouli is signed following his season finale with Missisauga (MASL), FW - Jace Kotspolous is signed and USports pick Marko Mandekic / Trialist Taha Ilyass Battle it out to be the last player (23 players) 

Valour FC | Local GK - Svyatik Artamenko who has been in camp since the very beginning, played for Manitoba at the Canada Games, turned down college in US/Canada as well as was eyed at the Got Game Trials. Born in Ukraine, raised in Winnipeg, EU passport. He is the 3rd stringer for Valour behind Tyson Farago and Belgian Matthias Jenssens. Decorated Canadian International and experienced centre back David Edgar's season in England with HartlePool of the National League ends in 2 weeks and his contract was short term not until May 30 or June 30, so should he decide to come to CPL, valour is his landing spot as Ryan Brandt hinted at it various times over the course of the last few months. (23 players)

Cavalry FC | Forwards and USports draft picks - *Gabriel Bitar/Easton Ongaro will be the last player of Tommy Wheeldon Jr's team. Whether it is a pro contract or developmental is yet to be known (23 players)

FC Edmonton | Defenders *Noah Cunningham and Emile Legault, source coming out of Montreal in journalist of TVA Sports Nicolas Martineau

Pacific FC | Trialists - *Shun Takano, Mamadi Camara, USports draft picks - Thomas Gardner and Zach Verhoven. Whitecaps loan in a player or two all in the mix. Victoria Native Sean Melvin is a option. Adam Straith could be a mid season signing in July after his season in Germany ends. Currently signed just 16 players a potential 20-23 means they have 4-7 spots left in space, lots of possibilities. For the college guys it can be pro or developmental. (20-21 players more or less) 

About a Dozen players remain in play, some that will happen 100% others in the middle and the rest just rumours

This is my prediction, let's see how many I get right.

Both anxious and excited to see how many more Canadians will earn themselves a spot in this league!

*There's 5 in total that I'm very sure about:

- Noah Cunningham (Jersey name leaked on CPL Shop)

- Shun Takano (Seen posing for a headshot photo for Pacific FC media day and put it in his Twitter)

- Gabriel Bitar/Easton Ongaro have both been in camp for the last 2 1/2 months, as well as Coach Tom Wheeldon Jr said in a newspaper interview that the last spot would be given to USports Player. Final but not least, roster rules say that you must have minimum 3 players that are 21 and under. Malyk Hamilton and Victor Loturi are 1 & 2. 3rd one will be between these two.

- Emmanuel Zambazis and Denis Pina; Numbers were included  at York9's Kit reveal party in Newmarket a few weeks back along side Nathan Ingham who is now official.

The rest Is pure speculation/in camp players 

I would have thought Mo Babouli signing in the CPL, either with Forge or York would have been a slam dunk. A Canadian with MLS experience. Am I missing something here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I would have thought Mo Babouli signing in the CPL, either with Forge or York would have been a slam dunk. A Canadian with MLS experience. Am I missing something here?

Absolutely, Not only did he play for Bobby in Sigma - 2017 but CPLtransfers on Twitter first reported the rumour in February (Gotten 80%+ of player signings right) plus he's following Forge and 10 others on the team on Instagram. Coincidence much? I think it's bound to happen! Although it's been kept fairly quiet, it might already be a done deal, he's a attacking midfielder not a forward btw

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fmfranck said:

It seems that Legault to PCF is to be announced shortly. 

 

Perfect landing spot for the club and player. Pacific are little thin on defenders, and Legault can play all across the back four, good cover for Blake Smith at left back and Kadin Chung at Right back. Although his main position is CB and will most likely be competing with Lukas Mcnaughton. Looking at th jam packed schedule, rotation and rest for some players will be necessary! This spring season will be ultimately won on depth imo

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With 146 total players signed to rosters and season, clubs finalizing their squads, who the last couple signings will be 

— Made tons of progress in the last weeks with announcements —

HFX: 22/23 total (1 spot left) They might go into spring season with a spot remaining for a possible mid season signing in July or have something at their disposal like @dyslexic nam has hinted at above. is it for spring season or fall? 

York 9: 21/23 total (2 left) - Venezuelan Midfielder Denis Pina and Chilean forward Rodrigo Gattas will round out the team, just needs to be announced. Done Just reveal

FCE: 21/23 total (2 left) - Defender Noah Cunningham and Jeff Paulus teased about a player coming back from Europe for the second half of the year (Signed for the Fall, TBD who that is) the squad has been built for the season | Done Just reveal 

Cavalry: 23/23 total - Done

Valour: 21/23 (2 left) - Local 19 year old Canadian-Ukranian GK *Sviatik Artamenko has been training with the club since day 1, maybe he gets signed but not certain. *David Edgar ends his season and contract in England this weekend, again 50/50. Maybe Rob Gale wants to bring in someone from Europe 

Forge: 20/23 (3 left) - Jace Kotsopolous said in a interview with Northern Tribune he would be expected to sign shortly. *Molham Babouli ended season with MetroStars of the MASL, could be signed already. Has been linked for a while and social media suggests this, From the Got Game Trials Taha Ilyass fighting for a contract 

Pacific: 18/23 (5 left) - Winger Shun Takano of VIU has made the team, there was a  headshot of him at media day posing for onesoccer. There's reports that they might be bringing in Panamanian DM *Alexander Gonzalez, *Mamadi Camara who was drafted by the SJ Earthquakes in the MLS Superdraft and had a fantastic college career with SFU in NCAA DII. U Sports draft picks *Thomas Gardner, *Zach Verhoven and *Nick Fussell were all part of training camp, no clue if they were offered contracts, there's a rumour that *Adam Straith is in conversations with Simpson, Friend to return to Victoria after his 3.Liga is done. 

* = Reports/Rumours  

Bolded = confirmed 

Today is the last of before the spring season starts, maybe some of these are announced later in the day or in the clubs who don't play before their season 

 

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Perfect landing spot for the club and player. Pacific are little thin on defenders, and Legault can play all across the back four, good cover for Blake Smith at left back and Kadin Chung at Right back. Although his main position is CB and will most likely be competing with Lukas Mcnaughton. Looking at th jam packed schedule, rotation and rest for some players will be necessary! This spring season will be ultimately won on depth imo

image.jpeg

Honestly I'm a little confused about this signing. I wouldn't say that CB is his main position, he definitely gets exposed in the middle (often due to his size) when I've seen him. However, he's good on the ball and a little speedy, I always have preferred him when I've seen him out wide. That being said, Pacific seemed to have the best starting fullbacks in the league already with Smith coming from experience and Chung being an exciting prospect (and next year will have De Jong back). I figure that Legault would start as a fullback at mostly every other club in the league, but here he will be more rotational and relied upon for versatility. I think Legault is a great player playing out wide, just surprised at the landing spot. 

Edited by Pottsy3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final update: 

Okay so, May 7th - Tuesday is when the window closes for teams to register players for the spring season until it re opens July 1st. 

HFX: 23/23

CGY: 23/23

York: 22/23 *Yet to announce Jose Pina (CPL Shop leak, has been with team in training since April)

FCE: 22/23 *Yet to announce Noah Cunningham (CPL shop leak, U-Sports pick)

Valour: 21/23 (2 spots remain) - David Edgar is rumoured after his contract with HartlePool has expired, local GK Sviatik Artamenko also been in training camp since day 1. Could be the third stringer this season. 

Forge: 20/23 (3 spots remain) - U-Sports pick Jace Kotsopolous and Got Game Open Trialist Taha Ilyass were in camp until the very last day, may still be there, possible official announcement coming soon for one or both of them. Molham Babouli also rumoured to be joining Bobby after his MASL came to a close.

Pacific: 20/23 (3 spots remain) - unclear on who else Michael silberbauer and James Merriman have they're eye on. They said they want to finish with 21 for spring and look for reinforcements in July when the European season finishes as they see fit depending on their standings. Shun Takano was rumoured to be joining, who knows what happened to Gardner, Camara. Victoria Native Straith could be coming back from Germany after captaining 3.Liga Side Sportfreunde Lotte for 2 years, his contract expires June 30.

8-10 spots still be filled, we might see a lot of action leading up to Tuesday 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...