Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

On 12/2/2018 at 10:36 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

20 seems like a small squad. 

That would mean any team that has more than 2 players injured or suspended at any time will be unable to field a full 18 man roster for a match. That's way too small. Hopefully there will be some sort of reserve rosters they can call upon. I would have thought 24 was a more manageable number for a coach.

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

That would mean any team that has more than 2 players injured or suspended at any time will be unable to field a full 18 man roster for a match. That's way too small. Hopefully there will be some sort of reserve rosters they can call upon. I would have thought 24 was a more manageable number for a coach.

Ya, some sort of taxi squad or an arrangement with a lower league club for short term loans.

We all knew the rosters were going to be shallow with the quality drop off pretty steep towards the stern but no way, no how, any league pretending to be anything near professional would have a 20 man roster. 

Maybe the league will mandate each team carry X number of "development/youth players" to fill out something of a 2-tier roster.  20 man roster + 4 development players?  Give the kids at worst a chance to a least train with the big boys (on the cheap of course) while keeping a positive optic about the practice and a reasonable player roster. 

Gawd, I can't wait until this all gets fleshed out and we can stop speculating and get down to bitching about facts.   

25 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

We all knew the rosters were going to be shallow with the quality drop off pretty steep towards the stern but no way, no how, any league pretending to be anything near professional would have a 20 man roster...

Back in the day when you were only allowed two or three substitutes on the bench having a roster of 18 or so full-time players was nothing out of the ordinary for smaller fully professional clubs. You can always call up players from youth teams and amateur leagues. I'm more concerned about only having 12 experienced players, if this information is accurate, because it's more likely to have an obvious impact on the playing standards. Would an extra 100k on the salary cap to make that 15 or 16 really be a deal breaker for some of the investors?

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

We all knew the rosters were going to be shallow with the quality drop off pretty steep towards the stern but no way, no how, any league pretending to be anything near professional would have a 20 man roster. 

Maybe the league will mandate each team carry X number of "development/youth players" to fill out something of a 2-tier roster.  20 man roster + 4 development players?  Give the kids at worst a chance to a least train with the big boys (on the cheap of course) while keeping a positive optic about the practice and a reasonable player roster. 

Gawd, I can't wait until this all gets fleshed out and we can stop speculating and get down to bitching about facts.   

How about screaming about bad calls, red cards and late goals??  Wooo Hooo!!  This is all getting me pumped, finally finding out who the players are, one step closer to games.

Jesus.  I step away from the CPL threads for a bit (got a bit tired of the spinning-wheels arguments over things we simply don't know yet) and all of a sudden the teams are  all getting populated with player signings, transfer rumours are flying, and things are quickly getting very very real.  Good times.

9 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Love hearing these names that were on the fringes of the MLS system who would have disappeared without this league. Makes me want to embrace a <$1m salary cap for what it is.

Also, it's not like MLS pays fringe players/bench players that much either. That most likely put CPL teams in a position of strength in negotiations, meaning CPL is not condemned to overpay anyone above market value.

Another point is that CPL can tell them that at the very least...CPL will give you a FULL OPPORTUNITY to play, excel and demand a higher wage later and/or be noticed by higher leagues. You can't get that by benching in MLS or playing in USL...Europe lower leagues is hard and doesn't pay much while having nowhere near the lifestyle of a pro player.

I'm starting to not care as much about the cap in year 1. Even at lower wage, these kids will leave it all on the pitch with that extra motivation

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Also, it's not like MLS pays fringe players/bench players that much either. That most likely put CPL teams in a position of strength in negotiations, meaning CPL is not condemned to overpay anyone above market value.

Another point is that CPL can tell them that at the very least...CPL will give you a FULL OPPORTUNITY to play, excel and demand a higher wage later and/or be noticed by higher leagues. You can't get that by benching in MLS or playing in USL...Europe lower leagues is hard and doesn't pay much while having nowhere near the lifestyle of a pro player.

I'm starting to not care as much about the cap in year 1. Even at lower wage, these kids will leave it all on the pitch with that extra motivation

The MLS minimum salary in 2019 is $56,250 US. At today's exchange rate that is $74,526 CDN. Which is a lot high than the days of the development player making $12,500 about 10 years back. Now where it will get interesting is when say TFC is signing academy graduates/draft picks to USL contracts. With no salary cap in USL TFC/MLSE can offer whatever they want so I figure they will at least match what the CPL is offering. At the end of the day it will be up to the player to decide where the best fit is for his development/advancement. 

17 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The MLS minimum salary in 2019 is $56,250 US. At today's exchange rate that is $74,526 CDN. Which is a lot high than the days of the development player making $12,500 about 10 years back. Now where it will get interesting is when say TFC is signing academy graduates/draft picks to USL contracts. With no salary cap in USL TFC/MLSE can offer whatever they want so I figure they will at least match what the CPL is offering. At the end of the day it will be up to the player to decide where the best fit is for his development/advancement. 

TFC sort-of already did this with Jacob Shaffleburg. Pulled one of our most promising prospects out from under us. Not sure if the motivation would have been money or opportunity on Shaffleburg’s part. I’m thinking at least partially opportunity as playing for TFC II in USL League One might be more attractive just because of the direct pipeline to MLS it presents. Not sure playing for an unaffiliated club in USL Championship would have the same allure over CPL for a young Canadian with high potential.

1 hour ago, HfxCeltic said:

TFC sort-of already did this with Jacob Shaffleburg. Pulled one of our most promising prospects out from under us. Not sure if the motivation would have been money or opportunity on Shaffleburg’s part. I’m thinking at least partially opportunity as playing for TFC II in USL League One might be more attractive just because of the direct pipeline to MLS it presents. Not sure playing for an unaffiliated club in USL Championship would have the same allure over CPL for a young Canadian with high potential.

At his age TFC II probably makes sense. If he blows the pants off the league he has a direct route to a higher league without any transfer fee shenanigans 

The real trick is what happens for his second contract. If he's a promising player for TFC he can still leverage CPL into a better salary or promised utilization 

It's like fallow field legislation for soccer players now: if MLS isn't actively seeking to get Canadian youngsters into the lineup and turn them into something, they will lose them. No more sitting on their hands until the player retires

Edited by Complete Homer

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

Wouldn't CPL contract have some kind of clause preventing MLS/USL clubs from signing them while under contract?

Even if they signed as many talent as they can out of bad faith, there's only so many spots available around. This proves to be a problem for Montreal who wants Legault but have nowhere to put him.

Also, that could cause the MLS/USL size to give up prematurely on talent that could become good players later with more play time and opportunity.

The more team CPL gets, the more they will be at an advantage. 

32 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Still a few T&T National players playing domestically. Wouldn't surprise me to see 1 or 2 end up in Halifax

What struck me when watching the Nation's League Qualifiers was that there would be a good pool of relatively inexpensive players that could be imported to round out CPL squads.  Clearly lots  of those players were not up to par, but even on some of the minnows there was a player or two that stood out - and I think many of them were playing in quite small domestic leagues.  In terms of largely unscouted talent, that would be a great place to look for a few "diamonds in the rough".

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

What struck me when watching the Nation's League Qualifiers was that there would be a good pool of relatively inexpensive players that could be imported to round out CPL squads.  Clearly lots  of those players were not up to par, but even on some of the minnows there was a player or two that stood out - and I think many of them were playing in quite small domestic leagues.  In terms of largely unscouted talent, that would be a great place to look for a few "diamonds in the rough".

Totally agree.. Kevin Parsemain for instance plays domestically in Martinique but has been prolific for his national side including a brace against the USA at last summers gold cup and a goal against Mexico in 2013.  I can’t understand how he’s there and not in a lower league somewhere else.. he was attached to Seattle at one point too and SKC tried to sign him last September but had trouble through a technicality.

This is a guy who should be target number one for teams looking for attainable quality.. statistically this guy would be the most prolific Canadian striker ever.

Also what’s Malouda up to these days? 

Edited by Keegan

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Totally agree.. Kevin Parsemain for instance plays domestically in Martinique but has been prolific for his national side including a brace against the USA at last summers gold cup and a goal against Mexico in 2013.  I can’t understand how he’s there and not in a lower league somewhere else..

Sometimes part-time professional players have good regular jobs that they are reluctant to leave for something as precarious and fleeting as a lower division pro soccer career.