Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

?@bison44 and dbailey62

Moreover do they retain mls rights for them if they flourish in the CPL or elsewhere? Or is that waived the minute they leave?

Edit: also great signings for the league if they end up in the CPL. 

HA.. HA.. HA.....slow clap....the murky roster rules of MLS.  I will need an eye of next some chicken blood, a large cauldron and 2 days of chanting to unravel this enigma wrapped in a mystery.  Seriously I think DIdic (and presumeably anyone on a mls contract) has to clear waivers, then fair game.  Usl teams, who knows?? Any guys who remain unsigned seem to be fair game ie Ucello with TFC 2.  

I think what you might see is that some recognizable Canadian players in the USL might decide to take a bit of a wait and see approach with the CPL and possibly stay in the USL for another year or two to see how it goes for the CPL in the first year or even the second year. They may choose to make more of the same money in the USL and just watch from afar the fist year or two and if they see that this CPL is the real deal look for a lot more Canadian USL or even lower league European Canadian players coming to the CPL by the bush loads in year two and beyond.

December 1, 2018 I've compiled a list of L1O guys who've signed or successfully trialed for the new CPL. I've also included those recently signed with the new Mississauga MetroStars MASL team.

I expect to keep adding to the list as we get closer to CPL kickoff.

So far 31 guys from 2018 L1O rosters, 12 'alumni' ie. those who left L1O before 2018 season began.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york04.htm

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Some guys wont come at all, its the nature of the beast.  We dont need to repatriate everyone in foreign leagues.  I'm more interested in the kids that our new CPL clubs will find and develop.

It usually boils down to money. If, as some people are claiming, $35k is about as good as it is going to get in CanPL, there will probably still be a significant contingent of Canadian players playing for American teams in USL. If it's higher than that for projected starters as others appear to believe then there will probably be more of a mass migration.

57 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

December 1, 2018 I've compiled a list of L1O guys who've signed or successfully trialed for the new CPL. I've also included those recently signed with the new Mississauga MetroStars MASL team.

I expect to keep adding to the list as we get closer to CPL kickoff.

So far 31 guys from 2018 L1O rosters, 12 'alumni' ie. those who left L1O before 2018 season began.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york04.htm

That's fantastic Robin! Kudos!!!

anyone listen to the latest soccer today podcast? Duane mentions that the squad size has been set at 20, with 8/20 being primarily local youth players.
This gives me a little more hope that we might see higher caliber players than those announced already.
Maybe not Ricketts, but min. wage MLS players that have been recently released - Awuah, Laryea, Reid. 

If all 12 earned the MLS min of 70kCAD, the cap would be just over $1m

6 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Didn't realize all three of those players were released. They would all be top tier talents in the CPL given the rosters we've seen so far (well, Reid is a question mark).

We can add Béland-Goyette to this list. He was released by the Impact. A while ago I read something about him possibly signing with Forge FC.

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

anyone listen to the latest soccer today podcast? Duane mentions that the squad size has been set at 20, with 8/20 being primarily local youth players.
This gives me a little more hope that we might see higher caliber players than those announced already.
Maybe not Ricketts, but min. wage MLS players that have been recently released - Awuah, Laryea, Reid. 

If all 12 earned the MLS min of 70kCAD, the cap would be just over $1m

Oh wait, Duane actually says the roster size will be "20, or wait, 24.."

so 24 not 20.

.. except he says that roster spots 12 - 20 will be local youth so confusing.

9 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

anyone listen to the latest soccer today podcast? Duane mentions that the squad size has been set at 20, with 8/20 being primarily local youth players...

Very much fits the 500k cap rumour that was circulating on Reddit when the Fury steered clear. 12 × 35 = 420 and 8 × 10 = 80, 420 + 80 = 500. If accurate, I think that's cutting things back too far and risks diluting the entertainment product. 16 experienced players and 8 local youth would be more realistic, because injuries and suspensions will tend to turn the 12 experienced players into 8 or 9 a lot of the time.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Very much fits the 500k cap rumour that was circulating on Reddit when the Fury steered clear. 12 × 35 = 420 and 8 × 10 = 80, 420 + 80 = 500. If accurate, I think that's cutting things back too far and risks diluting the entertainment product. 16 experienced players and 8 local youth would be more realistic, because injuries and suspensions will tend to turn the 12 experienced players into 8 or 9 a lot of the time.

Ridiculous

10 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Oh wait, Duane actually says the roster size will be "20, or wait, 24.."

so 24 not 20.

.. except he says that roster spots 12 - 20 will be local youth so confusing.

listening to it for the 3rd time, it seems like he's saying "20, and not 24" ... I tweeted Duane, so hopefully he'll respond.

The thing is, Duane also alludes to the announced players as not necessarily the signings that will attract broader attention (implying that there's more to come?).

So, even if we assume the lower end 750000 that Pacific wished for (which is logical for them since Duane mentions that they apparently intend to put together an almost 100% BC squad), it'd be something like:

45k*12=540k; 25*8=200k. 540k+200k=740k

Factor in board and food that is rumoured to be provided, let's say $15000 for board (just averaging out as it's more like 20k for Toronto) and $5000 a year on food, it'd be 65k for senior players, and 45k for reserve

It would be interesting to understand the player acquisition process here. We've heard previously that there will be some sort of "draft" whereby 1000 Canadian players will be eligible. Other comments led me to believe that the first round of signings was intended to grab 1 or 2 local players to start marketing -not necessarily the best players. Perhaps these were protected players or something.

York9 let a few more slip, while Paulus said he'd already put together most of the squad. My guess would be that a draft occurred behind closed doors for negotiation rights with players, many of whom still need to wind-up the final month or so of their contract.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Ridiculous

Really? If they are only providing significant salaries to 12 experienced players, it's a lot easier to see how they can have a 500k cap while still paying more than minimum wage over the course of a seven month season ($35k per season works out at around $5k as a monthly salary). The 750k number that also gets mentioned sometimes could then be the overall number when coaching and other staff are also factored in, which would lead in turn to an operating budget that would definitely be north of $1,000,000 when travel and game day related costs are factored in.

9 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

York9 let a few more slip, while Paulus said he'd already put together most of the squad. My guess would be that a draft occurred behind closed doors for negotiation rights with players, many of whom still need to wind-up the final month or so of their contract.

Given pre-contracts can be signed with another club before the end of a player's contract, those negotiations could already have been happening, so think you are probably right about the draft already having happened.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Really? If they are only providing significant salaries to 12 experienced players, it's a lot easier to see how they can have a 500k cap while still paying more than minimum wage over the course of a seven month season ($35k per season works out at around $5k as a monthly salary). The 750k number that also gets mentioned sometimes could then be the overall number when coaching and other staff are also factored in, which would lead in turn to an operating budget that would definitely be north of $1,000,000 when travel and game day related costs are factored in.

Grossly ridiculous.

Wanting an outcome doesn't make you right.

This guy surely didn't sign with York 9 for the salary you're talking about

Edited by Ansem

Where are you getting this wanting an outcome angle from?

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...If accurate, I think that's cutting things back too far and risks diluting the entertainment product..

...and worth noting also that I wasn't the one who started the 500k salary cap rumour, so other people would need to be credited with being right on that. That info/rumour first came from a reddit user in Edmonton as far as I am aware. The strongest indication that the cap is lower than anticipated given what Steve Milton was writing earlier this year remains what happened in Ottawa and the assertions that were made by people close to the Fury front office. We'll have a clearer picture of what's happening once the transfer window opens.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This guy surely didn't sign with York 9 for the salary you're talking about

Check his background a bit. The Assyriska he played for isn't the well known one from the Stockholm area but a smaller club from a city called Jonkoping that were in the Swedish fourth tier this past season:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/assyriska-turabdin-jonkoping/startseite/verein/45537

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyriska_IK