Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

11 minutes ago, ktf said:

It will be curious to see how the roster construction goes from here. It is always fun to do a bit of instant analysis, and well if I had to predict the league based on the first signings, I like Forge FC...

The Sigma thing seems to be working out for them so far. This looks like the foundational player component to the roster:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/checking-in-with-the-commissioner-from-open-trials

...This week we actually started talking about how this all comes together. You build a club on many different levels. I talk about foundational players, these Canadians who have gone away and plied their trade somewhere else. They’ve gone away and played professionally, they’ve earned a living at it and more than likely have been capped for Canada. They’re getting to a point in their career where they are wondering, ‘What do I do next? Do I become a coach? Do I get in the front office of a team? But I also want to pass on my talent and my knowledge in the world of soccer to younger people coming up.’ That’s one of the (player) pools.

We’ve also talked about this idea of Under-23s and how we build a roster with some Under-23s, the future talent, and a tranche of them. And then we’re going to go with an open draft of the thousand Canadians we know are playing professional soccer abroad that we have video on. Then there are the homegrowns...

I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere, but I do wonder what happens to the Sigma pipeline. Are those who would have gone to the NCAA gonna go to Forge now? I read a post saying that Sigma has some deal where they are able to actually profit off of NCAA players somehow. Assuming that is true, are they gonna continue to push (I am also assuming that they push them to the NCAA, tbf) their players that route?

Edited by El Diego

28 minutes ago, ktf said:

It will be curious to see how the roster construction goes from here. It is always fun to do a bit of instant analysis, and well if I had to predict the league based on the first signings, I like Forge FC, and not so confident in Halifax. I am happy with Kadin Chung for Pacific FC, but definitely strikes me as a building pick, versus lets win the league in year one. 

From these first signings I would give the edge to Forge, Edmonton, and Cavalry. And now as I say that out loud I wonder if it's just he fact that they all have 2 signings that makes them stand out to me. Hmmm. I've always like REB and Camargo but I admit I haven't seen much of them play. I never had a problem with Ledgerwood all those years he was looked down on by so many. Bekker I was never terribly impressed by, but I think he'll be one of the better players in this league likely.

Happy with the signings thus far. It is exactly what we wanted, isn't it? Canadian players playing professionally at home, rather than attempting to forge (excuse the pun) a career in the lower leagues of Europe.

I can't help but think there are some central American domestic players who could be had for cheap. I would love the CPL teams to fill out the rosters with some of that talent, then polish it off with the CIS draft and open tryout guys.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

From these first signings I would give the edge to Forge, Edmonton, and Cavalry. And now as I say that out loud I wonder if it's just he fact that they all have 2 signings that makes them stand out to me. Hmmm. I've always like REB and Camargo but I admit I haven't seen much of them play. I never had a problem with Ledgerwood all those years he was looked down on by so many. Bekker I was never terribly impressed by, but I think he'll be one of the better players in this league likely.

I watched Camargo with foothills once or twice. Good player but didn't particularly stand out, and we are talking PDL.

But they do have a striker from Manitoba who looked like a step above the other players. Can't recall his name now, I think it begins with a D. 

Anyways, that guy I think would be a great signing for Cavalry or potentially Valour.

Edit: it's Moses Danto.

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

From these first signings I would give the edge to Forge, Edmonton, and Cavalry. 

Yeah IMO the first round goes to Forge FC with two experienced high-level players. Cavalry FC go second with an international and a player with a lot of upside. 

Can't wait to see the next round!

Edited by shamrock

49 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Considering Bekker was one of the best players in USL last season and could easily be attached to an MLS side this is the type of player I’d expect to be a star.

Most of these guys are the types that were on the cusp of MLS but for whatever reason never got their shot so mission accomplished so far. 

It's not that they never got their shot. They just weren't good enough

39 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Reasonably happy with this first round of signings and even happier with the production and professionalism of the CPL again. Hopefully a good few more rounds of players like this and maybe one or two at an even higher level. 

Exciting times none the less. 

I agree with the bolded (and the rest) but I had a pretty good laugh at the photoshop job of putting Porter into the lineup of players.

https://canpl.ca/article/player-tracker-a-roundup-of-each-of-the-cpls-first-player-signings

I'm still surprised by the number of ex-MLSers that are joining the league. Based on what some of these players used to make, either the players are taking a large pay cut to play in CPL or the salary cap is higher than what we've been led to believe (which doesn't speak well to the Ottawa Fury's reasoning for staying away from CPL). Then again, these first signings may be at the high-end of the teams' payscales. We'll have to see how the rosters flesh out to get an idea of the cap.

It really is a joy seeing these rosters take shape. It's amazing to see a Canadian league finally come into focus.

If I think back to 5 years ago, a Canadian league, with players like Porter, REB, Bekker and Ledgerwood - well that would feel like an absolute pipe dream.

Today it is a reality.

I feel like these players deserve a big thank you for coming back to Canada and investing in the game we all love.

If these guys are viewed as foundational players they'll be earning at the higher end of the salary scale. Judging from where they were playing previously, they won't have been all that difficult to deal with financially. You don't get rich playing in PDL or the German fifth tier, for example as neither are fully professional.

If Tosaint Ricketts wants 100k and can get that elsewhere the attitude is probably good luck to him as the extra quality and name recognition is marginal compared to some of the guys they have signed and they can always wait to sign him more cheaply later if trials elsewhere don't work out for him.

Honest top five signings for me:

1. Bekker - established quality pro who has proven himself a top quality player just under the MLS level.

2. Chung - mostly down to his potential upside. Good young player, I think he will be effective first year, might even make a profit on him down the road.

3. Zebbie - most people are focusing on REB, but honestly Zebie is probably the better player. He is still young, and although everyone knew he was going to sign, I don't think people understand his abilities. It is easy to be forgotten about when you take a year out of the action.

4. Porter - good established pro. Has played on some quality sides. Will really bring a calming presence which York is gonna need with Brennan as coach...

5. Ledgerwood - I think most people know what he brings. Lots of leadership, quality on the ball, ability to play multiple positions, etc... Getting older, but will be effective for a couple years.

It is hard to keep Nanco off this list... I think right now he will be better than Chung, but haven't really seen him play.

For those wondering if these are top end type of players or not, I'm thinking they probably are. Remember in that the11.ca article about Daryl Fordyce where Paulus said "Paulus said that, while no player announcements have been made as of Wednesday, that the team only has a few roster holes left to fill." If Edmonton's roster is almost full, they'd probably want to announce the bigger players with all the pomp of the original signings, like a Jimmy Brennan at TFC, or David Villa at NYCFC, or Kaka at Orlando, etc.

P.S. Now Brennan has been mentioned along side Villa and Kaka. You're welcome Jimmy.

2 hours ago, zen said:

It's not that they never got their shot. They just weren't good enough

I guess that’s why Mark Anthony Kaye never got his shot with TFC.. he wasn’t good enough.  

Look, there are guys all over the world right now who deserve to be at a much higher level but haven’t got their shot.  Maybe they’re all not good enough or maybe a few are.. but it’s a fact that if you’re a Canadian you’re more likely to be the guy who didn’t get a shot than an American etc. That’s why this league is so crucial, give guys looks and see if there’s something there then sell them.

Vardy, Camilo, Kaye, S. Jackson, DeMerit, Eustáquio 

All guys who went from a point where they could be had for free to a point where they are worth a ton.  All guys who were passed over or never got a shot.. until one day they did. 

Edited by Keegan

58 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Great news. 

I was worried about this because it sort of destroys the point of this league for a lot of players if they can’t be close to home.  The salary cap should ensure that no team pulls too far ahead so there’s no need to “helicopter parent” all player movement.  Playing where you want = lower salary/hometown discount too so even better.

I think a lot of Forge fans were hoping Bekker would be a foundation signing.  I’m glad he’s coming and he should be an excellent Captain to start the team.

He’s a local pro who has played in NASL and the national team and has thrived at the NASL and USL level these past 2 years.

He’s a true foundation player along with Ledgerwood for the CanPL to start with.  

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

I guess that’s why Mark Anthony Kaye never got his shot with TFC.. he wasn’t good enough.  

Look, there are guys all over the world right now who deserve to be at a much higher level but haven’t got their shot.  Maybe they’re all not good enough or maybe a few are.. but it’s a fact that if you’re a Canadian you’re more likely to be the guy who didn’t get a shot than an American etc. That’s why this league is so crucial, give guys looks and see if there’s something there then sell them.

Vardy, Camilo, Kaye, S. Jackson, DeMerit, Eustáquio 

All guys who went from a point where they could be had for free to a point where they are worth a ton.  All guys who were passed over or never got a shot.. until one day they did. 

Except you didn't talk about those guys.

You were talking specifically about the group of players announced. 

You were talked Bekker who was given every chance but failed.

The group of players that we are talking about were likely never good enough to succeed in MLS.

If they make it somehow at this point in their careers, good for them.

CPL will no doubt open a lot of opportunities, it just won't be for these guys.