Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Still no contract, so suspect there's a very good chance he'll have CanPL as his next destination. Playing for Morton is a significant step down financially from being in the top flight in Scotland as they only have a home support of around 1500 and the second tier clubs get significantly less money from the SPFL's TV and sponsorship deals, so he won't have been making too much money on his last contract.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Wasn't Reid doing well? Both those guys would be great pick ups imo.

I didn't watch him play, but for an offensive player to get 4 goals and 1 assist from 29 appearances at the USL level doesn't exactly sound like someone that will be able to contribute for Dallas in MLS.

On Reid, having watched most Fury home games this year, he was far from solid.

He is very quick, but continuously tries to dribble through the defence, rarely with any success. Wasted possession much too often, and gave up on the ball too early as well.

A very frustrating player to watch. Hardly ever played over 60 minutes.

That being said, his performance did improve towards the latter part of the year, and he was clearly hindered by terrible coaching decisions and formation, which had the front wide players run into the corners of the pitch with no support and nobody running into the box for a cross, or at most, only the CF.

Probably the best comparison I can make is Simeon Jackson's time with the CMNT when put on the wing. You feel there's more, but all you really feel like you're getting is frustration. And you question how the coach can possibly think this is a good idea.

6 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

The CPL should not take MLS rejects. We need higher standards and if a player isn't good enough for MLS, he's certainly not CPL quality!

I'm not sure you fully grasp the differing financial situations of the 2 leagues.

At least to start, borderline MLS players have the potential to be big CanPL contributors.

Not to mention that some of them might simply not have been in good situations for their skillset or not fully developed to their potential (which CanPL may help them to reach).

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/askyork9-qa

• Definitely a mix (a mix of internationals and ages) to start, but over the long term the goal of York9 is to take advantage of the hotbed of soccer that York Region is, and fill our team with the talent that already exists locally. *
  • Want to avoid making lateral moves with international players. We want them to help develop our young Canadians and make them better. We will be very selective with our foreigners, and we’re looking to give young Canadians a proper atmosphere to grow develop and challenge their abilities *
  • player signings that we may recognize? A couple players... good Canadian boys.

• keeping an eye on many leagues all over the world

• youth team academy in the future? Yes, but in the meantime we’re very fortunate that York Region is well served with a number of fantastic youth clubs that create a strong pipeline to the York9 first team.

• Players Recruitment? We have a wide network of scouts and contacts we rely on who refer us to players.

With what they are talking about, I'm starting to think that the $1.4M salary cap is accurate or they have some sort of financial scheme such as DP and/or TAM like MLS...otherwise, no way you can deliver the above below a $1M cap

If you look at the coach's reaction to open trial. Comments like, maybe a couple guys will get invited to camp. The fact that they only had 3 rounds of U Sports draft. I dont see how the cap could be any less than 1.4 million. The math just doesnt add up for any less. How on earth would you convince anybody worth a pinch to up and leave a professional environment to come play in a start up league for 30 40k a year. In Victoria you'd be eating egg mcmuffins for breakfast lunch and dinner on that sort of cake

If the cap was under 1 million the league would be stocked with university players and League1 Ontario players. From what ive been seeing and hearing clearly it wont 

Edited by SpursFlu

Any guesses for signings?  These are the ones I think I have figured out:

FC Edmonton: Randy Edwini Bonsu

Pacific FC: Kadin Chung

Valour FC: Skylar Thomas

Halifax Wanderers: Gabriel Boakye (big guess but Hart hinted it was a fullback converted to attacker.. not many of those) 

Cavalry FC: Nik Ledgerwood 

I couldn’t gather anything from some of the player descriptions.  Forge has a Canadian international but I haven’t got a clue who it could be... 

edit: I’m seeing the letters now.. Halifax hasn’t signed Boakye and I’m not sure who it is otherwise 

Edited by Keegan

Prediction on first signings:

Forge FC - Kyle Bekker

Cavalry FC - Nik Ledgerwood

FCE - Allan Zebie or/and Randy Edwin Bonsu

Pacific FC - Kadin Chung

HFX Wanderers & Valour - No idea 

Some I’m guessing based on what they look like with their hood down but the articles/letters when they talk about themselves makes is tricky

Edited by Thomas

47 minutes ago, Winterpeg said:

At first thought Moses Danto, but this adds to the Skyler Thomas theory for Valour FC. 

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Brandt/status/1067851138999955457

The article about Valour's signing says that Gale worked with him. I was just checking Skylar Thomas' info on canadasoccer.com and they only list games for the U23 team in 2015. Was Gale part of that team? https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=3159&t=profile&

What does the tweet you linked to contribute to the Skylar Thomas theory? Despite what I just said above I do think it sounds like a good guess, but the ex-Premier League player tweet makes me think of Simeon Jackson, but that tweet also sounds like the ex-Premier League player is not the first signing.

The one from Forge FC looks like it should be Kyle Bekker, and possibly Chris Nanco. The article suggested the duo are Sigma products.

Zebie and REB seem pretty sure bets in Edmonton. 

Ledgerwood is an obvious one in Calgary, and I have a feeling the second guy could be Babouli. Not many people have been talking about Mo, but the video looks like it could be him and the article suggested the attacker had experience at various levels in North America.

Kadin Chung on Pacific FC seems pretty obvious.

Skylar Thomas definitely fits the look and description at Valour FC.

Halifax is definitely the trickiest one. Originally I thought Pasher or maybe even Petrasso but Hart says that he is looking to return to Canada after stints abroad, so I can't imagine that meaning either of them. So I'm gonna guess Ben Fisk, or an off chance of Stefan Cebara.

32 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

The one from Forge FC looks like it should be Kyle Bekker, and possibly Chris Nanco. The article suggested the duo are Sigma products.

Zebie and REB seem pretty sure bets in Edmonton. 

Ledgerwood is an obvious one in Calgary, and I have a feeling the second guy could be Babouli. Not many people have been talking about Mo, but the video looks like it could be him and the article suggested the attacker had experience at various levels in North America.

Kadin Chung on Pacific FC seems pretty obvious.

Skylar Thomas definitely fits the look and description at Valour FC.

Halifax is definitely the trickiest one. Originally I thought Pasher or maybe even Petrasso but Hart says that he is looking to return to Canada after stints abroad, so I can't imagine that meaning either of them. So I'm gonna guess Ben Fisk, or an off chance of Stefan Cebara.

Biased, but would Babouli be announcing that he's signed for Cavalry when he's still signed to Mississauga Metrostars? That said, I am biased, as I really want him to play for York.