Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I would hope that if a team has the money to waste $50,000 or more on transfer fees they would instead spend it somewhere useful. Maybe start an academy, or sign a professional scout, or use it for stadium upgrades, etc... there are so many things more important than transfer fees. Remember, if you are spending money to buy a better player, you probably still can’t afford to pay him because of the cap.

and as far as stealing players from rivals, the team would have just received your transfer fee. So now they can go and buy just as good a player...

You’re just assuming it wouldn’t be useful. Who is to say your other ideas would help at all?  Who is to say that scout isn’t a dud or that facilities need improved?  What if said player can be bought for 50k, become a fan favourite, sell kits and be transferred for 250k in 2/3 years?

Teams buy players as investments too.. they can grow and make you money and win you matches in the meantime.  My club in England was run as a supporters trust in 4th tier and still bought a Jamaican international for around that price.   

I think to look at a transfer fee as a sunk cost fails to account for so many factors.  

Many of these clubs have deeper pockets than you think.  $50k is nothing really... that’s an average players salary. 

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

You’re just assuming it wouldn’t be useful. Who is to say your other ideas would help at all?  Who is to say that scout isn’t a dud or that facilities need improved?  What if said player can be bought for 50k, become a fan favourite, sell kits and be transferred for 250k in 2/3 years?

Teams buy players as investments too.. they can grow and make you money and win you matches in the meantime.  My club in England was run as a supporters trust in 4th tier and still bought a Jamaican international for around that price.   

I think to look at a transfer fee as a sunk cost fails to account for so many factors.  

Many of these clubs have deeper pockets than you think.  $50k is nothing really... that’s an average players salary. 

Well, lets wait and see how many transfer fees we will see. The vast majority of players will not come with a fee. I’ll be surprised if we see even one fee paid in the first year. It just comes down to economics. 

19 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Well, lets wait and see how many transfer fees we will see. The vast majority of players will not come with a fee. I’ll be surprised if we see even one fee paid in the first year. It just comes down to economics. 

For me, the key point is that players of equal ability will always be available for nothing, so why pay a transfer fee?

And the stand-out players in CPL will be moving up, not laterally to another CPL team, so I don't see that kind of transfer as likely either.

Edited by dsqpr

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Absolutely agree with you on the first year as I said before.  And absolutely agree that it comes down to economics. 

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

For me, the key point is that players of equal ability will always be available for nothing, so why pay a transfer fee?

And the stand-out players in CPL will be moving up, not laterally to another CPL team, so I don't see that kind of transfer as likely either.

That’s just an assumption on your part that you’re passing off as a key point.  It’s all about economics.. to our clubs $50k may not be a lot but to a club in Uruguay it could be.  Think Techera or Mezquida or heck even the next Camilo.  Are you going to pass a guy like that down for $50k because you’re ignorant enough to think you can find an equal player on the Canadian streets? And if such a player existed would you not be competing anyway with other CPL clubs to sign this gem? 

Soccernomics.  There are many, many factors at play here.

Maybe you luck out and the next Camilo is on a free but sometimes you will have to pry them away and $50 k shouldn’t stop you from buying a guy who will make 10x that for your club and bring you success... it’s just common sense.  You have to spend money to make money and luckily these ownership groups already seem to get that.. even if paying transfer fees isn’t topping the agenda right now.

Edited by Keegan

9 hours ago, shamrock said:

Sure, 'cause that is how it works....

Think about it economically. What team is going to have more knowledge of how good the player is? The team that currently owns the player. There will be very few times that teams in the same league will sell to each other as an “investment” looking for profit later. The team that currently owns the player will have a better idea of how much the player is worth, and wont sell the player unless they think they will get more money now than later. But, this is my last post on the topic. This forum isn’t for economical debates. I agree to disagree, and we will see who is right.

How would most compare USL, L10 and PLSQ compare to European leagues and South American Leagues?

I think CPL will go after Canadians in D2 & D3 European league at the next window very hard. They aren't earning that much at that level and could be convinced to come home at a similar salary while having lots of playing time.

I think they pursue these guys ahead of USL guys while not rushing L1O guys now that they own the league for development.

Edited by Ansem

18 minutes ago, Chris 1976 said:

Yes totally agree tier 2/3 Scandinavia is a very good professional level which I would say is comparable to league two England but not as well paid so would fit into 30-40k salary cap

Also, these Euro players are already exposed/breath that soccer competitive culture and pro experience. That's more valuable and that's what you absolutely want to bring into CPL ahead of USL guys. That would help make CPL feel so much more different than a USL + league.

You want these guys to share their experience and pass on that culture onto L1O, USL and Usports guys. Euro D2/D3/ guys must be a priority. Like you said, they would be affordable and would see CPL as a chance to have a fulfilling career with more playing time/responsibilities and a chance at domestic recognition.

They are more likely to climb up into the National team radar (by significantly improving with more playing time - depth player) and have a better shot at championships & Champions League than where they are.

I think the teams know all of that already. I expect lots of action at the winter transfer window for these guys.

Edited by Ansem

Yes spot on and I’m sure the CPL club  pre contracts have been rolling off the printer this past few weeks with the Scandinavian season having just finished.  Southern Europe is another issue though as contracts tend to end in June so very few will be free agents in January window unless they have managed to negotiate a mutual early release from their club or move on loan transfer to the CPL.   Don’t forget as well if a player is under 23 and his parent club have offered a new contract but he decides to run his contract down and join a CPL club training compensation comes into play and is not a Bosman.  So all in allit’s not a simple process signing European based players unless certain factors are in place. 

23 minutes ago, Chris 1976 said:

Yes spot on and I’m sure the CPL club  pre contracts have been rolling off the printer this past few weeks with the Scandinavian season having just finished.  Southern Europe is another issue though as contracts tend to end in June so very few will be free agents in January window unless they have managed to negotiate a mutual early release from their club or move on loan transfer to the CPL.   Don’t forget as well if a player is under 23 and his parent club have offered a new contract but he decides to run his contract down and join a CPL club training compensation comes into play and is not a Bosman.  So all in allit’s not a simple process signing European based players unless certain factors are in place. 

I also expect that clubs will be loaning or/and offering to loan their Canadians to CPL. So a Canadian could be loan mid Euro season to CPL with a buying option attached to the loan.

I see FC Edmonton as being one of the strongest clubs for the 2019 CPL season. They have an advantage being an established club (with an academy as well) in NASL previously for 7 years before their 1 year haitus and will likely have the best international players that will be on their roster to play alongside the Canadian players. Jeff Paulus spoke about it in yesterdays article on the11.ca :

“Other coaches are talking to players from all over, I am talking to the players who I know,” he said.

Paulus said he’s been in contact with many former NASL players, many of whom didn’t play for the Eddies, but know the team from coming to Clarke Stadium as visitors. These are players he would have spoken to post-game, shaken hands with — and some are showing interest in joining FCE when it comes to the Canadian Premier League kickoff.

https://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-has-13-verbal-agreements-in-place-with-players/

Interesting notations on players on the PLSQ "transfer list" for 2019.  http://justesoccer.com/quebec/plsq/les-transferts-plsq-maculine-2019/

e.g. 

Clubs Arrivées Départs Prolongation

Longueuil

Houdeline (TA Rennes N2, France), Michel (France), Aguilar (Mexique) Makunza (Blainville, Fabrose), Monongo (Monteuil), Bona (Halifax, CPL), Farsi (CPL), Descamps (France) Moojen (+ staff), J. Hurtis, Q. Hurtis.

I wonder if they CPL clubs might go after a few Central American players; there is some talent down there, and 1) 99.99% of those players would rather live up here, and 2) CPL salary structure (assumed) would be very attractive to guys playing the Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador etc...

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Interesting notations on players on the PLSQ "transfer list" for 2019.  http://justesoccer.com/quebec/plsq/les-transferts-plsq-maculine-2019/

e.g. 

Longueuil

Houdeline (TA Rennes N2, France), Michel (France), Aguilar (Mexique) Makunza (Blainville, Fabrose), Monongo (Monteuil), Bona (Halifax, CPL), Farsi (CPL), Descamps (France) Moojen (+ staff), J. Hurtis, Q. Hurtis.

Looks like 11 players in total making their way to the CPL from the PLSQ so far, including the two who were drafted. Pierre-Rudolph Mayard is one of them, as some of us expected.

The condensed list:

• FW Pierre-Rudolph Mayard (Blainville)
  • GK Erwann Ofouya (Blainville)
  • MF Kevin Le Nours (Blainville)
  • MF Diyaeddine Abzi (Blainville)
  • FW Hugo Chambon (Blainville)
  • FW Stefan Karajovanovic (Gatineau)
  • DF Andre Bona (Longueuil, drafted by Halifax)
  • MF Mohamed Farsi (Longueuil)
  • MF Aboubacar Sissoko (St-Hubert, drafted by Hamilton)
  • FW  Simon Spenard-Lapierre (Fabrose)
  • MF Michael McIntyre (Lanaudiere)

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

I wonder if they CPL clubs might go after a few Central American players; there is some talent down there, and 1) 99.99% of those players would rather live up here, and 2) CPL salary structure (assumed) would be very attractive to guys playing the Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador etc...

The issue is probably scouting costs though. Not that there won't be any but there's probably a balancing act to he made between the cost efficiency of a central American player vs the scouting required to actually identify them

5 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

e.g. 

Longueuil

Nice find!

13 hours ago, Chris 1976 said:

Yes totally agree tier 2/3 Scandinavia is a very good professional level which I would say is comparable to league two England but not as well paid so would fit into 30-40k salary cap

I dunno in Norway and Sweden the pay is pretty good, even in D2. The way they got Straith easily says pay must be comparable to D3 Germany. That's not too bad. The flip side of course is playing time. Even if the pay is great, players want to play.  

17 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Think about it economically. What team is going to have more knowledge of how good the player is? The team that currently owns the player. There will be very few times that teams in the same league will sell to each other as an “investment” looking for profit later. The team that currently owns the player will have a better idea of how much the player is worth, and wont sell the player unless they think they will get more money now than later. But, this is my last post on the topic. This forum isn’t for economical debates. I agree to disagree, and we will see who is right.

Try to apply this to any other league in the world and see how off it is. If FC Utrecht has a nice player, let's say Dries Mertens, PSV comes along and buys that players 'cause he helps them become Champions.  That is soccernomic basics. 

Of course the majority will be signed for free. Never disagreed about that. But there will be clubs who'll want to improve and the easiest way to do that is buying a proven player from within the league. You literally see it everywhere.