Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

canpl.ca seems to be down (I'm guessing there is probably too much traffic from the swarms of fans wanting to see who was drafted). On twitter I saw that Cavalry picked Gabriel Bitar, Edmonton picked Connor James, and York picked Daniel Gogarty. No doubt someone who actually uses twitter can fill in the gaps for the other teams.

Site is working now for me. https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-u-sports-draft-tracker

Round 2:

Edmonton - Ajeej Sarkaria, F, U of Alberta - Canadian
Pacific - Zach Verhoven, F, UBC - Canadian
HFX - Andre Bona, D, U du Quebec a Montreal - French
York - Emmanuel Zambazis, MF, York - Canadian
Forge - Aboubacar Sissoko, MF, U of M - Malian
Valour - Lewis White, D, Cape Breton U - Scottish
Cavalry - Joel Waterman, MF, Trinity Western U - Canadian

Round 3:

Cavalry - Easton Ongaro, F, U of Alberta - Canadian
Valour - Jack Simpson, MF, Cape Breton U - English
Forge - Marko Mandekic, MF, U of T - Canadian
York - Daniel Pritchard, D, Cape Breton - English
HFX - Christian Oxner, GK, Saint Mary's U - Canadian
Pacific - Nick Fussell, MF, UBC - Canadian
Edmonton - Noah Cunningham, D, U of Alberta - Canadian

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

If it doesn't count against the cap, why not? It be surprising if they didn't 

Has this been confirmed? I don't remember being told anything about the cap

As to the why not, I just think it would be a bad look if a bunch of USL teams signed players to hold ransom and sell off to the CPL. If they start buying a bunch of players from USL right away, it is going to set a precedent that will make USL think they can make some easy money off the CPL

7 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Has this been confirmed? I don't remember being told anything about the cap

As to the why not, I just think it would be a bad look if a bunch of USL teams signed players to hold ransom and sell off to the CPL. If they start buying a bunch of players from USL right away, it is going to set a precedent that will make USL think they can make some easy money off the CPL

I don't know about the salary cap.

I think CPL goes young and don't fall for the USL trap. They might as well go hard after Canadians playing in lower tiers in Europe than buying in bulk in USL

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Also if a CPL club starts splashing out transfer fees in Year One or Two (even a couple of grand), I’d be questioning their financial acumen or their sanity.

How many good Canadian free agents as of January is there left? They won't have much of a choice to bite the bullet this winter transfer window.

As time goes buy and players oversea knows more about CPL, some will just not resign with their clubs and go to CPL on free transfer. I doubt we see much of those in year 1

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

How many good Canadian free agents as of January is there left? They won't have much of a choice to bite the bullet this winter transfer window.

As time goes buy and players oversea knows more about CPL, some will just not resign with their clubs and go to CPL on free transfer. I doubt we see much of those in year 1

Again, that's what finding and developing talent within the country through the open tryouts and the draft are all about.  No club in the US or elsewhere are going to let a player under contract go for free.  I will be very disappointed if clubs start splashing out transfer fees for players (Canadian or not) cause that is financially irresponsible.     

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

1st round:

Cavalry. Gabriel Bitar, MF, Carleton 

Valour FC. Dylan Carreiro, MF, York

Forge FC. Jace Kotsopoulos, F, Guelph

York 9, Daniel Gogarty, D, York

HfX Wanderers. Peter Schaale, D, Cape Breton

Pacific FC. Thomas Gardner, F, UBC

FC Edmonton, Connor James, GK, U of Alberta.

Very interesting to see clubs go more or less local. Only exception is Calgary.

43 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Also if a CPL club starts splashing out transfer fees in Year One or Two (even a couple of grand), I’d be questioning their financial acumen or their sanity.

Yeah, I can't see CPL spending cash on transfer fees. Ever actually. I'm pretty sure it will be a "selling" league. Which is fine.

7 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Yeah, I can't see CPL spending cash on transfer fees. Ever actually. I'm pretty sure it will be a "selling" league. Which is fine.

https://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-ottawa-fury-cpl-roster-rules-and-more

The Canadian Premier League has yet to formally announce any player signings – when can fans expect to see roster decisions?

“You’ll start to see players signed and rosters being built as we get to the end of our Open Trials. As you know, we are a group of storytellers. It’s a journey, and we’ve brought a lot of our supporters and members on this journey with us, so part of it is how we unveil how this all happens. After our coaches get a good look at the Open Trials, and certainly through the winter FIFA transfer window, people will start to see a lot.”

Edited by Ansem

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

https://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-ottawa-fury-cpl-roster-rules-and-more

The Canadian Premier League has yet to formally announce any player signings – when can fans expect to see roster decisions?

“You’ll start to see players signed and rosters being built as we get to the end of our Open Trials. As you know, we are a group of storytellers. It’s a journey, and we’ve brought a lot of our supporters and members on this journey with us, so part of it is how we unveil how this all happens. After our coaches get a good look at the Open Trials, and certainly through the winter FIFA transfer window, people will start to see a lot.”

That doesn’t mean that they’re paying fees.  The transfer window is just a time when transfers occur.. so teams may be releasing guys or guys on contracts that expired in December can sign for clubs. 

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

That doesn’t mean that they’re paying fees.  The transfer window is just a time when transfers occur.. so teams may be releasing guys or guys on contracts that expired in December can sign for clubs. 

That is also true and I don't expect every clubs to go on a shopping spree, however, clubs like Forge and Cavalry can afford it if they choose to do so. 

I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't assume that none of the 7 clubs will pay transfer fees to acquire a player

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It doesn't mean that they will pay transfer fees. I'm sure that some players could get out of their club situations. Petrasso did that to join the Impact.   It might be more that player X is at a club somewhere abroad and has to wait until the new year to get out of his contract to join a CPL club. 

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That is also true and I don't expect every clubs to go on a shopping spree, however, clubs like Forge and Cavalry can afford it if they choose to do so. 

I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't assume that none of the 7 clubs will pay transfer fees to acquire a player

That I agree with, I’d be surprised if they do it off the bat though. 

I think those saying CPL won’t ever pay transfer fees ever are being ridiculous.  We aren’t talking 7 figure fees but I could see a $50k purchase for a young Uruguayan or something like that.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

That I agree with, I’d be surprised if they do it off the bat though. 

I think those saying CPL won’t ever pay transfer fees ever are being ridiculous.  We aren’t talking 7 figure fees but I could see a $50k purchase for a young Uruguayan or something like that.

The CPL's biggest limitation is cash flow. That is likely to be the case for the forseeable future. We are already having much discussion about a salary cap, hoping it will be as high as possible. When you are relatively low on the football pyramid, which is much wider at the bottom, there are lots of comparable players to choose from. Why would you pay a fee for a player when you can almost certainly pick up someone comparable for nothing?

Not to mention that teams at the lower level typically only sign players to one year contracts to limit their own financial liability, so that most players at that level are free agents every summer. 

If CPL teams have some spare cash, it makes a lot more sense to throw it at player salaries or even put it away for a rainy day, rather than paying a transfer fee for a player who is likely no better than someone else you can pick up for nothing -- in fact, someone else who is very possibly better because you can pay him more with the cash you saved.

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

In every other league in the world (ok, maybe except MLS) the topteams buy the best players from the rest of the league. Why wouldn't that be the case in Can PL? 

Because CPL doesn't have a second division, so they really need to make sure the first division stays alive? 

I think it might depend on how CPL roster rules are like. They might have mechanisms in play to not let that happen since the goal is for the league to stay alive long-term and I'm not sure what is the best way to survive long term. The other leagues in the world have been there for a long time and they don't have to worry about survivability because they know they have other teams in the lower leagues.

I would hope that if a team has the money to waste $50,000 or more on transfer fees they would instead spend it somewhere useful. Maybe start an academy, or sign a professional scout, or use it for stadium upgrades, etc... there are so many things more important than transfer fees. Remember, if you are spending money to buy a better player, you probably still can’t afford to pay him because of the cap.

and as far as stealing players from rivals, the team would have just received your transfer fee. So now they can go and buy just as good a player...