Jump to content

Players you expect to see in the CPL


lazlo_80
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thought this was the best possible place to post this.

This is really sensational, when you go back to interviews of Clanachan and Beirne speaking in regards to what kind of players will play in this league and having knowledge of up to “1,000” plying their trade across the globe it speaks volume

In the article of the Five Pools by The Spec 

(Foundational, Up and coming, University,  Home Territory and Open Market) 

The CPL said that they have a list of players and footage of hundreds and hundreds of Canadians elsewhere and that their goal is to bring them back 

I would not be surprised at all if the league has used Canucks Abroad as one of ways to track down what’s currently there

This all but confirms that they support the project, considering “John Herdman has practically admitted to taking a look at their feed” and now CPL president donating means it’s getting the recognition it deserves 

crazy cause you’ve never think that fans alike would make a impact on Canadian soccer (call-ups to CMNT & potential target signings in CPL) 

Well Done @Fussball_eh & Others

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OwnGoalTheo/status/1054734109849907201

Callum Irving departing from Ottawa. Likely CPL target imo

Hope CPL snatches up as many Ottawa players as possible, just to destroy the Ottawa narrative about being unable to keep team together/standard of play

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Game on for the battle for talent between Ottawa Fury and CPL:

 

5 players set to return for the 2019 season

  • Canadians Jamar Dixon, Nana Attakora and Maxim Tissot*
  •  Imports Onua Obasi and Kevin Oliveira. 

*Tissot is looking to come back from injuries that basically ruined his 2018 season

 

Contract negotiations with five other Canadian players

  • Carl Haworth, Eddie Edward, Chris Mannella, Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare and keeper David Monsalve*

*Monsalve will be the only one of the three Fury keepers to return

All of the players outside of the five returnees and ones on the negotiation list won’t be back next season. That’s a total of 15 players off the roster, which also includes Canadian national-team defender David Edgar and domestic forward Daniel Haber.

****But, critics of the Fury will no doubt note that if some of the team’s reasons for not joining the CanPL were to protect its roster and that it couldn’t possibly squeeze its 2018 roster of players into a projected CanPL salary cap, well, they’re going to note that the team just severed ties with 15 players on Tuesday, anyway. We’ll leave that for you all to argue about on the message boards. ??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Game on for the battle for talent between Ottawa Fury and CPL:

 

5 players set to return for the 2019 season

  • Canadians Jamar Dixon, Nana Attakora and Maxim Tissot*
  •  Imports Onua Obasi and Kevin Oliveira. 

*Tissot is looking to come back from injuries that basically ruined his 2018 season

 

Contract negotiations with five other Canadian players

  • Carl Haworth, Eddie Edward, Chris Mannella, Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare and keeper David Monsalve*

*Monsalve will be the only one of the three Fury keepers to return

All of the players outside of the five returnees and ones on the negotiation list won’t be back next season. That’s a total of 15 players off the roster, which also includes Canadian national-team defender David Edgar and domestic forward Daniel Haber.

****But, critics of the Fury will no doubt note that if some of the team’s reasons for not joining the CanPL were to protect its roster and that it couldn’t possibly squeeze its 2018 roster of players into a projected CanPL salary cap, well, they’re going to note that the team just severed ties with 15 players on Tuesday, anyway. We’ll leave that for you all to argue about on the message boards. ??

Wow did not expect that! 15 players leaving The Fury and just Five Locked up for next season with the other 5 in contract negotiations 

Huge Roster Turnover, we will for sure see a handful of these players in the CPL 

And exactly, thought they wanted to protect the majority of their team and now most of these guys are free agents 

Hope they continue with high content of Canadians for 2019 though just onesof higher quality 

Worth noting that Maxime Crepeau, Thomas Meilleir-Giguere and Adoneijh Reid will be returning to their MLS Clubs first, doubt we’ll see all 3 come back maybe 1 at least 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the real reason wasn't that Ottawa didn't want to break up their team. It was that the DID want to break up their team and fill the team with internationals/Americans. What are the Canadian player requirements for them in USL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe the real reason wasn't that Ottawa didn't want to break up their team. It was that the DID want to break up their team and fill the team with internationals/Americans. What are the Canadian player requirements for them in USL?

I don't believe there are any Canadian player requirements in USL, however, there are for the Voyageur's Cup. I believe they need to have 3 starters in the V-Cup. Beyond that, I think we can expect a heavily American-side for the Fury in 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Maybe the real reason wasn't that Ottawa didn't want to break up their team. It was that the DID want to break up their team and fill the team with internationals/Americans. What are the Canadian player requirements for them in USL?

I also wonder if the exodus may have been partly driven by the players themselves.  Anyone out of contract for next year would know that CPL teams will be looking to stock up on quality CanCon, so for guys playing at USL level (our closest comparators CPL at this point) the argument could be made that the available players have a bit of leverage that they wouldn't have at Ottawa if simply renewing a contract, and which they likely won't have again.  

I could be way off base, but I would be interested to hear their side - it is possible that Ottawa didn't walk away from the players, but that the reverse is actually true and the sound bytes are to save face.

Then again I may just be projecting my own biases onto the situation and hoping the CPL gains ground where the Fury lose it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I also wonder if the exodus may have been partly driven by the players themselves.  Anyone out of contract for next year would know that CPL teams will be looking to stock up on quality CanCon, so for guys playing at USL level (our closest comparators CPL at this point) the argument could be made that the available players have a bit of leverage that they wouldn't have at Ottawa if simply renewing a contract, and which they likely won't have again.  

I could be way off base, but I would be interested to hear their side - it is possible that Ottawa didn't walk away from the players, but that the reverse is actually true and the sound bytes are to save face.

Then again I may just be projecting my own biases onto the situation and hoping the CPL gains ground where the Fury lose it.

I really wonder how much Ottawa is paying these players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I don't believe there are any Canadian player requirements in USL, however, there are for the Voyageur's Cup. I believe they need to have 3 starters in the V-Cup. Beyond that, I think we can expect a heavily American-side for the Fury in 2019.

I was pretty sure there were some requirements at one point, but I don't know if it's been scrapped. I didn't find an article but found this thread which jives with my memory.

Dub Narcotic stated in 2016 that "The USSF has no national player quotas for USL teams. The CSA requires 6 out of 11 starters on Canadian clubs to be Canadian as well as the same ratio of minutes played. This ratio can be averaged out over the entire year." I remember reading that or something very similar in a Duane Rollins article (and probably others) back when TFC II started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasnt there an article a week or two ago from Ottawa saying they were going to make a lot of changes to be more competitive for next year??  The whole argument about keeping the lineup intact was fishy from the start, the turnover from year to year in the USL is a fact of life.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was pretty sure there were some requirements at one point, but I don't know if it's been scrapped. I didn't find an article but found this thread which jives with my memory

Dub Narcotic stated in 2016 that "The USSF has no national player quotas for USL teams. The CSA requires 6 out of 11 starters on Canadian clubs to be Canadian as well as the same ratio of minutes played. This ratio can be averaged out over the entire year." I remember reading that or something very similar in a Duane Rollins article (and probably others) back when TFC II started.

That is correct, we (the threads) ragged on whichever CDN USL team wasnt pulling the correct % of CDN kids, until FC Montreal and WC2 got shit canned and Ottawa came in with what I thought was some sort of "grandfather" clause that let them do what they wanted.  Although both TFC2 and Ottawa would have hit a 6/11 ratio this year, so maybe the requirement was still in effect.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I also wonder if the exodus may have been partly driven by the players themselves.  Anyone out of contract for next year would know that CPL teams will be looking to stock up on quality CanCon, so for guys playing at USL level (our closest comparators CPL at this point) the argument could be made that the available players have a bit of leverage that they wouldn't have at Ottawa if simply renewing a contract, and which they likely won't have again.  

I could be way off base, but I would be interested to hear their side - it is possible that Ottawa didn't walk away from the players, but that the reverse is actually true and the sound bytes are to save face.

Then again I may just be projecting my own biases onto the situation and hoping the CPL gains ground where the Fury lose it.

If it is the players leaving for more money in the CPL, wouldn't that discredit the Fury's reasoning for not joining CPL too? Either way they don't look good in this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I really wonder how much Ottawa is paying these players.

Likely not as much as their Twitter trolls would have you believe. 

The excuse was bogus from the start considering their normal year by year turnover and the fact that the vast majority of USL players are only on 8 or 9 month contracts. 

Edited by Alex D
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Likely not as much as their Twitter trolls would have you believe. 

The excuse was bogus from the start considering their normal year by year turnover and the fact that the vast majority of USL players are only on 8 or 9 month contracts. 

I wonder what the average CPL contract will be? Can't picture it being much longer tbh.

Edited by matty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Me neither, but for the Fury to put USL on a pedestal is amuzing at best. 

Ye never bought that "keep this team together" line. Found the travel costs and maybe spending more cash stuff more believable.

Still, it'll be weird if the CPL teams' actually sign many players to deals longer than a season given the super short season unless they're doing an indoor league thing (which I hope they do not). Even player options don't make a lot of sense.

Edited by matty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think them being out of contract during the off-season would help them transfer out to a team and back again in time for the start of the next CPL season. At best they could do one of those moderately old school MLS January loans (Thierry, Donovan).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, Kent said:

I was pretty sure there were some requirements at one point, but I don't know if it's been scrapped....

There definitely were for the three MLS reserve teams, but it's not been clear whether it applied to Ottawa. I suspect we are going to see the Fury go back to signing more imports again in an effort to compete a bit better with the top independent teams in USL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There definitely were for the three MLS reserve teams, but it's not been clear whether it applied to Ottawa. I suspect we are going to see the Fury go back to signing more imports again in an effort to compete a bit better with the top independent teams in USL.

?

Sorry, I saw "compete" and "Fury" in the same sentence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think them being out of contract during the off-season would help them transfer out to a team and back again in time for the start of the next CPL season. At best they could do one of those moderately old school MLS January loans (Thierry, Donovan).

I think the window is too short too leave and come back by typical means but also a little long (4-5 month off-season not counting to training, I know CFL do it but CFL also draws 25k a game) to have a guy under contract unless he's a draw or has a lot of sale potential. I see a lot of guys (between say 22 and 32) maybe jumping from one team to another between seasons a lot unless they have strong ties to the city.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, matty said:

Ye never bought that "keep this team together" line. Found the travel costs and maybe spending more cash stuff more believable.

Still, it'll be weird if the CPL teams' actually sign many players to deals longer than a season given the super short season unless they're doing an indoor league thing (which I hope they do not). Even player options don't make a lot of sense.

Will the CPL season be shorter than MLS? If not what is the concern with deals over a season?  We aren’t the only league in cold climate.

As for Fury, I think you’ll see a few of the guys “negotiating” leave too.  I think some of those names may have been strategically set out like that to lessen the shock/blow.  It sounds a lot better to say you’re sending off 15 guys and negotiating with a few than we’re sending off 18 guys including the franchise player.

Players want to test the waters now.  They don’t want to wait and miss out on this once in a lifetime chance to bargain their way to places where they are wanted.  The Fury will go on next year by loaning Montreal players and signing cheap foreigners similar to 2015. 

Edited by Keegan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Will the CPL season be shorter than MLS? If not what is the concern with deals over a season?  We aren’t the only league in cold climate.

Yes, CPL season will be shorter than MLS. MLS starts in March and including playoffs goes into December. If CPL sticks with their no-playoffs idea the season will go from April to October.

As for his concern, maybe you've read it now but from his latest post it sounds like the concern is just the team's ability/desire to continue paying players during the offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...