Jump to content
lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

Recommended Posts

I did some research because I was bored. I have a list of about 100 players who have some potential to play in the CPL. It ranges from USL to about the Scottish Prem. I have player ages, position, and last club and league. I also included my estimation of the player’s current salary (which probably isn’t all that accurate). As well, I gave a rating of the likelihood of the player accepting an offer from the CPL (again, personal opinion, and not entirely accurate). 

I just did this for fun, and i figured some of you might enjoy it. Many of the players on the list will be to high of a level to accept an offer, other may be paid to highly, and i really don’t know the details of contracts for players. Some may be in the middle of a long-term contract and i have no idea. But, i think many of these players will end up being the guys in the league in the early years. If you know more about salaries or such, please feel free to edit the document.

Just PM me an email address, or if anyone knows how to upload a Excel doc onto the forum...

Here is a Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78hpgogiwie4e1k/Potential

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I did some research because I was bored. I have a list of about 100 players who have some potential to play in the CPL. It ranges from USL to about the Scottish Prem. I have player ages, position, and last club and league. I also included my estimation of the player’s current salary (which probably isn’t all that accurate). As well, I gave a rating of the likelihood of the player accepting an offer from the CPL (again, personal opinion, and not entirely accurate). 

I just did this for fun, and i figured some of you might enjoy it. Many of the players on the list will be to high of a level to accept an offer, other may be paid to highly, and i really don’t know the details of contracts for players. Some may be in the middle of a long-term contract and i have no idea. But, i think many of these players will end up being the guys in the league in the early years. If you know more about salaries or such, please feel free to edit the document.

Just PM me an email address, or if anyone knows how to upload a Excel doc onto the forum...

Here is a Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78hpgogiwie4e1k/Potential

fantastic:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I did some research because I was bored. I have a list of about 100 players who have some potential to play in the CPL. It ranges from USL to about the Scottish Prem. I have player ages, position, and last club and league. I also included my estimation of the player’s current salary (which probably isn’t all that accurate). As well, I gave a rating of the likelihood of the player accepting an offer from the CPL (again, personal opinion, and not entirely accurate). 

I just did this for fun, and i figured some of you might enjoy it. Many of the players on the list will be to high of a level to accept an offer, other may be paid to highly, and i really don’t know the details of contracts for players. Some may be in the middle of a long-term contract and i have no idea. But, i think many of these players will end up being the guys in the league in the early years. If you know more about salaries or such, please feel free to edit the document.

Just PM me an email address, or if anyone knows how to upload a Excel doc onto the forum...

Here is a Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78hpgogiwie4e1k/Potential

I can't help you with salary numbers, but I know his name is "Doneil Henry", not "Daniel Henry".

Nice work though. Maybe once the league starts up you can start ticking off the names that end up in the league, and see how much you got right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for doing this. It's interesting to look at this list and speculate about the different appeals of signing with the CPL. I would guess that for each player it will be a blend of 1. Salary,  2. Prospects of playing time, 3. Career arc/ambition, and 4. Personal and family life.  Without knowing the actual salaries on offer, nor the exact current salaries of the guys on this list, clearly it will be a different set of factors that would entice Kianz Froese as opposed to Tosaint Ricketts or Ben McKendry.  Does a Teibert or Hamilton jump for more playing time and a higher profile but less money?  Does a Gabriel Boakye trade German ambitions for more money immediately and how much would it take?  Looking forward to the first roster announcements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doubtful you will see many bench MLS players make the leap...at least initially. Players like Hamilton and Chapman are making about 130K CAD. Tiebert about 200K CAD. 

I guess we could see some loans where MLS team are still absorbing part of the salary though? How would loans work with the salary cap system in MLS? Like say if TFC loaned Jordan Hamilton to a CPL team but still payed 25% of his salary....would that 25% still count towards to their cap or would they be completely offloading the cap hit? Because if it's the latter I could see that be pretty appealing to a team like TFC where they are constrained more by the cap than money.

Edited by mpg_29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I mentioned other factors though. There are always things we don't know about (player is starting a family and would prefer to be close to grandparents, player is struggling with culture or language overseas, etc etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I'm doubtful you will see many bench MLS players make the leap...at least initially. Players like Hamilton and Chapman are making about 130K CAD. Tiebert about 200K CAD. 

I guess we could see some loans where MLS team are still absorbing part of the salary though? How would loans work with the salary cap system in MLS? Like say if TFC loaned Jordan Hamilton to a CPL team but still payed 25% of his salary....would that 25% still count towards to their cap or would they be completely offloading the cap hit? Because if it's the latter I could see that be pretty appealing to a team like TFC where they are constrained more by the cap than money.

That would be an interesting thing for CPL to try and negotiate.  MLS gets general player development capacity while still retaining their sell-on rights,  MLS teams get first team minutes for fringe players as well as freeing up cap room, and CPL gets an injection of quality that the MLS teams would subsidize.  Would be a massive win on a number of fronts.  The only big question is if MLS will do anything whatsoever to assist the success of CPL or if they will try to obstruct it where possible.  Aside from their interest in the success of the 3 Canadian MLS clubs, you can imagine a mindset where they would like CPL to succeed to keep raising the profile of the NA domestic game and to deepen the interest in, and quality of, the CONCACAF Champions League.  

It will be extremely interesting to see how MLS responds to the launch of this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way things are shaping up a guy like Akindele or Nakajima would be a star in this league. Neither have anything other than extended family here but I wonder if this is the kind of Canadian international we can expect to see at the upper end of the scale to begin with in this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine MLS doing anything to help CPL.. this is like if a rival pro hockey league started in Canada, the NHL would lose their **** and try to bury it. 2 pro teams within an hour of one of the biggest clubs in MLS just as they’re becoming global, mls won’t like that.  MLS has not been kind to any competing leagues that refuse to acknowledge themselves as being under their umbrella. 

I just hope that the parties involved don’t act like the NHL and while they compete with one another and don’t do any favours they can also cooperate through competitions and transfers. If it’s in the best interests of players it should go ahead. I do think the CPL is going to compete for young talent and that is going to annoy MLS who may in turn shy away from loan deals outside USL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

For those interested, I am keeping track of the players who have asked Canucks Abroad to be featured as being players interested in playing in #CanPL .

 

In fairness, none of those players strike me as high quality, but regardless it is good to see that there are a lot of young players out there looking forward to getting a shot.

Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

In fairness, none of those players strike me as high quality, but regardless it is good to see that there are a lot of young players out there looking forward to getting a shot.

Keep up the good work!

I said high quality cause I needed a positive adjective. If I just said "players" then my argument would be weaker ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless these players start getting regular minutes at higher levels, I hope Victoria signs Simon Thomas and Dario Zanatta, maybe even Brett Levis.

Edited by C2SKI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

Unless these players start getting regular minutes at higher levels, I hope Victoria signs Simon Thomas and Dario Zanatta, maybe even Brett Levis.

Simon Thomas and Adam Straith would be a perfect fit with Victoria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Simon Thomas and Adam Straith would be a perfect fit with Victoria

It's crazy Straith is still only 27. I feel like he's been around forever. He'd be a great player for Victoria to pick up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough quality players?  48 U Sports teams equally close to 1,200 players.  Even if the CanPL starts with 8 teams with 25 man rosters, that's 200 players.  Quality is subjective.  I haven't counted all the "better" NCAA players.  I feel like the 80% Canadian per roster will be a good number, so 160 Canadian players.  Quality will improve over time as more "Wanderers" come home.

Top 2 Carleton goal scorers are also 1st year players.  Bitar and Karajovanovic could be ones to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone’s speculating on the %.  It could be anywhere between 25% and 75% and anyone who claims to know is really speculating.

My speculation is that we’re talking 12 Canadians per team for 8 teams- 96 players to start and we defiantly have the player pool for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Everyone’s speculating on the %.  It could be anywhere between 25% and 75% and anyone who claims to know is really speculating.

My speculation is that we’re talking 12 Canadians per team for 8 teams- 96 players to start and we defiantly have the player pool for that.

 

Mostly agree with the numbers you've got (I think it'll be at least 60% CanCon) and do think you could produce the players from the current pool. The only concern is signing enough national team capped players to help boost the early on field product. I would say you need at least 3 a team for 18-24 (6-8 teams) and that could be a little iffy. Ideally they would be ready to sign players before that group starts signing elsewhere for 2018-19 (eg. James' recent signing in Denmark) but sadly it seems they might be a little late to that boat.

Loans are always possible.

They also should really be looking around the various CONCACAF leagues and national teams for the other 20-40% of players soon too as there are many national team level players from places like El Salvador and Curacao who might be willing to jump to CPL that could prove very useful in both developing the non-national team Canadians and delivering on field. The Nations League should help find some gems I hope.

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for the first year they may keep the CanCon requirement low as to not accidentally create a market where Canadians are unnecessarily overvalued. They'll likely want to ensure they have every bargaining chip with these players available to them. If agents know each team NEEDS 8 Canadian players or something like that suddenly it gives the agents and players too much leverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it should be a limit on foreign players in the starting XI similar to Uruguay.  Much more manageable if you limit it to 4/5 foreign players per lineup.. that will keep quality higher but ensure the majority of time on the pitch is Canadian.  

I think USports players will be challenged to make teams in this league this hopefully isn’t going to be some PDLish league - sure we hope for the next Jazic or Levis but there are literally tons of Canadian players all over the world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...