Jump to content

Players you expect to see in the CPL


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

Lol, I'll play BBTB's game and speak his language.

Clearly that was a play to nab an NASL team and destabilize that league even further.

As for the second bolded point.

Increasing the talent pool is only one part of the equation. The CPL is looking to build substantial soccer infrastructure across the country.

Here's a scenario: down the road in the future, a professional soccer club finally tears down its pop up and builds a permanent 20,000+ SSS to meet fan demand and take the club to the next level financially and professionally. Do you see this happening in the USL or CPL? Be honest.

Also overlooked is the potentially massive benefit from having people in CSA leadership with decades of experience actually running pro soccer teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t see it as payback at all.  There are no more Canadian teams in the league and now there is the CPL, Canadians should be considered international players.  The same way Americans in the CPL sho

The league has nothing to gain business-wise doing this. You can be sure that the 3 MLS teams would use this precedent to apply pressure to get their reserve squads in the league cementing the "2nd ra

Posted Images

Lefèvre has played for Ottawa in the past on loan, and has been called up to the national team. He's met De Guzman before.

Likewise, he's friends with Maxim Tissot. Just from a Franco-Ontarien perspective, I want another French-speaking player to give interviews and work the circuit in the city. Unique FM hasn't had a quality Fury piece since 2016, and Le Droit all but gave up covering the Fury last season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Lefèvre has played for Ottawa in the past on loan, and has been called up to the national team. He's met De Guzman before.

Likewise, he's friends with Maxim Tissot. Just from a Franco-Ontarien perspective, I want another French-speaking player to give interviews and work the circuit in the city. Unique FM hasn't had a quality Fury piece since 2016, and Le Droit all but gave up covering the Fury last season. 

Do you believe the drop in media interest may have been related to the move from the NASL to the USL?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Do you believe the drop in media interest may have been related to the move from the NASL to the USL?

I honestly don't know. 

Unique FM used to air Fury games on their weekend programming (2014 - 2016) and did not air the games last year. They were the only place to tune in and listen to the games in French. That might also be due to OSEG nabbing the French language host of said program to work in their comms department. 

The drop from NASL to USL didn't really adversely affect attendance, as average attendance hovered around 5,500 in both 2016 and 2017. Not sure that would carry over to media interaction. 

I can say that the partnership with the Impact did generate quite a bit of buzz in Franco-Ontarien circles, and the exhibition game with the Impact received some decent coverage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Kent said:

Who is this kind of guy? I haven’t heard of him.

Exactly my point.

I seen it on reddit, and got ridiculed for my comments stating that this isn't the "kind of player" Canadian fans want .

By kind i mean, a player who has 34 games in the past 4 years in the USL/NASL

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'll back you up on this one.  I dont want to see any US journeymen in CPL until every CDN journeyman has a job and we have given all the CSL, CDN NCaa kids and L1Ontario/Quebec league guys trials.  

I have no issue if there are US journeymen but it depends on the type. Like in this case I'd pass but if it was a 27-30 year old guy who has jumped around but seen, say, 100 games in 4 years between MLS and USL then I think that's a guy worth exploring. While I want to see a high rate of CanCon there will be moments when, for the level of play, you are going to have to sign foreign talent and a 29 year-old journeyman from the States might be a safer bet than a 24 year-old D2 NCAA guy. Also not sure I want CSL guys in the CPL or not.

Edited by matty
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, matty said:

I have no issue if there are US journeymen but it depends on the type. Like in this case I'd pass but if it was a 27-30 year old guy who has jumped around but seen, say, 100 games in 4 years between MLS and USL then I think that's a guy worth exploring. While I want to see a high rate of CanCon there will be moments when, for the level of play, you are going to have to sign foreign talent and a 29 year-old journeyman from the States might be a safer bet than a 24 year-old D2 NCAA guy. Also not sure I want CSL guys in the CPL or not.

True. Memories of Ted Eck, a US journeyman of decent quality, who played in the original CSL for both Ottawa and Toronto. He was productive scoring decent numbers of goals. He may have even led the league one year.

As for the current CSL, there may be a few youngsters in there that could fit into a CPL. We can't just right off everybody who has played there. Most probably need not apply but we can't paint all with one brush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

As for the current CSL, there may be a few youngsters in there that could fit into a CPL. We can't just right off everybody who has played there. Most probably need not apply but we can't paint all with one brush.

I agree and disagree somewhat. Yes there are guys there with no links and potenial but the issue is trying to paint the CPL as Canada's "Premier League". Signing lets's say a dozen guys from an unsanctioned league with a documented history of criminal activities could really hurt that image both domestically and abroad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matty said:

I agree and disagree somewhat. Yes there are guys there with no links and potenial but the issue is trying to paint the CPL as Canada's "Premier League". Signing lets's say a dozen guys from an unsanctioned league with a documented history of criminal activities could really hurt that image both domestically and abroad.

But are we going to restrict their careers because they might ... or might not ... have been on a team that was involved with a fixed game? We'd be punishing somebody just for association without there necessarily even being an allegation against that person.  A player is a player.  It has to be taken on a case by case basis.  There haven't been any allegations regarding the league in a few years now.  While I wouldn't want to be associated with the league as such, players moving from that league to a CPL can't be blackballed. Too much collateral damage.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

True. Memories of Ted Eck, a US journeyman of decent quality, who played in the original CSL for both Ottawa and Toronto. He was productive scoring decent numbers of goals. He may have even led the league one year.

As for the current CSL, there may be a few youngsters in there that could fit into a CPL. We can't just right off everybody who has played there. Most probably need not apply but we can't paint all with one brush.

 Eck was hard done by MLS not existing ten years earlier. One of the better Americans players most Americans have never heard of. I'd take him in CPL every day of the week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

But are we going to restrict their careers because they might ... or might not ... have been on a team that was involved with a fixed game? We'd be punishing somebody just for association without there necessarily even being an allegation against that person.  A player is a player.  It has to be taken on a case by case basis.  There haven't been any allegations regarding the league in a few years now.  While I wouldn't want to be associated with the league as such, players moving from that league to a CPL can't be blackballed. Too much collateral damage.


 

 

They did make the choice to go there and the league's activities are still be documented by cbc and the toronto star. I'm not saying blacklist but there is conflict and are other options that are clean like l1o, plsq and ncaa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Arent there plenty of US based leagues for Americans already??  I dont really care about americans who never got a shot in MLS, but CDN that might get exposure/opportunities playing in canada next year.   No matter what the final Can con rules are with the CPL, I would hope they would have a good long look at the CDN players available.  And I meant CIS not CSL, my bad, although they should look at anyone with a CDN passport.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...