Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

32 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I get the more money piece but I find so many players career abroad comes with so much uncertainty, stops and starts, lack of playing time. Coming to the CPL feels like more playing time, certainty, exposure. There is some upside mainly just playing week in week out

Definitely worth the risk for a year or two if the wages are somewhat competitive. It's getting there slowly, if you are in the top end of CPL wages it's not horrific I guess. The more players that continue to move upwards from the CPL the more attractive it will become for a short term spell, regardless of wages. 

12 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Definitely worth the risk for a year or two if the wages are somewhat competitive. It's getting there slowly, if you are in the top end of CPL wages it's not horrific I guess. The more players that continue to move upwards from the CPL the more attractive it will become for a short term spell, regardless of wages. 

I’m curious to find out what salaries are like for players like Loturi and Abzi. I’d guess that they won’t be an awful lot higher than what they could earn in CPL, but I could be wrong. I think those moves are more about exposure than salaries. For that reason I think we’ll soon be at an impasse in regards to CPL wages. Now that more players seem to be garnering interest from abroad, I think we’ll see a larger drain on talent if we don’t increase salaries. 

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I’m curious to find out what salaries are like for players like Loturi and Abzi. I’d guess that they won’t be an awful lot higher than what they could earn in CPL, but I could be wrong. I think those moves are more about exposure than salaries. For that reason I think we’ll soon be at an impasse in regards to CPL wages. Now that more players seem to be garnering interest from abroad, I think we’ll see a larger drain on talent if we don’t increase salaries. 

I am no expert but from what I have read on here previously, I would expect even as bench players in SPL and Ligue 2, their salaries would be double or triple what they earn in CPL.

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

I am no expert but from what I have read on here previously, I would expect even as bench players in SPL and Ligue 2, their salaries would be double or triple what they earn in CPL.

Good to hear. I thought I read that Paton was only on 35k, which isn’t an awful lot. Regardless, some really interesting transfers in and out of Europe this summer (Pepple, Abzi, Loturi, Akio, Mwandwe). It sucks that it’s happening mid CPL season, but I’m really interested to see how they all play out, and what this means for the future of CPL

Not to harp on this, but while I’m excited about how these boys succeed and help set precedence for future moves, I do hope we have the ability to aim higher than recent transfers sometime soon. Hopefully these midseason transfers help by having these boys perform and compete well, thereby raising the leagues status 

Edited by Aird25

18 hours ago, Big_M said:

someone turning 34 next year? why? and if hes spent the last 9 years in hong kong hes probably settled there

Most people in HK are not settled there these days even if they were born and raised there.  I know people who have been there 25 years who have left or are in the process of leaving these days.  Everyone bar the patriots are looking for a way out

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Most people in HK are not settled there these days even if they were born and raised there.  I know people who have been there 25 years who have left or are in the process of leaving these days.  Everyone bar the patriots are looking for a way out

his brother still plays edmonton Scottish. parents are in edmonton. 

Good signing for the Calvary maybe or valour. if he has anything left in the tank. Jordan Webb flamed out pretty quick.

• 5 weeks later...

Considering the Jordan Brown news, I looked at some of the L10 stats from this year, there are quite a few players with CPL or pro ties that I imagine could get a chance:

Taha Ilyass (24) was talked about a lot during the CPL Got Game Trials due to being the only Hamiltonian making it past the cuts. He's currently third in league scoring, with 19 goals in 19 games. If Campbell, Hamilton or Welshman were to not return to Forge next season I could see the hometown kid being brought in as a big body forward.

Massimo Ferrin (23) was a frequent starter at the USL Championship level in 2020-2021 and is currently scoring at an impressive goal per every 47 minutes rate, the Vaughan forward is tied for the league lead with 23 goals. It would make a lot of sense for him to land on a York United squad that needs scoring.

Kosi Nwafornso (24) signed with Forge in 2021 after spending time in USL2, but I don't think he ever played a minute. Has only played 719 minutes for Vaughan, but is scoring at a goal per every 44 minutes clip. The 6 foot 1 striker has a business degree handy and may be settled in the GTA, but might be another option for York.

Alex Zis (24), former Forge draft pick plying his trade for ProStars after winning the league with Guelph last season. After a rougher start to the season, ProStars have won 10 of the last 11 now after Zis coming in. The attacking midfielder took home team of the year and top midfielder honours last season. Forge might be a bit full in his position due to Hojabrpour and Bekker, but hard to figure he doesn't find a chance.

Mo Alshakman (19) - One of the younger CPL draft picks, Alshakman had 7 goals and 6 assists from the midfield in League1. As a Hamilton-raised, Sigma academy product, the USports All-Rookie Alshakman seems like a good bet for an opportunity with Forge again next season.

It's a little more difficult finding numbers for L1BC, but former FCEd midfielder and Pacific draft pick Thomas Gardner (24) seems to be having quite a season with 7 straight team of the week appearances from weeks 2 to 9. If FC Edmonton regains proper ownership, I could see them bringing him back and otherwise one of the two BC organizations might see him as a good depth add.

Over in PLSQ: Loic Kwemi (25) was identified as a top performer back in the inaugural Got Game Trials (Alberta camp). The midfielder is leading PLSQ in scoring, with 12 goals in only 807 minutes.

Jordan Tisseur (22) is a goalkeeper who sat on the bench with Ottawa Fury in the USL Championship, has played on a defensively impressive Laval squad. He has only conceded 8 goals through 15 starts, with 8 clean sheets in that time.