Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

40 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm honestly less concerned about a $1.5m salary cap, and more concerned about a salary floor - something I've seen nothing about so far.  It's nice to say that the goal is $1.5m on player salaries - but if that's the goal - then the reality will be somewhat lower, and it will be important to place a minimum on salary expenditures to maintain the quality that this league is gunning for.

Also concerned about the TV aspect, because I recall seeing a tweet from Rossi suggesting that it may not happen (and he didn't think it was important).  I don't expect a lot of direct revenue from a TV deal, but it's hella important in terms of legitimacy and putting butts in seats.

I think it depends if we are looking at true single entity or heavy revenue sharing 

If it's single entity, it's probably more accurate to say everyone will have a 1.5M budget rather than cap, as there's no motivation to spend less than others.  If it's revenue sharing, a cap floor is definitely something to discuss 

13 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm honestly less concerned about a $1.5m salary cap, and more concerned about a salary floor - something I've seen nothing about so far....

That's a good point given Canadian soccer has a history of leagues calling themselves professional and then fielding teams that were no different from top level amateur in practice. Nothing turns off the knowledgebale portion of the soccer community faster than that. In the original CSL, the Whitecaps, Blizzard and Steelers consistently fielded teams that were legitimately somewhere between semi- and fully pro in their approach, and Montreal got there towards the end. The problems start when you have to fill out the numbers to eight or so and weaker groups are allowed in to make up the numbers that are soon unable to make monthly payrolls when they burn through their startup capital and wind up having to field whatever roster of local amateur players will sign on to play for nothing. Hopefully we are truly in a new era now.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

10 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I think it depends if we are looking at true single entity or heavy revenue sharing 

If it's single entity, it's probably more accurate to say everyone will have a 1.5M budget rather than cap, as there's no motivation to spend less than others.  If it's revenue sharing, a cap floor is definitely something to discuss 

That's where the difference lies between billionaires willing to lose money (overall profits of hundreds of millions means a team losing $2M wouldn't be a disaster for them). TFC lost money too but MLSE are so rich that theyou keep doing what they need to win and that's investing on the team. 

versus

multi-millionaires who would lose sleep over their team losing $2M a season. Those type of owners would indeed try to be competitive by spending as little as possible.

Seems this is what CPL was after, deep pockets owners who understands that to make money and win, you have to invest and accept losing money at first.

I hope FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury have deep pockets, otherwise it would sucks for those 2 markets to play at the cap floor and have a mediocre team by signing USL players to save money.

Potential players have been listed. Ideally quite a few MLS academy players also move into this league - be it permanent sale or loan deal, doesn't really matter. 

What we will find is some real gems get cast off by MLS programs for one reason or another, and we'll find ourselves with 1-2 additional CanMNT players every year. Thus tripling our men's player pool shortly - and that's what it's actually about. Because once guys get into CanMNT they are more likely to get an MLS, Euro or other pro contract.

edited out of my post about the L1O League Awards Luncheon yesterday: 

I was looking forward all afternoon to the speech by league chair Dino Rossi
after he got through the customary "Thank you's" to staff, players and team
officials.  He mentioned he was looking to the next level 'above' their own
league which I took to mean the new Canadian Premier League which will
operate across Canada and is supposed to start in 2018.  He hoped for
a women's league too.  Rossi said L1O is going to be very supportive and
that their players and game officials will be able to help their operations. 
Neither he nor Ron Smale President of the OSA who also went through the same
thank-yous mentioned the new league by name.

I was expecting Rossi would announce any new L1O teams that would begin
in 2017 and asked him after the event was over but he said that information
will be announced at the League meeting in two weeks.  I can wait.    

I'd say L1O could help the new league fill quite a few roster spots.  Just like
players a few years ago had nowhere to go after they were teenagers, now that
some of these players in this league like Elvir Gigolaj, the leading scorer,
has turned 24, does L1O really want them?  What does he do next year?  Try for
30 goals? L1O is making its reputation as an Under 23 league with its
rules about how many U-23s must be on game day rosters.  I don't know enough  
about the new league's budgets as to whether or not they can pay an L1O player
a living wage if they draft him to play out of province.  

6 Teams of 25 for 150~

75 Canadians (with a 50% roster quota, 10-20 national team guys, 10-20 NASL guys and a number of L1O, PQSL and NCAA guys)
12 DPs from mostly European nations (all will have CVs with biggish clubs and a few national team caps)
30-40 Americans (Mostly MLS level guys looking to break out and NASL guys wanting more money and stability)
20-30 for other CONCACAF nations (national team players formerly playing in their domestic leagues)
10-20 from non-CONCACAF nations (betting most of them will be League 1 or 2 guys)

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, matty said:

30-40 Americans (Mostly MLS level guys looking to break out and NASL guys wanting more money and stability)

If you can get an International player (Southern Hemisphere) for the same price or cheaper, that's who's going to get picked ahead of Americans

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If you can get an International player (Southern Hemisphere) for the same price or cheaper, that's who's going to get picked ahead of Americans

With NASL collapse looking imminent with the recent news about the Cosmos not paying players I think it will be interesting to see what happens to a lot of those 40k type guys in NASL. 

It could be that the USL's average spending will trend upward with D2 status, but if those guys are suddenly looking at a 16k salary in USL, I could see some guys heading to Canada as veterans of the level of play CPL is aiming for

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

could be but if the salaries are as high as most think they will be and if the nasl falls off a cliff i think it's more likely we'll end up seeing americans as the largest number of non-canadians

1 hour ago, matty said:

could be but if the salaries are as high as most think they will be and if the nasl falls off a cliff i think it's more likely we'll end up seeing americans as the largest number of non-canadians

I doubt that. We'll see some Americans but I doubt they will be the majority. There's lots of gems out there in Southern Hemisphere D2 leagues that are way more interesting than Americans who can't crack NASL or MLS that would gladly take a contract in CPL and move here. Same thing that's being done to Canadians in MLS would happen in CPL. Most team would rather pay for a D2-D3 southern Hemisphere player than a D2-D3 American player who clearly doesn't match their technical skills at equal value or cheaper. (I'd even argue that paying a little more makes more sense if you value quality on the field)

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I doubt that. We'll see some Americans but I doubt they will be the majority. There's lots of gems out there in Southern Hemisphere D2 leagues that are way more interesting than Americans who can't crack NASL or MLS that would gladly take a contract in CPL and move here. Same thing that's being done to Canadians in MLS would happen in CPL. Most team would rather pay for a D2-D3 southern Hemisphere player than a D2-D3 American player who clearly doesn't match their technical skills at equal value or cheaper. (I'd even argue that paying a little more makes more sense if you value quality on the field)

I didn't say majority I said largest single block of non-Canadians (30-40) which could easily happen and also if you look at the numbers I posted I'm of the opinion we'll see almost as many Latin/Caribbean players (30-50) when you combine Caribbean, Central and possible South America players. There could be a large number of South Americans (I agree they'd be willing to sign with a CPL team) and maybe Africans but I don't think it's gonna be what you're thinking.

If there's 72 foreign roster spots I bet probably 20 will go to Americans.

I think the big block of players  will go to the Central American, Carribean.

There's going to be a big block of players from smaller COMENBOL countries plus Brazil Series B.

There will probably be a small minority from Northern Europe and the U.K. 

I think it's just easier to get highly technical and skilled players from Latin America for 50-75k who will be better than American players who you can get for the same wages.

Edited by baulderdash77

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

There's going to be a big block of players from smaller COMENBOL countries plus Brazil Series B.

There will probably be a small minority from Northern Europe and the U.K. 

I agree with you on the first two points and could see the last one going either way (I think we'll actually see a lot more Americans on depth player salaries which is why I pick them to be the largest non-Canadian provider) but the two above I find more difficult to agree or disagree with.

When you look at the nations in MLS there are 20 more European players than South Americans but Argentina (with 24) is the largest provider of talent that's not the US or Canada and Brazil and Columbia are tied for 3rd (with 15) behind England (with 23). The only other Euro nation with 10+ players in MLS is France (with 13). Outside of CONCACAF the only other nation with 10+ players is Ghana (with 11).

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-players-birthplace-2016-jugadores-por-lugar-de-nacimiento-2016

• 3 months later...

If there's a starting lineup quota for canadians, which there probably will be... I'm betting on almost all the goalkeepers being Canadians. We probably have ten guys who would sign for 50k and be starting quality in this league; Stillo, Roberts, Monsalve Chensinski, Smits, all the guys on 1 year contracts in USL and the guys in the lower teirs of Euro leagues like Latendresse-Levesque and Al-Shaibani. The backup and 3rd keeper positions would almost certainly be domestic players, as you wouldn't want to pay high salaries or use international spots on those positions.Would expect to see a lot of NCAA and CIS guys fill those spots. Even if the starter was an international we'd be a red card, injury or rest day away from a Canadian getting a shot I'd assume. 

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bump this thread in light of the discussion of Osorio in the main CPL thread.  I have no idea how possible it is given the format, but is there any way we can make a table that shows some of the CPL player prospects that have been raised in various posts here and elsewhere? 

We currently have a bunch of guys playing in USL and NASL that would seem to be pretty likely candidates, as well as some fringe MLS guys that might want more playing time in CPL.  Throw in the older Euro-based guys that have not hit the highest tiers and who may want to come home to play, and we would get a pretty good landscape of who might fill out the CanCon of the CPl teams.  

No idea if it is even possible, but it would be cool to be able to see that kind of list at-a-glance.

I hope you guys take Tiebert, Adekugbe, Carducci, Bustos and Froese when its up and running.  Don't think Tiebert survives being in thr Caps roster for the next 2 years.  Adekugbe is injury prone and by the time the league starts might want to play locally.  Carducci might interest some teams.  I believe his stock is average USL player at most.  Froese, well he plays in the 3rd-4th division in Germany.  Can't be as bad as playing in the CPL.  Regarding Bustos, well, can't see him being MLS starter material.  The chances he's had have been mixed.  He might become a star in the CPL.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I hope you guys take Tiebert, Adekugbe, Carducci, Bustos and Froese when its up and running.  Don't think Tiebert survives being in thr Caps roster for the next 2 years.  Adekugbe is injury prone and by the time the league starts might want to play locally.  Carducci might interest some teams.  I believe his stock is average USL player at most.  Froese, well he plays in the 3rd-4th division in Germany.  Can't be as bad as playing in the CPL.  Regarding Bustos, well, can't see him being MLS starter material.  The chances he's had have been mixed.  He might become a star in the CPL.

You Guys ????