Ricky Gomes

Zem

Goalkeeper from Kitchener, '93. Developed with Porto, left in 2010 and then bounced around a lot in Europe, played with (in chronological order) Gondomar (POR tier 3), Vitória de Guimarães (POR tier 1), Mirandela (POR tier 3), Uniao de Montemor (POR tier 3), MVV Maastricht (NED tier 2), Deportivo B (ESP tier 4) and AC Malveira (POR tier 3). He was never able to stick for more than a year with any club and never got any first-team playing time that I'm aware of.

Landed in Scotland with Arbroath (tier 4) last transfer window and has quickly secured himself the starting position there and has been pretty impressive. I'll post some recent match highlights below.

Regular for the U-20s and U-23s since 2012, but has only made one competitive appearance for Canada, a 2-0 loss to Peru at last year's Pan Am Games (U-23). He also took part in one senior team camp back in 2014.

This one's from yesterday's match, Arbroath are in black. I skipped forward to one of Gomes' big saves but Arbroath dominated the first ~60 minutes of the game, so skip to 11:08 after that and watch the rest. After Arbroath went up 2-0 they sat back too much and Gomes got pelted but made a bunch of good saves. They ended up drawing 2-2, but it was still an excellent game for him.

This one's from three weeks ago against Berwick Rangers, Arbroath are in burgundy. Subsequent highlights at 2:46 and 4:43

• 5 months later...

Arbroath just finished their season with a 1-1 draw, securing 1st place in Scottish League Two.

After taking over for the injured loan keeper Robbie Mutch at the beginning of October, Gomes won Man of the Match in his first start of the season and subsequently started every single league game for Arbroath for the rest of the season, totalling 28 league appearances plus 3 cup appearances.

Really great career turnaround for a player most thought would disappear into the aether à la Roberto Stillo when he wasn't able to find a stable contract anywhere after leaving Porto in 2010.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Looks like a very cool place to play football!DP00045417.jpg

Also the wiki page says that home and away fans switch ends at half! It's apparently and old tradition.

They do this a lot in lower league in England too. Some switch to stand behind where they're shooting others to be behind where they're defending

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

BT Sport did a documentary a few years back looking at smaller clubs across the UK and one of the clubs they featured was Arbroath. You can watch it below. They are first club featured. 

Thanks for sharing this! 

On June 12, 2017 at 7:26 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Looks like a very cool place to play football!DP00045417.jpg

Also the wiki page says that home and away fans switch ends at half! It's apparently and old tradition.

I've been told by someone who has attended a match at Arbroath that it can be unbelievably cold with humidity that can cut right through you. Also that it is entertaining when a ball gets drilled and ends up in the water.

On 2017-6-13 at 2:48 AM, Brethers8 said:

They do this a lot in lower league in England too. Some switch to stand behind where they're shooting others to be behind where they're defending

I have seen that in some matches in Spanish 4th tier, like at Barcelona-based clubs, where they stand behind the opposing keeper, and they switch at the half. In fact I do it at the stadium of Europa, small stadiums of course, a few thousand max. I have also seen where one home supporters group switches, and others usually on the side or corner do not, ending up with some opposing fans beside them for half a game, quite the mess.

And then, I've observed police contingents not letting these groups switch and  make them stay put, wonder why they do that.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

What's Ricky Gomes next move? Maybe a move to North America wouldn't hurt! Since he's been bouncing around from club to club I'm Europe

He signed a new a deal to stay at Arbroath last month

• 11 months later...

Has been released by Arbroath: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-league-1/658205/arbroath-boss-dick-campbell-signs-up-goalkeeper-darren-jamieson/

During his time with the Premiership club he made only one start and one substitute appearance and with the Gayfield men releasing David Hutton and Ricky Gomes the stage is set for Jamieson to secure a starting jersey.

• 6 months later...

He joined Olhanense in the Portuguese third division last summer. He's been serving as back-up so far and made his debut off the bench last week after their starter got injured.

I haven't been able to find a teamsheet or any news reports of Olhanense's match against Moura from this past weekend, so I'm not sure if their starter is still injured or if Ricky got the start in that game.

9 hours ago, Zem said:

He joined Olhanense in the Portuguese third division last summer. He's been serving as back-up so far and made his debut off the bench last week after their starter got injured.

I haven't been able to find a teamsheet or any news reports of Olhanense's match against Moura from this past weekend, so I'm not sure if their starter is still injured or if Ricky got the start in that game.

21 year old Senegalese goalkeeper Fall was between the sticks last weekend. His first game for them, maybe a new signing? Gomes is one of the guys I'd text CPL to if I had his number...

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Hey all, update on Ricky; i did a lengthy interview with him for NSXI about his career up to now.

https://www.northernstartingeleven.com/ricky-gomes-a-lesson-in-tenacity/

Nice job. 

However there's one slight nit to pick:  The big 3 in Portugal traditionally are Benfica, Porto and Sporting (not Braga).  However in recent years Braga have made a serious case for that group to be expanded and now be considered the big 4. 

6 hours ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Hey all, update on Ricky; i did a lengthy interview with him for NSXI about his career up to now.

https://www.northernstartingeleven.com/ricky-gomes-a-lesson-in-tenacity/

Also liked it. He's had some rough experiences, his career has been halted unexpectedly, and you get the feeling that with a bit of continuity he'll be in a higher division soon.

I went back and looked at the penalty shoot-out vs England, Ricardo is wearing gloves and then takes them off for the last penalty, stops it, scores the next. 

Archived