Camp Poutine 2017

shermanator

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having seen the highlights now, that 2nd Bermudan goal is all the more incredible for the pinpoint accuracy of the shot (aka) back pass - Straith scored it at a very tight angle!

I realize that Melvin is probably 7th or 8th on or goalkeeping depth chart at the moment, but I really hope for his sake that this isn't the last he plays for the national team. He must have been on the field a minute before he managed to let a slow dribbler of a back pass go under his foot and then injured himself trying to keep it out. And yet the first goal they scored perhaps was worse as there's about four Canadian players not marking the man in front of the goal - not sure what they were all doing on the play or why they were initially running out of the box when we never had possession of the ball.

Most of the goals we scored looked nice  though - including  good, deft touch on the Chapman header.

15 hours ago, One American said:

It's embarrassing that a soccer federation for a First World country first decides to schedule this game, then can't get it on television, or can't schedule an opponent that would attract television coverage, then decide to stream it on their site, then can't even do that right. 

The appearance that the CSA has been getting its act together in recent years is severely undermined at moments like these. 

Then everybody wonders why the best Canadian players want to play for someone else. 

I think as Canadians we've grown accustomed to these sorts of let downs. Made in Canada is becoming more superficial than substance. Just add the CSA product along side Canadian beer, Air Canada, and Justin Trudeau. All hype and pretty on the outside but empty and fluff on their delivery. 

That Bermuda goal is hilarious and captures a lot of what is wrong with our program. The fact that Straith would even back pass that is crazy. It looks like Melvin wasnt expecting a back pass and didn't see the ball until it was right in front of him? (straith was in the shaded area when he passed it so Melvin's vision may have been obscured)

Sooo I watched the Bermuda 2nd goal, over, and over again to see where you guys think that its Straith fault.....But can't see it...no matter how much I don't rate him. 

Melvin had moreee than enough time, he clearly just missed controlled it, resulting in the ball going under his foot ... And as we all know in this era of football, goalies have to have feet,.. be that sweeper keeper, and Melvin embarrassingly failed.

7 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Sooo I watched the Bermuda 2nd goal, over, and over again to see where you guys think that its Straith fault.....But can't see it...no matter how much I don't rate him. 

Melvin had moreee than enough time, he clearly just missed controlled it, resulting in the ball going under his foot ... And as we all know in this era of football, goalies have to have feet,.. be that sweeper keeper, and Melvin embarrassingly failed.

It's true. I was taught that as a rule, you make a back pass to the keeper on an angle away from goal, but this was just a nightmarish blunder on Melvin's part. I don't blame Straith here (even though I have blamed him for many other things) :)

Yeah, I'm surprised to see people blaming Straith for that goal. Clearly it's totally Melvin's fault.

I'm also surprised to see all the outrage over a keeper sub at halftime in a friendly without a 3rd option on the bench. It's a non-FIFA date friendly. I don't blame them for not wanting to waste a 3rd keeper's time that they didn't expect to play.

Other managers have had to throw an outfield player into goal before, and it will continue to happen in some rare occurences. Some of those managers have even had pretty good careers. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/manchester-utd-0-portsmouth-1-ferguson-fury-after-muntari-sends-united-crashing-out-793424.html

It's important to remember that we're Canadians and we should be playing our Canadian style. Therefore, when under some pressure, punting it into row Z or pounding it up the sideline for someone to chase is always the right play. Making a simple pass to an open player, keeper or no, is to be strongly discouraged. 

;)

1 hour ago, Moldy9 said:

Here found one: Straith gifts a ball to Honduras in the opening minutes WCQ in Vancouver. Seriously why is this guy playing let alone starting? Go to 1:02

Straith isn't good - I don't see anyone debating that. What some people are saying is that the pass to Melvin wasn't egregious. 

1 hour ago, Moldy9 said:

Here found one: Straith gifts a ball to Honduras in the opening minutes WCQ in Vancouver. Seriously why is this guy playing let alone starting? Go to 1:02

You're isolating one moment out of a game?  You know that I could easily find the exact same thing for literally every other player we have, right?  Jeezus Christ.  You don't think much of Straith.  Note taken.  Move the fuck on.

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

LOL...again I've stated I don't rate Straith.....but aggggaaaaaaainn this wasn't his fault.

Great first touch control, and then the pass to De Jong(?) in which he should've came to check to the ball...but didnt and easily got pinched. 

It wasn't the greatest decision to make that pass when he could have given it to Attakora but decided to hesitate instead. However, we wouldn't even be talking about it if Melvin hadn't made such an incredible blunder, clearly taking his eye off the ball which is something a keeper should never do particularly given that he had just come into the game a minute before so doesn't have the "I didn't have anything to do the whole game so I was asleep on the play" excuse that you sometimes see trotted out when the keeper plays an entire half but rarely touches the ball because his team is so dominant.

That said, I don't want to crucify the kid and this goal can be put down to a simply (if embarrassing) individual error. The first goal we gave up bothers me a lot more and should bother anyone who thinks Findley should be an option as the full-time coach (not sure if there is anyone who does think that, just saying) - pause the video above at the six second mark when the Bermudan player picks up the ball from the header. He's got about three unmarked teammates in the box he could pass to while no less than five Canadians in the area aren't marking anyone. That is a brutal team defensive play and doesn't exactly scream out that the team was well-drilled and organized. Which against a team like Bermuda is all you are really looking from the coach to instill in the team (as well as a decent enough effort), since a victory should flow from having the better players.

22 hours ago, El Hombre said:

You're isolating one moment out of a game?  You know that I could easily find the exact same thing for literally every other player we have, right?  Jeezus Christ.  You don't think much of Straith.  Note taken.  Move the fuck on.

Wow someone is hitting their cycle. Who are you his mom? The guy is a defensive liability. Doesn't belong on the international stage. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch. 

Archived