Camp Poutine 2017

shermanator

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we used three keepers and the only one who kept a clean sheet is Adam Straith, who isn't a keeper, and technically is the one who spoiled Melvin's clean sheet (although livescore credited the 2nd Bermudan goal to a Bermudan).

Only in Canada you say......

Nice as it was for three Canadian players to get their first goals for Canada, the events of this game tell us more about Findley than they do about any of the players.

We'll take the 4-2 victory and the +11 points it will add to our ranking (according to the FIFA ranking prognosis tool).

Bermuda hasn't earned a single ranking point for 3 of the last 4 years, so I'm glad the end result was a win for us.

12 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Tissot came on according to Gavin Day.

Are you down in Bermuda, or did you talk to him?  It's not on his Twitter feed.  I speculated that it should have been Tissot, but I have no idea, nor do any of us who aren't there.  Even the Canada Soccer website doesn't show Tissot playing any minutes, but then again it doesn't list Melvin coming off either.  (My mistake -- yes it does).

1 minute ago, shorty said:

Are you down in Bermuda, or did you talk to him?  It's not on his Twitter feed.  I speculated that it should have been Tissot, but I have no idea, nor do any of us who aren't there.  Even the Canada Soccer website doesn't show Tissot playing any minutes, but then again it doesn't list Melvin coming off either.  (My mistake -- yes it does).

Have you checked his replies? 

The overreaction to the technical issues in this thread is embarrassing. I don't think having the CSA putting big money into their video production of a free live stream for a match against a minnow is exactly a priority.

Put away the razor blades folks, and let's look at the positives.

1. Still got a win. An expected result, but still....

2. Ricketts climbs up the goal scoring chart into a tie with Gerba for 5th place.

3. Osorio, Chapman and Jackson-Hamel got their first goals for the senior team. Chapman's in his debut.

4. We discovered some unexpected keeper depth. Guess FC Edmonton found their new starting keeper!

59 minutes ago, shermanator said:

The overreaction to the technical issues in this thread is embarrassing. I don't think having the CSA putting big money into their video production of a free live stream for a match against a minnow is exactly a priority.

Put away the razor blades folks, and let's look at the positives.

1. Still got a win. An expected result, but still....

2. Ricketts climbs up the goal scoring chart into a tie with Gerba for 5th place.

3. Osorio, Chapman and Jackson-Hamel got their first goals for the senior team. Chapman's in his debut.

4. We discovered some unexpected keeper depth. Guess FC Edmonton found their new starting keeper!

Hear, hear! I know collectively we whine a lot but cripes!

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I should note that mine was meant to be tongue-in-cheek...

It's embarrassing that a soccer federation for a First World country first decides to schedule this game, then can't get it on television, or can't schedule an opponent that would attract television coverage, then decide to stream it on their site, then can't even do that right. 

The appearance that the CSA has been getting its act together in recent years is severely undermined at moments like these. 

Then everybody wonders why the best Canadian players want to play for someone else. 

27 minutes ago, One American said:

It's embarrassing that a soccer federation for a First World country first decides to schedule this game, then can't get it on television, or can't schedule an opponent that would attract television coverage, then decide to stream it on their site, then can't even do that right. 

The appearance that the CSA has been getting its act together in recent years is severely undermined at moments like these. 

Then everybody wonders why the best Canadian players want to play for someone else. 

It was frustrating not to get a stream for this when it was promoted but there are technical challenges sometimes beyond the CSA's control! As for the opponent, it's a friendly for our B team vs a CONCACAF nation in a non FIFA date, I'm OK with that, if that scares players away to other nations maybe they really didn't want to play for Canada anyway! 

34 minutes ago, One American said:

Face the realities of the game in this country. From a footballing perspective, Canada is closer to being the minnow than they are to being the first world country. A lack of infrastructure, coaches with the proper education at each phase of the game, and places for those who actually have the talent to play pro contribute much more. That's why we can't attract quality players. Not having a live stream for the few hundred of us actually interested in watching the game is the least of the CSA's problems.

If you want to watch a quality opponent completely humiliate our national team on national television, be my guest. But that doesn't benefit our national team, nor does it give the national team a bigger set of supporters, nor does it prevent those players who never wanted to play for Canada in the first place from jumping ship. And it sure as hell wasn't enjoyable to watch when it happened twice in 4 days in March....

Archived