When Will Canada Surpass the USA?

Mister215Guy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The year is 2034, 12 years after the assassination of Donald J. Trump sparked a devastating civil war in the former United States. As water levels rose in the fallout of climate change and the Midwest slowly turned into a desert, a voice was heard among those living in the no longer freezing wastes of the north 

"Hey, we made the Hex!"

That and because Canadians will no longer be able to play hockey outside with the disappearance of the winter season. 

I said after 20 years too, meaning after 40-50 years to be more precise.  By then we will likely hit a golden generation and then fall back down again. USA will trump us (no pun intended) most of the time. They just have a bigger pool to take from. 

Based on the current climate never. Like @Fullback said we have way less academies and domestic opportunities at a top level for our players to play at. Maybe we get lucky at some point and produce a really good crop of players and a player or two who's a real game changer that will close the gap. More realistic for us in the next 4-8 years to find a way to close the gap on other CONCACAF teams like Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica etc...

On 11/11/2016 at 8:15 PM, Mister215Guy said:

If you have noticed the US team the last 2 years, they're from mediocre to absolutely horrible. The US is not the 2nd best team in Concacaf nor they are future World Cup contenders. And after watching them lose to Mexico AT HOME to open the Hex, it's VERY LIKELY the US won't qualify for Russia this time. Considering neither the national team nor MLS has improved in 20 years, it's about time to write them off as irrelevant just like pre-1990.

Canada, however has been improving quickly and potential talents like Cyle Larin, Alphonso Davies, etc. will really take us to the next level. In the future it should be Mexico, CRC, and Canada dominating Concacaf. If Canada keeps the program going and launches CPL, I can see us surpassing the US easily. The question is WHEN, not IF because it will happen if things are planned well.

What a ridiculous poll! You don't even have the option "we are already better than the US". Geez, how do you expect to be taken seriously as a troll if you can't even get the basics right. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I watched the Mexico / US match last week and was shocked at how good Wood and especially Pulisic look. We are way behind the US and shouldn't even think about getting to that level anytime soon. We need to concern ourselves with Honduras and Panama first 

Two guys that left for Germany in their teenage years? It would be one thing if they were developing players like Pulisic at a consistent level, but it's not anywhere close to that. That's like me pointing out Davies during an MLS match and saying "we're way a head of the US..." 

Like a poster previously mentioned, once the CPL gets up and running, the gap will eventually close. Afterwards, it will depend on which country has the better development system underneath it's pro leagues. If the US continues to struggle drawing its top athletes, if their players still opt for college over pro contracts, if they continue to foster the same soft environment they have now, we'll definitely jump a head.

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Two guys that left for Germany in their teenage years? It would be one thing if they were developing players like Pulisic at a consistent level, but it's not anywhere close to that. That's like me pointing out Davies during an MLS match and saying "we're way a head of the US..." 

Like a poster previously mentioned, once the CPL gets up and running, the gap will ecentually close. Afterwards, it will depend on which country has the better development system underneath it's pro leagues. If the US continues to struggle drawing its top athletes, if their players still opt for college over pro contracts, if they continue to foster the same soft environment they have now, we'll definitely jump a head.

Of course they're not developing players like Pulisic at a consistent level. But we never have. And Davies is a long, long way off from being a comparable prospect. Pulisic is scoring goals in a good B1 team as a 17/18 year old.

they just have a lot of young talent that we can't even sniff. Cameron Carter Vickers, Miazga, etc. Don't matter where they were born or train, they're playing for the US.

the US is closer to Mexico than we are to the US. Let's not kid ourselves.

I think it's realistic to believe that we can narrow the gap with the USA AFTER our pyramid is sorted out and that quality coaching and program is available at every level.

Surpass them? Not impossible at all. They have had the head start and did a remarkable job with their program. That being said, we have athletes just as gifted as they do. An improvement of our national program at every level would allow us to catch up, that I believe. Surpassing them? I'd say a generation only if our program stays topnotch and their falters at some point.

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Of course they're not developing players like Pulisic at a consistent level. But we never have. And Davies is a long, long way off from being a comparable prospect. Pulisic is scoring goals in a good B1 team as a 17/18 year old.

they just have a lot of young talent that we can't even sniff. Cameron Carter Vickers, Miazga, etc. Don't matter where they were born or train, they're playing for the US.

the US is closer to Mexico than we are to the US. Let's not kid ourselves.

Relying on guys born in Europe with an American parent is no way to consistently develop players. That's what this is about, player development.

Also, I know the US is closer to Mexico than we are to the US. That's not the debate here. We're debating the future and based on what I said previously, I can see us catching up and surpassing them in the future once the CPL is up and running.

40 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Two guys that left for Germany in their teenage years? It would be one thing if they were developing players like Pulisic at a consistent level, but it's not anywhere close to that.

Pulisic left to join B. Dortmund just shy of his 17th bday and broke into the first team less than a year later. He's a homegrown product.

15 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Also, I know the US is closer to Mexico than we are to the US. That's not the debate here. We're debating the future and based on what I said previously, I can see us catching up and surpassing them in the future once the CPL is up and running.

I guess I don't understand why people think the CPL will bridge the gap. CPL will help bridge the gap against Panama, Honduras, Jamaica etc. Not the US. The US already has a domestic league that is far superior to what the CPL will be.

Also, Pulisic and Wood were both largely developed in the US. Pulisic moved to Germany as a 16 year old and Wood as a 15 year old. Not like they moved there as children.

21 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I guess I don't understand why people think the CPL will bridge the gap. CPL will help bridge the gap against Panama, Honduras, Jamaica etc. Not the US. The US already has a domestic league that is far superior to what the CPL will be.

Also, Pulisic and Wood were both largely developed in the US. Pulisic moved to Germany as a 16 year old and Wood as a 15 year old. Not like they moved there as children.

I said the league will eventually make us catch up, and after that, it will depend on youth development. As for MLS being far superior, on the outset maybe. The cap won't be that far apart and considering MLS is growing at a Snail's pace, who knows what will happen.

39 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The US already has a domestic league that is far superior to what the CPL will be.

At start, it will be...but CPL will narrow the gap overtime. I think you`re overestimating MLS a little bit. Strip them of their DP and an MLS game quickly becomes brutal to watch

USA Suffers 4-0 World Cup Qualifying Defeat Away to Costa Rica

MNT Ends 2016 with 12-6-1 Record

MNT Nov 15, 2016

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (Nov. 15, 2016) – The U.S. Men’s National Team battled through a physical and feisty match but ultimately succumbed to a 4-0 defeat to Costa Rica in its first away qualifier of the Final Round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.

Full Article >>

16 minutes ago, ted said:

USA Suffers 4-0 World Cup Qualifying Defeat Away to Costa Rica

MNT Ends 2016 with 12-6-1 Record

MNT Nov 15, 2016

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (Nov. 15, 2016) – The U.S. Men’s National Team battled through a physical and feisty match but ultimately succumbed to a 4-0 defeat to Costa Rica in its first away qualifier of the Final Round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.

Full Article >>

They might miss Russia at this rate.

Well for starters, let's not compare ourselves to the US in Soccer. They suck. Not the women's team, just the men. Let's compare ourselves to a nation we would like to be like as far as Soccer goes. Germany? Brazil (Seems to high off a bar), France?

That said, Soccer in Canada is popular then ever but it's still not 'the' sport. I feel it's still Hockey, Baseball followed by Basketball. When people show interest, we will naturally get better (More interest, more funding, more training camps, etc). 

19 minutes ago, Tukthatice said:

Well for starters, let's not compare ourselves to the US in Soccer. They suck. Not the women's team, just the men. Let's compare ourselves to a nation we would like to be like as far as Soccer goes. Germany? Brazil (Seems to high off a bar), France?

That said, Soccer in Canada is popular then ever but it's still not 'the' sport. I feel it's still Hockey, Baseball followed by Basketball. When people show interest, we will naturally get better (More interest, more funding, more training camps, etc). 

Well, probably not those nations. However, aspiring to the level of the smaller successful European nations like Portugal, Netherlands and Belgium is something our country can strive for. The reason being Hockey is still our most popular sports and it takes a significant number of top athletes which should leave us with numbers closer to the aforementioned countries.

Archived