Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mister215Guy

When Will Canada Surpass the USA?

Recommended Posts

If you have noticed the US team the last 2 years, they're from mediocre to absolutely horrible. The US is not the 2nd best team in Concacaf nor they are future World Cup contenders. And after watching them lose to Mexico AT HOME to open the Hex, it's VERY LIKELY the US won't qualify for Russia this time. Considering neither the national team nor MLS has improved in 20 years, it's about time to write them off as irrelevant just like pre-1990.

Canada, however has been improving quickly and potential talents like Cyle Larin, Alphonso Davies, etc. will really take us to the next level. In the future it should be Mexico, CRC, and Canada dominating Concacaf. If Canada keeps the program going and launches CPL, I can see us surpassing the US easily. The question is WHEN, not IF because it will happen if things are planned well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't want to say never because I guess theoretically it could happen. 

It is essentially the same as asking when Wrexham will surpass Spurs.

They are so far ahead in terms of funding, infrastructure and support. Even if the main team regressed the rest of set up would still be kick our ass. 

It's not impossible to close gap but it will take a huge amount of time and things that prohibit that like the mls domestic player rule that need changing.

If we threw all the money we had at it and got the breaks maybe 10 years. But that is hugely generous and bound to a fools hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The further we professionalize, we'll get closer to this goal. 10-20 years with the CPL or the aggressive expansion of NASL/USL. The United States of America's men's national team are full of soft college boys who get run over when push comes to shove. We only have a hand full of professional clubs and we already have young guys like Raheem Edwards, Malik Johnson and Alfonso Davies who are much hungrier and more driven than their US counterparts who are also coming up. The more we professionalize, we'll get even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I didn't want to say never because I guess theoretically it could happen. 

It is essentially the same as asking when Wrexham will surpass Spurs.

They are so far ahead in terms of funding, infrastructure and support. Even if the main team regressed the rest of set up would still be kick our ass. 

It's not impossible to close gap but it will take a huge amount of time and things that prohibit that like the mls domestic player rule that need changing.

If we threw all the money we had at it and got the breaks maybe 10 years. But that is hugely generous and bound to a fools hope.

They're a head when it comes to those things, but when it comes to actual player development, they're only marginally better. The USA were a head of Belgium back 10 years ago. However, now, it's the complete opposite, it's not even close. We make a few changes here and there, and it can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not trying to troll or antagonize anyone but we all know the US is not a top team. They're not even a Concacaf power now and will continue to rapidly decline if they don't overhaul the USSF. Canada should easily pass them and our goal should be Mexico and Costa Rica, not the USA who are worse than Panama and Honduras now. Besides the fluke Copa wins, the US can't beat a top 50 FIFA ranked team in the last 2 years. You can tell in the MLS young Canadian players are much better than young American ones and besides Pulisic who's an island by himself Canada has better future talent than the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Mister215Guy said:

I'm not trying to troll or antagonize anyone but we all know the US is not a top team. They're not even a Concacaf power now and will continue to rapidly decline if they don't overhaul the USSF. Canada should easily pass them and our goal should be Mexico and Costa Rica, not the USA who are worse than Panama and Honduras now. Besides the fluke Copa wins, the US can't beat a top 50 FIFA ranked team in the last 2 years. You can tell in the MLS young Canadian players are much better than young American ones and besides Pulisic who's an island by himself Canada has better future talent than the US.

I already told you 42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

I'm not trying to troll or antagonize anyone but we all know the US is not a top team. They're not even a Concacaf power now and will continue to rapidly decline if they don't overhaul the USSF. Canada should easily pass them and our goal should be Mexico and Costa Rica, not the USA who are worse than Panama and Honduras now. Besides the fluke Copa wins, the US can't beat a top 50 FIFA ranked team in the last 2 years. You can tell in the MLS young Canadian players are much better than young American ones and besides Pulisic who's an island by himself Canada has better future talent than the US.

You know, there's a really fun story about the time when we were worse than Honduras...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try looking at Australia. Similar country, soccer isn't #1 sport, and they have vastly improved since qualifying for 2006 World Cup. The A-League has surpassed MLS despite starting 10 years later and while the US is slipping further relative to Concacaf Australia is dominating Asia now. Also the A-League has been much more successful in sending players to Europe than MLS, which has sent a bunch of benchwarmers and throw-away players.

You agree that Australia is better than the US, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister215Guy said:

Try looking at Australia. Similar country, soccer isn't #1 sport, and they have vastly improved since qualifying for 2006 World Cup. The A-League has surpassed MLS despite starting 10 years later and while the US is slipping further relative to Concacaf Australia is dominating Asia now. Also the A-League has been much more successful in sending players to Europe than MLS, which has sent a bunch of benchwarmers and throw-away players.

You agree that Australia is better than the US, right?

HahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhaahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahhhahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahgahahhahhahahahahahhahagahahahahahhahahahahhahHaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kent said:

I voted after 20 years, just because I try to avoid saying never. My initial thought before seeing the options was 50 years if we do everything right and USA really trips up.

The year is 2034, 12 years after the assassination of Donald J. Trump sparked a devastating civil war in the former United States. As water levels rose in the fallout of climate change and the Midwest slowly turned into a desert, a voice was heard among those living in the no longer freezing wastes of the north 

"Hey, we made the Hex!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

The year is 2034, 12 years after the assassination of Donald J. Trump sparked a devastating civil war in the former United States. As water levels rose in the fallout of climate change and the Midwest slowly turned into a desert, a voice was heard among those living in the no longer freezing wastes of the north 

"Hey, we made the Hex!"

 

I thought of the doomsday scenario for USA, but figured even if tragedy would leave their people penniless and one way or another they lost 100 million people, they would still have over 200 million people, and they would be desperate for their ticket out and looking for a chance to make big money. With the country in shambles, NFL and NBA are no longer an answer. It's pro soccer, just like the slums in Brazil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I thought of the doomsday scenario for USA, but figured even if tragedy would leave their people penniless and one way or another they lost 100 million people, they would still have over 200 million people, and they would be desperate for their ticket out and looking for a chance to make big money. With the country in shambles, NFL and NBA are no longer an answer. It's pro soccer, just like the slums in Brazil.

As much as my post was a joke, that is a valid point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The year is 2034, 12 years after the assassination of Donald J. Trump sparked a devastating civil war in the former United States

This message has been flagged by the NSA and the CIA...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...