Supporters United for the CanPL

Admin

Would have thought that the Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton are the most likely in that regard for 7 and 8 and that they probably very much need Halifax on board to get to six for a launch given how few viable options there are if five of the six markets with over 1 million people are not participating at the beginning due to having teams in MLS, the NASL or USL.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea Blizzard im not sure why Halifax is being tossed around at #7 or 8. We have a solid management team in place and they have been drumming up excitement in the local media for a 2018 soccer club. The work on the  field is set to be complete September 1 (1000$ penalty for each day they are late) in order to give SEA time to pop up some stadium. 

Considering Halifax is juts one of 2 markets with an active management promoting the teams and working on infrastructure, an active supporter group, a known and proven management team and are on the record saying their goal is to be there for launch. 

Always makes me a little bewildered how that would make them a likely #7 considering outside Hamilton we dont have even the faintest idea who #2-#6 will be or where they will plat ect.....

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

...If the CFL is really owning the league...

Is there any solid evidence for this? Even Duane Rollins only pointed to four CFL owners in that sort of regard in a recent podcast (Hamilton, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Calgary) with a more recent tweet casting down on what Ottawa are up to. The complete silence in Winnipeg and Calgary despite the presence of active fan groups also raises questions, if they are serious about a 2018 launch.

On 2017/02/24 at 4:54 AM, rob.notenboom said:

That's my understanding as well. If the CFL is really owning the league,...

If that's true the Toronto Argonauts would presumably be in the loop on that? Given they are owned by Larry Tannenbaum and Bell Canada it doesn't make sense that Bill Manning would say the following:

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/24/14726656/bill-manning-canadian-premier-league-cpl-toronto-fc-mls-news

“You hear that they want to be top of the food chain with MLS and then you hear that they want to be developmental - if that’s the case, we have that product for them called TFC II. I’m fine with not calling it TFC II, but that’s why some of those comments came off as strong because we’re still in the dark as much as a lot of people.”

when Larry Tannenbaum and Bell Canada are also part of the MLSE I/O group for TFC along with Rogers Cable, if the CFL are doing something collectively where soccer is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/02/2017 at 2:46 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Is there any solid evidence for this? Even Duane Rollins only pointed to four CFL owners in that sort of regard in a recent podcast (Hamilton, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Calgary) with a more recent tweet casting down on what Ottawa are up to. The complete silence in Winnipeg and Calgary despite the presence of active fan groups also raises questions, if they are serious about a 2018 launch.

Assuming that y'all have probably seen this already, but Gill was pretty open that it was a CFL group that would collectively own the league. https://grandriverunion.com/2017/03/24/gru-meets-with-gill-heidary-and-jeff-hughes-from-kw-united/amp/

On 2/25/2017 at 7:58 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If that's true the Toronto Argonauts would presumably be in the loop on that? Given they are owned by Larry Tannenbaum and Bell Canada it doesn't make sense that Bill Manning would say the following:

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/24/14726656/bill-manning-canadian-premier-league-cpl-toronto-fc-mls-news

“You hear that they want to be top of the food chain with MLS and then you hear that they want to be developmental - if that’s the case, we have that product for them called TFC II. I’m fine with not calling it TFC II, but that’s why some of those comments came off as strong because we’re still in the dark as much as a lot of people.”

when Larry Tannenbaum and Bell Canada are also part of the MLSE I/O group for TFC along with Rogers Cable, if the CFL are doing something collectively where soccer is concerned.

I would think, the opposite. The Argos are still owned by two memebers of MLSE, and it's very clear that the CPL isn't interested in courting MLSE to start a team in their league, because they've made it very clear that they refuse to be a farm league. I can completely see CPL owners not sharing too many details with MLSE given that circumstance. Besides, they have enough to deal with as far as trying to turn the Argos around.

I also think we need to put an end to the CFL owners all being the primary owners and look more on the NHL and independant ownership groups. Mainly because, it is currently infeasible for every CFL owner to have/buy a team.

Three CFL teams are under community ownership. Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. This means it is VERY hard to justify those groups buying into the CPL, knowing the expectation is to lose money for the first 5 to 10 years. I'm not saying it's impossible, as those three are also some of the most profitable, but it's a big hurdle. Then you have BC with David Braley. He is in the process of selling the Lions as we speak because he realizes he's getting older and wants the team left in good hands. There is no way he's getting invovled, nevermind being right next to the Whitecaps. Then you have Montreal and Whenthall, who is by all accounts a Football enthusist from Wisconsin and runs the Als as a break even operation. I doubt he'll step up to the plate.

Sure, you have Hamilton and Young who seems right and ready, you have Ottawa and Hunt who has a team, he just needs to jump ship and you have CSE who such an enterprise would be pocket change to them and by any stretch would be worth it, if it will help draw a world cup and the stadium infastructure that could go with it. However, when looking at other markets, we should be looking at other groups, like say True North, Katz, SEA, Queen City Sports and Entertainment and even potential foreign clubs.

17 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

...Three CFL teams are under community ownership. Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. This means it is VERY hard to justify those groups buying into the CPL, knowing the expectation is to lose money for the first 5 to 10 years...

That's the way it looks to me as well, because how do you go about explaining the help provided to a rival sport to hardcore CFL only fans that can point to what soccer has done to grassroots participation numbers in their own sport as a possible existential threat and how do you keep an internal discussion on something like that under wraps when you have a community ownership model?

It's only really Calgary where a yet to be announced CFL ownership group involvement in soccer looks somewhat credible to me and even there things got very quiet in terms of rumours and mainstream media mentions after the CalgaryNext project fell through (the possible advantages of being a WC2026 host city in that regard are obvious). At one point we were being told that NASL teams might start up in Calgary and Hamilton in 2015 in anticipation of the new league. In the absence of a strong CFL involvement things can go two ways on this. The first is to chase deep pocketed sports entertainment groups for a high budget approach as you are suggesting and it appears to be what the Hamilton and Halifax groups probably favour judging by the crowd expectations that get mentioned (obvious problem is that we already know that it isn't on the radar for Katz in an Edmonton context, but it's not inconceivable things are different elsewhere), while the second is to downsize things a bit and partner up with the various past and former PDL owners.

Is there any evidence for the latter approach? We know Shermanator has posted on here about a possible Foothills angle being mentioned at a soccer meeting he was at, there appears to have been a recent podcast mention of contact with the new TSS PDL team in Vancouver, we know K/W United officials have told the fan group there that they are potentially interested if crowds increase this summer, there was a rumour on here of FC London partnering with TFC II over a CPL entry, and even Duane Rollins who has been the main proponent of the CFL angle has floated the notion of Foothills and WSA being the technical team involved in Calgary and Winnipeg. Beyond that it also provides an obvious explanation for how 12 or more markets would have been in contact with the CSA about the new league.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Beyond that it also provides an obvious explanation for how 12 or more markets would have been in contact with the CSA about the new league.

Part of me wonders whether that includes people like the Vaughan City SC supporters group account on twitter saying that they want a team.  It would be a shitty thing to do, but I'm not entirely convinced that we're not seeing some Bill Petersen -level shenanigans here.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Don't see that happening. UofT doesn't want tenants besides their own teams.

Yeah, and even then they don't appear to invest heavily into it. I know their Football program has been a complete joke for nearly three decades.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 25/06/2017 at 5:36 PM, DannyFromToronto23 said:

possible venue ? 

FUCK NO. It is possibly the single worst location for a pro sports team in the city of Toronto. Street noise could over power stadium with ease not to mention the amount of foot and bike traffic in the area.

• 6 months later...

Archived