Supporters United for the CanPL

Admin

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

In that blog post on the Batallion meet up Beirne attended he mentioned wanting 30-40 teams.  I'd imagine that would be long, long term though.

I honestly think he meant very generally at some point.  Aka 50-60 years perhaps lol

Good to see he's shooting for the moon though.  i like that.

There are more soccer fans here than there used to be, and more than people think there are.  The problem isn't a lack of fans, its the lack of an authentic product.  

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Isn't he doing one for Dildo, Newfoundland? You'd only need minor modifications 

1 hour ago, SuperCanuck said:

I haven't seen Guillermo's official Dickhead Brigade t-shirt design.  Is it in another thread?  

lol this sounds like a fun project, when do we start?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago on the podcast we did a big round table in a pub in Toronto. One of the questions was 'By 20?? how many professional soccer teams will be playing in Canada?' 

Can't recall the details or even if the answers ended up on the cutting room floor. But when CanPL launches I should go back and see who was closest. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For whatever reason, my shirt never arrived.  I got shipping notice around 10 days ago, and the address was right, but it didn't show up in the mailbox.  The time of year might've delayed it - hopefully it turns up.

You aren't the only one still waiting. I'd give it until New Years before really wondering about it.

Not really sure where this belongs so thought i'd post it a few places.  

Was just thinking about scarves and such.  Not everyone likes wearing a scarf, but u know what everyone in this country needs?  A toque.

Don't get me wrong I still think we should do scarves but I think we'd sell a metric fuckton of toques especially in certain locales.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I killed my heatpress.

Well, the temperature controller at least.  It should be at 305, and keeps jumping up to 465.   I thought I was being clever by letting it cool and then quickly pressing a shirt while it was in the right range. Turns out this was way off, and throwing those shirts out.  I did a wash test and it didn't work well.

Getting it fixed tomorrow. 

Sorry for the delays. 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, ted said:

OK, so I'll try not to take it personally that the Lake Side Buoys were not invited to participate in the conference call referenced in this article: Paul Beirne & CanPL Supporters talk Canada’s Soccer Future

Sounds like it was a good chance to build a relationship with the league.

The Foot Soldiers were not either. And funny enough, I actually write for Northern Starting XI....

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

The Foot Soldiers were not either. And funny enough, I actually write for Northern Starting XI....

@ted & @shermanator: Definitely don't take it personally. I'm the editor at NSXI, and I didn't know it had happened until @Nathanael Martin was finished writing up the article. From what he has mentioned, they planned to keep it small to begin with in order to prevent the conference call from getting too chaotic. To me, it seems like they pretty much just went off one person's quick-contact list. From what I gather, there will be more of these calls and they will be expanding those involved.

Pure speculation:

From the content of article, it also seems this was meant as an encouraging call for those starting groups unconnected to any existing local team. Yes, GRU could support K-W, but Forsyth's Machine does that and GRU is meant to be specific for CPL. Both the Lake Side Buoys & Footsoldiers are pretty well established, so the extra push probably isn't as necessary.

I'm honestly not trying to backtrack here so be easy on me. :)

I had thought about including more groups (Victoria, Calgary, Ottawa) but the idea was floated that we keep it to just the startups and so we stuck with that. 

But if and when the league is announced and we have a better idea who the 6 or 8 are then we need to include everyone for certain. In fact, a much broader supporters coalition or some such is an idea for the future. 

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Pure speculation:

From the content of article, it also seems this was meant as an encouraging call for those starting groups unconnected to any existing local team. Yes, GRU could support K-W, but Forsyth's Machine does that and GRU is meant to be specific for CPL. Both the Lake Side Buoys & Footsoldiers are pretty well established, so the extra push probably isn't as necessary.

pretty much hit the nail on the head i think

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

I'm honestly not trying to backtrack here so be easy on me. :)

I had thought about including more groups (Victoria, Calgary, Ottawa) but the idea was floated that we keep it to just the startups and so we stuck with that. 

But if and when the league is announced and we have a better idea who the 6 or 8 are then we need to include everyone for certain. In fact, a much broader supporters coalition or some such is an idea for the future. 

Also, Paul Beirne's appearance was a surprise to virtually all of us. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Did Paul lead on to which of the 6 to 8 cities were talking about?  Complete speculation on my part but I have suspected when I hear that that KW and Halifax are team 7 and 8 respectively.

No he didn't. And he was quite up front right off the bat saying that there were a lot of questions that he simply couldn't answer. And trust me, we asked. 

However, I agree with you that KW and Halifax seem most likely to be 7 and 8. No real confirmation on that though.

Archived