Discrepancy in ticket prices between Impact and TFC

Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

It's not though. Checked a few different sites. Cheapest Impact tickets are $19 and most expensive $92. Compare that to TFC where the cheapest I could find is $57 and most expensive going $200 plus.

Are you talking about ticketmaster or reseller sites?

19 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I checked a few, vivid seats, ticket now, stub hub.

Well that's not the club's doing, that's scalpers pricing the tickets at what they think they can get. Montreal couldn't even sell out their game, that's why their prices are so low.

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

. Montreal couldn't even sell out their game, that's why their prices are so low.

Correct.  Its nothing more thn the basic economics of supply and demand.  Soccer clubs (like any pro club) are not charities hence pricing is not, never was and never will be about benevolence.    The right price is what people will pay for something and maximizing revenues for the seller.   Doesnt matter if its for tickets to a soccer game, the theater, the cost of housing, a loaf of bread or a haircut.  

As to why the price of tickets are higher in Toronto than Montreal, this pretty consistent with all pro sports clubs and events.  The factors that affect demand are different in the two towns.  The reason they are differnent can be found in the volumes of economic and demographic indicators that one could easily dig up at the Stats Can pages.  At the risk of turning this post into an essay, there is no sence trying to rehash them. 

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

Correct.  Its nothing more thn the basic economics of supply and demand.  Soccer clubs (like any pro club) are not charities hence pricing is not, never was and never will be about benevolence.    The right price is what people will pay for something and maximizing revenues for the seller.   Doesnt matter if its for tickets to a soccer game, the theater, the cost of housing, a loaf of bread or a haircut.  

As to why the price of tickets are higher in Toronto than Montreal, this pretty consistent with all pro sports clubs and events.  The factors that affect demand are different in the two towns.  The reason they are differnent can be found in the volumes of economic and demographic indicators that one could easily dig up at the Stats Can pages.  At the risk of turning this post into an essay, there is no sence trying to rehash them. 

I already know the underlying theory thank you very much. I was just hoping it would bite them in the ass. It didn't.

When it comes to the bolded, that isn't necessarily the case, especially  when it comes to clubs that are member owned like those in the Bundesliga, where prices are determined by the supporters, who price them no more than movie theatre tickets. We are ripe for a club in that mold.

Indeed, soccer clubs are businesses and affected by supply and demand. The exception does seem to be the Bundesliga. I'm not sure if supporters determine prices as I've read it's the league itself that mandates (too strong a word?) that ticket prices be affordable. I recall several years ago thinking our pretty good tickets for a Bayern Munchen match were low compared to a Lazio match in Rome where our tickets weren't as good. And certainly the Bayern tickets were less than we'd pay for CFL, NHL, etc. And then there was the beer. Good, Bavarian draft beer in stackable plastic beer steins allowing one to carry four full beers with one hand (as they stacked with their hollow handles) and paying less than charged in Canada.

38 minutes ago, RickC said:

Indeed, soccer clubs are businesses and affected by supply and demand. The exception does seem to be the Bundesliga. I'm not sure if supporters determine prices as I've read it's the league itself that mandates (too strong a word?) that ticket prices be affordable. I recall several years ago thinking our pretty good tickets for a Bayern Munchen match were low compared to a Lazio match in Rome where our tickets weren't as good. And certainly the Bayern tickets were less than we'd pay for CFL, NHL, etc. And then there was the beer. Good, Bavarian draft beer in stackable plastic beer steins allowing one to carry four full beers with one hand (as they stacked with their hollow handles) and paying less than charged in Canada.

I for one think the Bundesliga should be the standard for all sports leagues. That way, there is always a vested community interest by the team and conversely, the community in turn realizes that benefiting the team benefits them. It also completely eliminates the relocation threat that so many franchises spout out when they want public funds. That said,it also lets private enterprise deal with a lot of management, ownership and making money. Basically the big items the fans control, the nitty, gritty the private sector can handle.

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

I for one think the Bundesliga should be the standard for all sports leagues. That way, there is always a vested community interest by the team and conversely, the community in turn realizes that benefiting the team benefits them. It also completely eliminates the relocation threat that so many franchises spout out when they want public funds. That said,it also lets private enterprise deal with a lot of management, ownership and making money. Basically the big items the fans control, the nitty, gritty the private sector can handle.

QFT x 100000000000000

6 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Well, as long as there is a good source of income, IE a stable TV deal and other sponsorships. 

9 hours ago, Macksam said:

I already know the underlying theory thank you very much. I was just hoping it would bite them in the ass. It didn't.

When it comes to the bolded, that isn't necessarily the case, especially  when it comes to clubs that are member owned like those in the Bundesliga, where prices are determined by the supporters, who price them no more than movie theatre tickets. We are ripe for a club in that mold.

You can look at that in many different ways. Suppose that they do that and mandate the price to something like a movie ticket.  Demand goes through the roof and (given that the seating capacity - supply- is fixed) now you have a shortage of tickets.  So instead of being priced out, you are now shut out from the ability to go see the game because of the shortage or becasue you are not a Season ticket holder.  The same will apply to season tickets, if you fix the price below equilibrium, you could be waiting for years in the queue to get tickets and no one as a SST holder will want to given them up for fear of being shut out from getting future tickets for even single matches.   This effect occurred in year one. 

Also, suppose they do as you suggest and go to what could be viewed as quasi community ownership where SST holders are akin to members.  Wouldnt that makes somewhat of a closed private club?  And hence shut out the general public in that way from going to games?  There are many people who maybe want to attend one game a year and thye might have a harder time. 

Overall, i am not disgreeing without you. I am not arguing for higher prices.  Just presenting a justifiable rebuttal based on proven theory. 

On October 31, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Free kick said:

You can look at that in many different ways. Suppose that they do that and mandate the price to something like a movie ticket.  Demand goes through the roof and (given that the seating capacity - supply- is fixed) now you have a shortage of tickets.  So instead of being priced out, you are now shut out from the ability to go see the game because of the shortage or becasue you are not a Season ticket holder.  The same will apply to season tickets, if you fix the price below equilibrium, you could be waiting for years in the queue to get tickets and no one as a SST holder will want to given them up for fear of being shut out from getting future tickets for even single matches.   This effect occurred in year one. 

Also, suppose they do as you suggest and go to what could be viewed as quasi community ownership where SST holders are akin to members.  Wouldnt that makes somewhat of a closed private club?  And hence shut out the general public in that way from going to games?  There are many people who maybe want to attend one game a year and thye might have a harder time. 

Overall, i am not disgreeing without you. I am not arguing for higher prices.  Just presenting a justifiable rebuttal based on proven theory. 

Valid points. 

I beleive Bundesliga teams cap season seats at a certain level to alleviate one of the concerns. 

I also beleive membership # season seats for those clubs. Those are separate costs which entail different things.

Ideally, stadium capacity should be high for this too work or stadia should be built to have expansion in mind.

Archived