Sign in to follow this  
The Ref

Women U20 World Cup Papua New Guinea 2016

Diving backwards on angle done properly can gain 5m of save reaction.  Depending on the situation it can sometimes be the right choice.

I spoke to an international GK coach a couple months ago who astutely said goalkeepers are different and he does not try and force change with what each is comfortable with and works for them.  He looks to correct what doesn't work for them.

Natural athleticism is a great trait for goalkeepers.  A few others would be height, durability, and most of all mentality (coachability, adaptability, pattern recognition, mental skill, etc).

19 hours ago, Vic said:

Diving backwards on angle done properly can gain 5m of save reaction.  Depending on the situation it can sometimes be the right choice.

I spoke to an international GK coach a couple months ago who astutely said goalkeepers are different and he does not try and force change with what each is comfortable with and works for them.  He looks to correct what doesn't work for them.

Natural athleticism is a great trait for goalkeepers.  A few others would be height, durability, and most of all mentality (coachability, adaptability, pattern recognition, mental skill, etc).

What do we mean by "diving backwards"?  Is it leaning back but standing on your two feet or actually flying backwards and landing on your back? 

11 hours ago, Vic said:

Diving backwards on a 45 degree angle to gain reaction time/distance...

Odd.  I see that as the keeper being too far out to begin.