Women U20 World Cup Papua New Guinea 2016

The Ref

29 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Well why call it a World Cup if only teams from one area are allowed to compete due to competition level?  There's no incentive to grow the game in areas if teams don't have anything to strive for.  Besides there's more to life than just winning.  This is a great life experience for these athletes.

its simply wrong when there are teams In UFEA that are far better that dont make it in  due to regional representation.

3 Concacaf spots are way too many for the level of play being executed . 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 67soccer said:

and thats make it ok for us to qualify ?? if we cant honestly compete with UEFA then we have no business being in the same tournament as them 

why is it when someone questions the integrity of the system and organization that you need to excuse them as sour parents .No one can question the system in your eyes ?? no wonder we are where we are 

Very discouraging to see a program that is lead on egos instead on talent .  Herdman / priestman and  Worthington should be shown the door . 

When someone makes a comment as stupid as the one you did (above) I think we have the right to criticize it and question the integrity of the poster.  And the fact that you are being backed up by someone whose only purpose at this site is to criticize the CSA no matter what they do doesn't help your cause.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

When someone makes a comment as stupid as the one you did (above) I think we have the right to criticize it and question the integrity of the poster.  And the fact that you are being backed up by someone whose only purpose at this site is to criticize the CSA no matter what they do doesn't help your cause.

Thanks Joe , You are such an inspiration of the game and life, All the best to you and the game moving forward .

23 hours ago, 67soccer said:

why is it when someone questions the integrity of the system and organization that you need to excuse them as sour parents .No one can question the system in your eyes ?? no wonder we are where we are 

On 10/31/2016 at 0:48 PM, rob.notenboom said:

Pretty tough to reconcile that opinion with Herdman's ability to inject new talent into a lineup that was growing stagnant and have a fantastic Olympic tournament culminating in a repeat medal performance. 

It's not the questioning per se that is the problem.  It is the persistent denigration of the coaching selection, specifically of the coach who (as rob.notemboom pointed out) has just successfully navigated the retirement window of the first Olympic medalists and repeated the success with a load of new talent.

That you question his willingness to accept new talent while he brings in youth and wins the medal again (and convincingly) shows that your focus is not on new talent in general, but on some specific subset of new talent.

I'm all for questioning the process and the selections if they're backed up by some good suggestions for alternatives.

[ 1 ]   Win or lose, I think  there will be a better effort from U20 CANWNT tonight --  for the sake of  national pride, I think  they'll dig deep and play a whole 90 minutes.

[ 2 ]  Chinwendu Ihezuo is a  Nigerian player that Canada might have to watch out for.   In 2012,  then 15-year old Ihezuo won the Silver shoe (with 6 goals scored ) in the 2012 FIFA U-17 WWC. But two years later, Ihezuo only scored a single goal in the 2014 FIFA U-20 WWC  Canada  and  she was overshadowed by her team mate Asisat Oshoala.   But coming into this tournament, Ihezuo is U20 Nigeria's leading scorer in qualifiers with 5 goals in 6 appearances She also plays professionally for BIIK  Kazygurt and recently played in UEFA Women's Champion's League, Round of 32.

Ihezou's 5 goal performance in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkSRH-PW7k

[ footnote ] Chinwendu Ihezuo  also scored  a late equalizer against U-17 CANWNT in the tournament opener/ group stage match  of the 2012 FIFA  U-17 WWC.

^Didn't see the match, only the highlights.  My guess is that the Nigerians rely too much on individual athleticism ( their players tend to be fast and gracefully co-ordinated ) but they're not tactically astute. In contrast, Japan play that telepathic  possession game which eliminates athleticism and  punishes opponents who are not in good position.

My sense is that an opponent can beat Japan on a slow pitch.  After the 2015 WWC Canada, I read a quote from a Japanese player ( I lost her name ) who said she preferred the old pitch at BC Place ( the concrete-hard polytan)  and did not like the brand new field turf ( intended for rugby, perhaps a concession brought about by Turfgate ) because it slowed the ball down. During the 2015 WWC final between Japan and the USA  it seemed to me that the Japanese players were struggling to pass the ball on the field  for distance. And because Japan tend to keep the ball on the surface, the slow pitch made their passing game slower, less fluid, and easily disrupted by the USWNT. Hence the blowout.

2 hours ago, tc-in-bc said:

^Didn't see the match, only the highlights.  My guess is that the Nigerians rely too much on individual athleticism ( their players tend to be fast and gracefully co-ordinated ) but they're not tactically astute. In contrast, Japan play that telepathic  possession game which eliminates athleticism and  punishes opponents who are not in good position.

My sense is that an opponent can beat Japan on a slow pitch.  After the 2015 WWC Canada, I read a quote from a Japanese player ( I lost her name ) who said she preferred the old pitch at Roger's Arena ( the concrete-hard polytan)  and did not like the brand new field turf ( intended for rugby, perhaps a concession brought about by Turfgate ) because it slowed the ball down. During the 2015 WWC final between Japan and the USA  it seemed to me that the Japanese players were struggling to pass the ball on the field  for distance. And because Japan tend to keep the ball on the surface, the slow pitch made their passing game slower, less fluid, and easily disrupted by the USWNT. Hence the blowout.

Interesting point.  I wonder what kind of surfaces does Japan use at home for training.

17 hours ago, paul-collins said:

It's not the questioning per se that is the problem.  It is the persistent denigration of the coaching selection, specifically of the coach who (as rob.notemboom pointed out) has just successfully navigated the retirement window of the first Olympic medalists and repeated the success with a load of new talent.

That you question his willingness to accept new talent while he brings in youth and wins the medal again (and convincingly) shows that your focus is not on new talent in general, but on some specific subset of new talent.

I'm all for questioning the process and the selections if they're backed up by some good suggestions for alternatives.

You say it so much nicer than I do :)

And please, can someone tell me that on a roster of 21 players, how there can be one player from BC, one from NS (residence of the Coach), one from the US (gotta look down there for athletes!), and the rest are from ON and QC?

Really? Not one from the Prairies? Only one from BC makes the grade? 

Canada Soccer, hang your head in shame.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Nope.  To be fair I haven't seen or heard much of the team but there's going to be down cycles/tournaments.  I'm not going to get too worried

Canada Soccer had a 20 year head-start in the marathon of female soccer development, and it has been already passed by countries who came very, very late to the party. 

6 minutes ago, footyfan said:

Canada Soccer had a 20 year head-start in the marathon of female soccer development, and it has been already passed by countries who came very, very late to the party. 

It's one bad tournament with a mixture of kids from all over who practice very little together.  Meanwhile the African teams train and play together for a lot longer.  Hardly seems to be a sky is falling moment to me but I know we'll agree to disagree.  Cheers.

2 hours ago, footyfan said:

And please, can someone tell me that on a roster of 21 players, how there can be one player from BC, one from NS (residence of the Coach), one from the US (gotta look down there for athletes!), and the rest are from ON and QC?

Really? Not one from the Prairies? Only one from BC makes the grade? 

Canada Soccer, hang your head in shame.

If anyone needs to hang their head in shame, it is the BC association. Historically, the Prairies haven't contributed much, so they can continue to hang their head in shame.

In looking at the roster of one team and jumping to conclusions, you might want to consider hanging your head in shame also. These things can be random, have analomies and/or go in cycles. For example, the recent u17 team roster had 6 from BC which is an over representation by 2x based on BC's population.

Why is no one interested that we are so poorly prepared for this tournament. 

Take the worst play today, their third goal. We had shown nothing in terms of getting one back vs. a rather mediocre Nigeria team. We could not play out, lord knows why we even try, and we could not play long, since we played wrongly, stupid wrong long ball, never into space or seeking out diagonals, flat and predictable. We had no way at all to advance the ball into a position we could get our second goal from. And then our keeper decided to do something she does not know how to do, she is not trained to do, and it seems, shamefully, that our coaches are asking her to do. 

The preparation here is the worst I have ever seen for a Canada women's team, it is frankly disgraceful. And I don't blame the players, I blame the coaching staff who look they are doing charity work for the underprivileged, and the CSA, for letting them get away with that bs. 

I mean, it was a hard group, terrible, like the u-17 group, I know getting through was always going to be tough. But we are one of those teams in women that has always been feared, no one thinks it is going to be easy vs. Canada. We are respected at least. But today, face it, Nigeria was persistent and all, but we were softer, way softer, than we have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The preparation here is the worst I have ever seen for a Canada women's team, it is frankly disgraceful. And I don't blame the players, I blame the coaching staff who look they are doing charity work for the underprivileged, and the CSA, for letting them get away with that bs. 

Besides disgraceful it was pitiful.  Mr. Worthington simply does not know how the game is played or is unable to teach and correct mistakes.  I tremble to think how they will do against Japan.  We may likely finish our participation with 3 straight loses and a lonely goal scored.  Is this the best we can do with all the available girls playing soccer in Canada?  Can't we find a coach that coaches?

57 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Besides disgraceful it was pitiful.  Mr. Worthington simply does not know how the game is played or is unable to teach and correct mistakes.  I tremble to think how they will do against Japan.  We may likely finish our participation with 3 straight loses and a lonely goal scored.  Is this the best we can do with all the available girls playing soccer in Canada?  Can't we find a coach that coaches?

And then watching his delirious celebration on our goal, fair enough, good to score. It was like he'd won the World Cup, silly guy. I think his euphoria was in inverse relationship to his faith in the team.

Is there any reason we have so many players who are this young, is it a problem of getting NCAA to release players or something? Did we deliberately decide to throw this tournament away?

Archived