Women U20 World Cup Papua New Guinea 2016

The Ref

Alba Redondo is another I'm looking forward to seeing again.  What these players do very well compared to North Americans is drive at a back line and improvise quickly and capably.  We tend to go up, over and around... they go through.

If anything Spain are susceptible to world class speed.  But then who isn't, and not sure if we have anyone with that kind of pace up front.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France played most of the second half down a player and scored with 10.  French coach dissed the the Canadian team after the game, said they were disappointed in them even if they had a lot of young players on the field.

We have sent eight players 16-17.  France, Germany, Japan and the USA have none between them.  

1 hour ago, Vic said:

France played most of the second half down a player and scored with 10.  French coach dissed the the Canadian team after the game, said they were disappointed in them even if they had a lot of young players on the field.

We have sent eight players 16-17.  France, Germany, Japan and the USA have none between them.  

I can see another disaster performance on the horizon.  Don't we have any 19 years old?

A bit shocking that the u-17s seemed perfectly well prepared and properly knocked out, fairly but competing, but these u-20s seemed unprepared and naive, even physically awkward some of them, not even proper athleticism. 

Apart from a very weak set of centre backs and I think our right back also, absent, or maybe the right back coverage was lacking, I did not watch carefully. In any case, Spain is good and most are on teams in the Spanish top flight, At Madrid, Barça, but still irritating to see us so far from being ready.

After Japan beating Nigeria 6-0 maybe we have a chance against Nigeria if they are as unprepared as us.  Worthington choices of players seems bad or simply give bad instructions.  I saw a marked difference in our approach in the second half for periods of time, but was too little to turn the game around.  The Spanish girls looked like athletes ready to rumble while we looked like just getting out of bed.  Was not impressed with Rose and wonder why she got picked for the adult team by Herdman.

9 minutes ago, The Ref said:

After Japan beating Nigeria 6-0 maybe we have a chance against Nigeria if they are as unprepared as us.  Worthington choices of players seems bad or simply give bad instructions.  I saw a marked difference in our approach in the second half for periods of time, but was too little to turn the game around.  The Spanish girls looked like athletes ready to rumble while we looked like just getting out of bed.  Was not impressed with Rose and wonder why she got picked for the adult team by Herdman.

At a certain point in time, like a few years ago, you need a kick in the ass, starting with the coaching staffs. They have to be told they have to get results, or else they are out. And then for a lot of these ladies. You are representing Canada and you can't coast, you have to be ready and not come in and be shell-shocked before you start, or carry extra weight in (!!!).

A team has to be dead ready, like the way you train synchro swimming or rowing, killing themselves in the training and no excuses, I mean, killing ourselves months and weeks before, strict diet, tactical rigour, and mean competitive streak. You can see that terrible self sufficiency and just humming along, and boy does it bother me. We were terribly soft and mentally slow, being beaten to balls constantly, and being out-hustled, and losing the ball childishly. 

IMO this was not even the best Spain, I am sure not there is a real star on that team even, maybe Aaitana the mid, but not even, they were just average. And they killed us.

That was a really poor match.  Decision making was really poor.  Case in point:  early in the second half one of the defenders received a pass and the Spanish forward did a nice job of taking away her first choice passing option to the holding mid (she didn't put direct pressure on the CB) but in doing so she left a space for our defender to carry the ball forward and play a pass up to our striker.  Instead, she opted to play it back to our keeper.  

Our programs must lead the world in needless back passes to the keeper.

The French coach was right - Canada is no good.

What was not surprising is that the Canadian players have poor first touches, weak passing skills and poor off the ball movement. We see this in every youth tourney as our club youth coaches are clueless and our football culture pales to countries like Spain where being comfortable with the ball is second nature.

What was surprising is that the team looked totally unprepared and didn't put out 100% effort. The unified system of play was not evident at all. 

Our Olympic players underperformed. Carle was non-existent. Rose only had 1-2 flashes. 

Even when the front line had a few scoring chances, players like Levasseur somehow managed to be offside for no good reason.

Midfield was runned over and largely non-existent. Back line rarely made any contributions on offense, looked out of depth defensively and not in shape to handle 30 degree weather for 90 mins.

Given how weak our other youth goalkeepers have been, only good thing to say was that Foster showed largely good judgement and handled crosses well.

9 minutes ago, red card said:

What was not surprising is that the Canadian players have poor first touches, weak passing skills and poor off the ball movement. We see this in every youth tourney as our club youth coaches are clueless and our football culture pales to countries like Spain where being comfortable with the ball is second nature.

So if we take your criticism of club youth coaches to heart ( and I do ) let's ask why those coaches are clueless?

What organisation is responsible for coach education?

Which individuals have been responsible for running coach education?

If they have failed to give student coaches a clue over the last twenty years, why are they still employed?

5 hours ago, red card said:

The French coach was right - Canada is no good.

What was surprising is that the team looked totally unprepared and didn't put out 100% effort. The unified system of play was not evident at all. 

Our Olympic players underperformed. Carle was non-existent. Rose only had 1-2 flashes. 

Even when the front line had a few scoring chances, players like Levasseur somehow managed to be offside for no good reason.

Midfield was runned over and largely non-existent. Back line rarely made any contributions on offense, looked out of depth defensively and not in shape to handle 30 degree weather for 90 mins.

Given how weak our other youth goalkeepers have been, only good thing to say was that Foster showed largely good judgement and handled crosses well.

Lamontagne did manage to score a goal albeit offside.  Insofar as goalkeeping I digress a bit.  Our keepers can catch and cushion balls well but their positioning is very wrong a reason for allowing majority of goals.  I always get the impression that they are trained in ball catching but instructors fail on teaching the ins and outs of positioning according to what the GK has in front of her.

All of this is what I was getting at when I said our national team is ranked fourth, women's soccer in Canada - not so much.

Countries like Spain have a bucket full of U20s who have been training daily and playing with other professionals between 15-40 year-round.  Tournament time they pick the best 20 on form.

Thank God for FIFA regionalism and CONCACAF because if we were in UEFA we would probably never be in another youth World Cup.

Maria Sanchez from Mexico what a great player.  Mexico gets past powerful Korea 2-0.  Mexico looks to be in excellent fitness shape.  They were as fresh at the end of the match as they were at the start while Korean girls were slowly fading away.  Maybe Mexico is used to play under the heat in Mexico.

19 hours ago, Vic said:

Thank God for FIFA regionalism and CONCACAF because if we were in UEFA we would probably never be in another youth World Cup.

and thats make it ok for us to qualify ?? if we cant honestly compete with UEFA then we have no business being in the same tournament as them 

On 11/13/2016 at 2:58 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Sure sounds like their kid didn't get picked.  Anyone remember that crazy Czech guy who used to post here bitching about his son being neglected.

why is it when someone questions the integrity of the system and organization that you need to excuse them as sour parents .No one can question the system in your eyes ?? no wonder we are where we are 

26 minutes ago, 67soccer said:

and thats make it ok for us to qualify ?? if we cant honestly compete with UEFA then we have no business being in the same tournament as them 

Well why call it a World Cup if only teams from one area are allowed to compete due to competition level?  There's no incentive to grow the game in areas if teams don't have anything to strive for.  Besides there's more to life than just winning.  This is a great life experience for these athletes.

21 hours ago, Trillium said:

So if we take your criticism of club youth coaches to heart ( and I do ) let's ask why those coaches are clueless?

What organisation is responsible for coach education?

Which individuals have been responsible for running coach education?

If they have failed to give student coaches a clue over the last twenty years, why are they still employed?

Fingers crossed for JDV to make a difference in this regard. He's got a mountain to climb.

Archived