Women U20 World Cup Papua New Guinea 2016

The Ref

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Ref said:

Is it incredible that of the 21 players selected for the squad only 1 does not play for a U.S. University.

Whats more incredible is the lack of scouting by Worthington and his boss Herdman . Many top players in the NCAA and CIS left out , though no surprise as they continue to only look within their box 

12 hours ago, The Ref said:

Worthington said  "We are going to play the way we want to play because it is the right way and it is the right way for Canada."  Pretty ballsy eh!

exactly what is the right way , as looks like the right way didnt work for the U17s .Looks like Mr   Worthington is setting up his excuses for failure 

Very discouraging to see a program that is lead  on egos instead on talent .  Herdman / priestman and  Worthington should be shown the door . 

1 hour ago, 67soccer said:

Very discouraging to see a program that is lead  on egos instead on talent .  Herdman / priestman and  Worthington should be shown the door . 

Pretty tough to reconcile that opinion with Herdman's ability to inject new talent into a lineup that was growing stagnant and have a fantastic Olympic tournament culminating in a repeat medal performance. 

On 10/29/2016 at 9:25 AM, 67soccer said:

Whats more incredible is the lack of scouting by Worthington and his boss Herdman . Many top players in the NCAA and CIS left out , though no surprise as they continue to only look within their box 

Instead of generalities, name the names of players that should have been considered for the team a la tc-in-bc has done in the other u20 thread.

13 minutes ago, red card said:

Instead of generalities, name the names of players that should have been considered for the team a la tc-in-bc has done in the other u20 thread.

If you don't include players with the stats of Viens http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211110403 is that really bad scouting or is it stupidity (or the player refusing)?

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If you don't include players with the stats of Viens http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211110403 is that really bad scouting or is it stupidity (or the player refusing)?

Whether you agree with it or not, bringing someone onto the final roster for a U20 World Cup who has never been involved with Canada Soccer at all seems unlikely. (Should they have looked at her before? Well, maybe. But even "late additions" to a roster generally seem to have been to at least one camp.) 

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Good players!  I wonder if anyone can name all the "alleged" scouts in the women program.  Perhaps I may be out of touch, but the only scout I ever saw in the women program was Ian Bridge during the dictatorship of Evil Pellerud.

Viens said herself that it was just random luck that she went to play in NCAA. They went to scout another player and Viens impressed  and they saw her a second time and she impressed again. I wouldn't be surprised that what happened is pure luck on how she got there. The question now is how did she not make a youth team when she was playing alongside Gabrielle Carle last year? Could they have said that Carle has a better shot at being a great senior team player than Viens so they chose her?

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

You cannot expect the CSA staff to call a Canadian Coach who runs a program in the US to ask about players...and potential for the National Programs. CSA coaches only have eight hours a day you know.

[ 1 ] So U20 CANWNT  have arrived in Australia and will begin a 10-day camp in Brisbane. They play a practice match with U20 France on November 8 and then will depart for PNG on November 10.

[ 2 ] U20 France is a decent measuring stick.  U19 France defeated U19 Spain in the final of the 2016 UEFA Women's U19 Championship , July 31, 2016. The cores of both U19 rosters will be playing for their respective U20 teams in the U20 WWC and U20 CANWT open the tournament against U20 Spain. It should be noted that all but one of U20 France's roster  play regularly in Division 1 Feminine. That said, France's best young striker Marie-Antoinette Katoto will miss the U20 tournament because of an injury she sustained on the weekend. Katoto is currently PSG's leading scorer with 5 goals in 5 matches and she won the Golden Boot for the 2016 UEFA Women's U19 Championship with 8 goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-Eak8YdhY

[ 3 ] Sidenote: while in Brisbane, Worthington's team might be able to take in the opening round of the Australian W-League:

http://www.w-league.com.au/matchcentre/Brisbane-Roar-FC-Women-v-Sydney-FC-Women/888635

Won't get in the mud as some others have decided ...........though my comments started a conversation that created some questions maybe the same conversation and questions should be held and asked in the offices at the CSA . Maybe the same questions should be asked  by the paying public .Maybe if we wanted more and stop expecting the same old , then maybe this country could reach its true potential .

Just maybe 

Though back to the upset dad 

What makes Canada so special that you think being ranked 4th in the world is a disgrace?  In my opinion, we're punching way above our weight.  I'm not saying that the current team doesn't deserve their success.  I'm saying that it's damn near a miracle that we have a team this good.  We're a giant sized country with a miniscule population (0.5% of the world's population), spread out along a long, thin strip of land 5,000 miles long.  Between that and the weather, it's just not built for thriving, high-competition soccer.  Most of our players have to go elsewhere to grow.  That we're successful internationally can only be down to the coaching staff.

Our bronze medal at the last Olympics was fully deserved, which has never happened before.  We've never played better than we are now.  I just don't get the comments about Herdman being incompetent.

As you've probably guessed already, I rank him highly.  We don't have the infrastructure nor the money to develop everyone that has a chance of being an international player.  We need a different approach, which is what Herdman and his crew have come up with.  And it seems to be working, with new young players with some talent making the commitment to do what it takes to develop themselves over the long term, and getting the support from the coaches to achieve that.  It's not as good as having everyone with the potential develop themselves, but this country just isn't willing to give what it takes to support anything even close to that.  I think Herdman has done an admirable job under the constraints.

I like that we use the UXX tournaments to find and develop future senior players rather than push to win the tournaments outright.  Jessie Fleming is a bona fide senior player; we don't need to test her in PNG.  Let's give others the chance and experience instead since the opportunities are so few.

What makes Canada so special that you think being ranked 4th in the world is a disgrace?  In my opinion, we're punching way above our weight.

Correction - our national team is ranked 4th in the world.  But where is Canadian women's soccer ranked?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_women's_association_football

The other countries in that list with no league:  Equatorial Guinea, Iran, North Korea, Morocco, Myanamr, Singapore and Tanzania.

1 minute ago, Vic said:

Correction - our national team is ranked 4th in the world.  But where is Canadian women's soccer ranked?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_women's_association_football

The other countries in that list with no league:  Equatorial Guinea, Iran, North Korea, Morocco, Myanamr, Singapore and Tanzania.

I agree, and that's why I said it was damn near a miracle that we are doing so well internationally.  I'm not sure I can blame anyone for not being able to run a NWSL-like league in Canada, least of all Herdman.

A week to kickoff.  

Spain are a great well-managed side and Nahikari García is a treasure and a real joy to watch perform.  Most players you would say watch-play but for some like her it's more of an artistic performance.  It's not speed and power, it's guile and grace.  Probably 110 pounds soaking wet and the smallest player on the field but if she's on her game she's a day's work.  There's not many players that will run at you instead of around you and it's almost non-existent on the women's side. 

Spain have a tournament "team" of managers, trainers, physicians, cooks, etc that travel around and support all their teams.  They go right from World Cup men to U17 women.  The experience and quality obviously pays off for the girls, they perform well in tournaments.

[  1  ] Spain U20 roster: http://www.sefutbol.com/oficial-convocatoria-definitiva-campeonato-del-mundo-sub-20-papua-nueva-guinea

[  2  ]  Four of their players ( Sandra Hernandez, Aitana  Bonmati, Maria Caldentey, Patri  Guijarro ) play for FC Barcelona Femeni   which went full professional in 2015.

[  3  ]  Spain U20 did not feel the need to  add  Lorena Navarro  to their roster who is the Golden Shoe winner  ( with eight goals ) of the recent  2016 FIFA  U17 Women’s World Cup -- Jordan.

[  4 ] While she isn’t their only threat ,Nahikara Garcia is  Spain U20’s  most consistent scorer  ( she also has three goals in league play this year  for Real Sociedad )  At the  2.27   mark of the video  Nahikara Garcia scores a goal to finish off a string of TEN consecutive passes  by U17 Spain  against a hapless U17  New Zealand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya883m2e43U

[  5  ]   The core of Spain U20 roster  have been together for at least three years and they have finished second place in FOUR major tournaments ( highlighted players are on Spain U20's world cup roster) :

( i  )    2016 UEFA Women’s U19  Championship – Slovakia

Winner:   U19 France ( Katoto ) Runner Up:  U19 Spain

Spain  U19  top scorers:

Sandra  Hernandez  4 goals

Lucia Garcia 4 goals

Nahikari Garcia 3 goals

Andrea Sanchez Falcon 2 goals

Aitana Bonmati 1 goal

Marta Cazalla  1 goal

( ii )    2015  UEFA Women’s U19  Championship –  Israel

Winner : U19 Sweden ( Blackstenius)  Runner Up : U19 Spain

Spain  U19  top scorers: