Canadian Premier League: The Story So Far

55 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I added the "news" from Totera and Tannenwald (not saying they are "news" as in fact, but "news" as in they are claiming new information from sources).

Has there been anything new on Ottawa I missed? Lots of opinion pieces and analysis, but I haven't seen any true news lately

CPL opinion pieces and analysis are like dicks.

Everyone on here seems to have one, everyone's proud of their own, and everyone thinks there's no way that anyone else's measures up to theirs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/11/2016 at 0:38 PM, Gopherbashi said:

CPL opinion pieces and analysis are like dicks.

Everyone on here seems to have one, everyone's proud of their own, and everyone thinks there's no way that anyone else's measures up to theirs.

Won't somebody think of the women?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 6:00 PM, Complete Homer said:
  • *NEW* November 5, 2016 - Dino Rossi and Kambiz Ebadi (commissioners of L1O and PLSQ) interviewed by Press Box Hattrick. Dino Rossi says League1 Ontario is developing video scouting services to allow CanPL teams to have better ways to evaluate players who have the potential to move up. Also confirmed that 2017 is certainly a no-go and 2018 will be the launch date. Ebadi also expressed excitement about the league. http://thelinknewspaper.ca/blogs/pressbox

Great work. I suggest using the full URL for the link above (for the benefit of future users): https://thelinknewspaper.ca/blogs/entry/pbht79-the-plsq-l1o-panel-edition-ft.-dino-rossi-kambiz-ebadi

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to have a proper (and prettier) writeup of this for northernstartingeleven.com by later tonight, if I can manage to edit quickly and coordinate with @Rintaran properly. Stayed tuned!

Hoping to spread the article around a bit (reddit, twitter, etc) right before the CSA meeting, so that anyone hearing about CPL for the first time from any news resulting from the CSA meeting can be brought up to date on the last six years of context to understand better what is going on

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

It's one massive infographic at this point. @admin and @Rintaran, you cool if I plug a link to the t-shirt sales at the bottom?

Absolutely. I've already plugged it a few times via social media. Was considering adding an image & link on the site's sidebar (both the CPL-specific & maybe the generic) if @admin has no objections.

On 2016/11/05 at 5:22 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Whatever happened back on February 25th is essential for the future development of this league.

It was probably related to a radio interview Victor Montagliani did with the FAN 590:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/solution-to-canadians-as-domestics-issue-coming-in-next-month-montagliani-r5546

...Montagliani was also asked about the Canadian Premier League project. He again confirmed that the CSA was talking to investors about creating an “inclusive solution” with current professional teams to create more professional opportunities in Canada. On note, he made reference to the possibility of those opportunities coming in “cross border leagues that we control.”

Outside of the earliest reporting on the CanPL where the possibility of a partnership with the NASL to create a “Canadian conference” was suggested, that was the first suggestion that anything other than a Canadian only option was being considered.

That doesn't neatly fit into the preferred narrative for many on here.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It was probably related to a radio interview Victor Montagliani did with the FAN 590:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/solution-to-canadians-as-domestics-issue-coming-in-next-month-montagliani-r5546

...Montagliani was also asked about the Canadian Premier League project. He again confirmed that the CSA was talking to investors about creating an “inclusive solution” with current professional teams to create more professional opportunities in Canada. On note, he made reference to the possibility of those opportunities coming in “cross border leagues that we control.”

Outside of the earliest reporting on the CanPL where the possibility of a partnership with the NASL to create a “Canadian conference” was suggested, that was the first suggestion that anything other than a Canadian only option was being considered.

That doesn't neatly fit into the preferred narrative for many on here.

If you're suggesting I omitted it because of trying to invent an alternative history... whatever man. I wasted way more hours and sleep putting together that timeline so that people would have something to help them piece together what was going on, and I couldn't figure out what was on that date when I was rushing through it

Hey, if the CSA wants to strike some kind of deal with the USL to support this thing, all the power to them, but most of the leaked tidbits floating around have been suggesting that the CSA wants to do its own thing.

That's fine too.

When it comes right down to it, it's the teams that will need to succeed, and the league will follow (whatever form that league takes).

• 2 months later...

In case anyone thought this was completely abandoned, I turned this thread into a series of blog posts to clean it up a bit. The original is above. The December 2016 update is available here (http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/the-canadian-premier-league-december-rumour-roundup/), and the January 2017 update is available here (http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/the-canadian-premier-league-january-rumour-roundup/

Overall, I think they demonstrate an interest in CPL that does in fact extend past the Voyageurs. The original post has gotten about 2300 views, with a large part of the traffic from people googling "Canadian Premier League". The site has also recorded a couple dozen clicks on the link to purchase a Support the CanPL t-shirt and decent traffic directed towards the twitter accounts of various CPL supporters groups. 

If anyone is interested in helping with the site, contact @Rintaran, I think giving people articles to discuss is a great way to get the word out

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

In case anyone thought this was completely abandoned, I turned this thread into a series of blog posts to clean it up a bit. The original is above. The December 2016 update is available here (http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/the-canadian-premier-league-december-rumour-roundup/), and the January 2017 update is available here (http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/the-canadian-premier-league-january-rumour-roundup/

Overall, I think they demonstrate an interest in CPL that does in fact extend past the Voyageurs. The original post has gotten about 2300 views, with a large part of the traffic from people googling "Canadian Premier League". The site has also recorded a couple dozen clicks on the link to purchase a Support the CanPL t-shirt and decent traffic directed towards the twitter accounts of various CPL supporters groups. 

If anyone is interested in helping with the site, contact @Rintaran, I think giving people articles to discuss is a great way to get the word out

I just wanted to make my first post in regards to this post because I am one of those people who googled "Canadian Premier League" and found the December summary after keeping occasional tabs on it since hearing about the league earlier last year. After more digging, I was eventually led here and have been following silently for a little bit.

There is definitely some silent interest in the league among casual followers and updates such as these updates are much appreciated! I've always been more of a casual soccer fan and haven't followed too much, but the CPL would definitely be the thing to seal my transition transition to hardcore fan having a domestic league to follow (regardless of quality).

Archived