Canadians abroad: October 21-27, 2016

DJT

Sam's Izarra won 2-3 in Burgos, going up 0-2, drawn on two penalties, then nabbing the winner late. They are still in a promotion playoff spot in 2B group 1. Not sure yet if Sam played 90 or committed either of the penalties.

Edit: Piette played 90. The team is behind Racing Santander, with the money, history and fan base to be in top flight, and Cultural Leonesa, who play Madrid in the Cup, a team bought by the Aspire academy they are using as a test case. So very good for such an incredibly modest club with the crappiest social media and web I have ever seen at this level.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decision day in MLS.

- TFC start Osorio with Johnson and Ricketts on the bench.

- Whitecaps start Aird with Edgar and Levis on the bench. I would have expected more of a B lineup from the Whitecaps with an eye towards next year but I guess Cascadia Cup is on the line.

- Impact start Jackson-Hamel, Choiniere and Lefevre. Of note, Jackson-Hamel gets the start over Drogba

- Larin is on the bench for Orlando City.

- Akindele starts for Dallas.

And in NASL, Shome, Fisk, Ledgerwood and Aleksic (seemingly right after I said Miller doesn't trust him) start for FC Edmonton with Farago and Zebie on the bench. Ouimette is not in the 18, and it seems his career is nosediving.

And after watching more replays of the Arfield goal here, I think I can concede my earlier point.

Iain Hume is having another good year in India, penalty goal to win vs. Delhi for Kolkata, that is 2 in five games.

Read he is now the leading scorer in the history of this "league".

I did not realize there is an India premiership, the I-League, and many commentators say it is better than the ISL, considered a kind of show league. ISL is not even recognized by FIFA, it is meant to promote the game. Some observers think the idea is to eventually merge, because as is, this 4 month season of the ISL is not very serious in competition terms, though it could be good promotionally. 

Issey Nakajima-Farran played 90 minutes in Terengganu's 1-0 loss to Penang which secured them last place and relegation from the Malaysian Super League yesterday.

I can't imagine Issey will be staying with the club next year, especially given his public gripes with management.

He finished the season with 7 goals in 18 appearances.

Pasher, Grant and Didic all started for Marc dos Santos' SPR against NYRBII in the USL championship game, while Gonzales came on as a sub at 66'. SPR got thumped 5-1 in New Jersey; dos Santos has now lost the championship game in two different leagues in back-to-back years. Pasher looked like he had a rough game from the highlights.

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

Aird had a pretty good game for Vancouver.. His offensive qualities are very good and could have helped us out in WCQ. I hope he's back with Vancouver next year.

An MLS loan usually requires a purchase price for the end of the loan. Rangers signed Lee Hodson to compete with James Tavernier, so hes likely available at a low price. 

3 minutes ago, jordan said:

An MLS loan usually requires a purchase price for the end of the loan. Rangers signed Lee Hodson to compete with James Tavernier, so hes likely available at a low price. 

They have an option to buy, not an obligation. The question is does Robbo think he's a project worth continuing on. Smith won't be staying, he wasn't good enough, but Robbo could opt to actually buy a proper RB because Aird has struggled at times.

28 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

They have an option to buy, not an obligation. The question is does Robbo think he's a project worth continuing on. Smith won't be staying, he wasn't good enough, but Robbo could opt to actually buy a proper RB because Aird has struggled at times.

But what are the changes that Robbo will be back?  

19 hours ago, Zem said:

Issey Nakajima-Farran played 90 minutes in Terengganu's 1-0 loss to Penang which secured them last place and relegation from the Malaysian Super League yesterday.

I can't imagine Issey will be staying with the club next year, especially given his public gripes with management.

Thanks, had not followed them this year. I imagine he'll be back in Spain for family reasons in the off-season, but am not sure, at age 32, what he can expect of his career, whether he thinks he is still good for a high salary in some league somewhere or not. Because if he thinks he can continue playing pro, my take is that he will.

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Full highlights of Piette with Izarra against Burgos (2-3), Izarra in red. He's the stocky guy with the lighter hair in a tail, no. 6 I think it is. Playing the DM role very comfortably. Taking balls off, playing out. He is not always the furthest mid back though. Burgos is the worst team in their division.

Was that Piette who made a great defensive play in the first highlight? If so, THAT is where his strengths are in my view.

49 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Was that Piette who made a great defensive play in the first highlight? If so, THAT is where his strengths are in my view.

That was him. You can see his role, never too close to goal, covering for the others. Good conditioning.

I am in fact a bit worried that his Canadian friendlies will cut into his continuity and they might tire of him being away, after reading that interview from Dundee about Haber. Because he is getting lot's of 2B minutes even having been away twice already, and Korea looming. Maybe there comes a time you ask to focus on club play, it is a key year for him and I think more powerful teams, including Osasuna, will poach Izarra if they keep doing well, since they are all on low salaries.

Uruguay Second Division

Andres Fresenga (former Ottawa Fury) and Nicolas Galvis both started in Canadian SC's 3-1 loss. Fresenga received a red card in the 78th minute (another defender on the team was also red carded). Galvis was subbed off in the 50th minute. 

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Wow, that's unexpected. Thought he'd struggle for minutes. 

The match preview article mentions one of their starting strikers is out injured (El Bakhtaoui), so I guess Marcus must be one of the next guys down the depth chart and/or they're just taking the opportunity to see what he can do against the next-worst team in the league (Thistle are 11th, one point ahead of Dundee). The article seems to imply they lacked size and strength up front, so maybe they're hoping he can help enable their attack.

http://dundeefc.co.uk/news/manager-previews-partick/

Archived