Canada-Mexico February 4 at BC Place, Vancouver

Blackdude

Kickoff in 2 hours. Viewing Parties:

Hamilton: Pheasant Plucker, 20 Augusta St https://www.facebook.com/events/1877279549169226/

Toronto: Clinton's, 693 Bloor St. W

Ottawa: Georgetown Pub, 1159 Bank St

Kitchener(Waterloo): Whale and Ale Pub, 1120 Victoria St N http://www.facebook.com/events/1089317421191020/

Windsor: The Manchester, 546 Ouellette Ave

@admin , can you tweet and tag CanadaSoccer & #CANWNT just in case?

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Kickoff in 2 hours. Viewing Parties:

Hamilton: Pheasant Plucker, 20 Augusta St https://www.facebook.com/events/1877279549169226/

Toronto: Clinton's, 693 Bloor St. W

Ottawa: Georgetown Pub, 1159 Bank St

@admin , can you tweet and tag CanadaSoccer & #CANWNT just in case?

There's one for K-W as well - https://www.facebook.com/events/1089317421191020/

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well it is one now! It's a public venue, and there will be fans there. Not everyone has TSN 2, so I'm including it! If other people show up, say hi! :)

That's why I always post lol.  Heading there now.  Cheers

gawd i hate canada! the nations no. 1 sports broadcaster LOVES to say soccer lives here, this is the place for the nation's soccer fix, blah blah blah absolute BS! (just referring to it as soccer says enuf doesnt it?)

they have the balls to say those things aloud and the gutless CSA accomodates them with a delayed kickoff just so said pos broadcaster can push it off to their second channel!@!

this is horsecrap!   guess what theyre showing on tsn1, 3,4,5?! .....CURLING!

fml.... on an empty saturday they do this. guess why this nation will (still) never make it to the (new) world cup again? idiots in suits who claim to support.....

</rant> (sorry)

images.jpg

Post game analysis:

Antonio's (MEX) goal was a nice bit of dribbling but we were poor; it started with a poor pass (by Rose?) to give away the ball, then poor defending by Nault (it was her last game and she was not expected to start but did) and a missed save by Labbé.

Johnson's (MEX) goal was unacceptable; unmarked during a corner kick in the box. What were we thinking? Got to give it to the Mexicans - smooth one-touch tap in from a perfect corner. Can our players do that? ;)http://twitter.com/thrace/status/828040219823861761

D'Angelo is better than Labbé. I want her to start next game at Algarve. Herdman just has the next 2 years to figure that out. At 23 (vs 30 for Labbé) she is far more likely to be the long-term future of the #CANWNT.

This game was about the old/the past. I hope Algarve will be all about the future - building towards 2018 WCQ and we will have a full strength squad vs Denmark on March 1st.

@Trillium @MrsC how did it look from the stands?

2 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

The following things are awesome: Curling, Jessie Fleming, Janine Beckie, and to a surprising extent Marie-Eve Nault.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I'm a sentimental admirer of Nault, and was happy to see her in the game.  She did better than I expected at center back today, but still made quite a few glaring errors.  I'm both happy she got to play in the friendly, and also happy she won't be back in that position in games that matter.

I also thought that Fleming had a crap game today.  There was lots of rust in the team today, and she had it in spades.

Beckie was very good.  I liked that Sinclair gave her the penalty again to make up for her miss at the Olympics, and she buried it with ease.  Speaking of Sinclair, I think she was our best player by far today.  The youth may be our future, but today still belongs to Sinclair.

P.S. Deanne Rose also played very well.  How strange that the forwards stood out from all the rest today.  Very uncanadian.

2 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  I'm a sentimental admirer of Nault, and was happy to see her in the game.  She did better than I expected at center back today, but still made quite a few glaring errors.  I'm both happy she got to play in the friendly, and also happy she won't be back in that position in games that matter.

I also thought that Fleming had a crap game today.  There was lots of rust in the team today, and she had it in spades.

Beckie was very good.  I liked that Sinclair gave her the penalty again to make up for her miss at the Olympics, and she buried it with ease.  Speaking of Sinclair, I think she was our best player by far today.  The youth may be our future, but today still belongs to Sinclair.

I think that @Benjamin Massey's assesment has nothing to do with how they played, but how they did with the V's after the match. 

12 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

What a crowd for a women's friendly! I doubt the men playing at home against Bermuda would have gotten so many fans. That is awesome. Good for the women.

(for some reason), girls play on saturdays and boys play on sundays. it snowed here overnight so all matches were cancelled.  i suspect the walk up crowd was quite big. that and the WMT is always a good draw.

(gee... i wonder if the MNT was half as good as the WMT, the numbers they could draw)

Archived