FIFA rankings - why they are important and how to beat the system

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks like the FIFA rankings have been updated today. I've never seen the rankings listed to 2 decimal places before, so that seems to be new. No more rounding up or down I guess. The current

Had to do some serious digging to find this thread! Page 21 on the forum! 😂 The next FIFA ranking update will be on April 7th. Even though our ranking points won't mean a whole lot in the sh

The ELO ratings have us 4th in the region and trailing Costa Rica by only 3 spots.  We are 55th in the rankings and I think when we made the World Cup we were about 40th.  Things looking up.  Also the

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Shway said:

So at this rate, it will benefit us for the 2023 Gold Cup?

Yes, if we can move into that top 4 before the 2023 Gold Cup draw that will be big for us. However, before that the 2022-23 Nations League would also use these CONCACAF rankings. According to wikipedia that competition is supposed to start in May of 2022, no word on when the draw would be yet. If we can win 4 games in June (big ask, but possible) and Honduras does nothing in the Nations League playoffs we might be able to overtake them. If not, we would definitely be within striking distance when the Octagonal rolls around.

P.S. Still working on trying to reverse engineer this CONCACAF ranking formula. Some stuff just doesn't make sense to me. I'm certain I won't get something very exact, but hopefully I can get it more accurate than what I have now, which is in the right neighborhood a third of the time, and wildly off the rest of the time.

It looks like the FIFA rankings have been updated today. I've never seen the rankings listed to 2 decimal places before, so that seems to be new. No more rounding up or down I guess.

The current points for the top 10 in CONCACAF:

Mexico 1629.56
USA 1555.42
Jamaica 1432.65
Costa Rica 1423.40
Honduras 1361.21
El Salvador 1341.24
Canada 1340.56
Curaçao 1323.06
Panama 1321.97
Haiti 1290.62

We're now just 0.68 points behind El Salvador for 6th and 20.65 points behind Honduras for 5th.

Hopefully there are 4 victories in June to add to our total. 😀

Edited by jtpc

Since they went to the new ranking formula there have been a lot more teams tied in ranking, so I guess that's why they started showing the decimal places. More transparency if there happens to be a tie where a line is drawn for determining different pots for a draw or something.

If they were still rounding, Canada and El Salvador would be tied right now.

An insignificant but nice little thing is that all the CONCACAF teams ahead of Canada dropped points in these rankings, with the exception of the USA. Curacao and Panama both gained a little bit of ground on us (2 and 1 point respectively).

Now we just have to wait 2 months for more games.

The ELO ratings have us 4th in the region and trailing Costa Rica by only 3 spots.  We are 55th in the rankings and I think when we made the World Cup we were about 40th.  Things looking up.  Also they anticipate game results and we are overwhelming favourites for the two games in June.  I realize Suriname has changed but I think our boys should be favoured and are truly in the mix for 3rd in the region.