This article on CBC is unprofessional

Admin

On 2016-10-07 at 7:54 PM, admin said:

Because the lack of people is understandable.  

No need for it to be the focus in an article that is a schadenfreude piece for the writer. 

A Canadian Soccer story about nothing maybe by a CBC hockey writer just to slam Canadian Soccer? Obviously whoever wrote this piece knows nothing about footie and how exciting it would be for Moroccans to go watch a third party Canada vs Mauritania friendly. 

Maybe the author should've tied ticket sales being impacted by Floro's boring defensive play and that the Morrocan public were unaware he was let go. At least he'd have a little more street cred. 

4 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

For what is worth, the journalist retweeted my msg calling the article stupid and pointless and providing suggestions for the next story... 

Really? I hate twitter so I don't know what goes one there.  

I do however, respect someone who effectively or directly says they made a mistake. 

48 minutes ago, admin said:

Really? I hate twitter so I don't know what goes one there.  

I do however, respect someone who effectively or directly says they made a mistake. 

I'm not sure he admitted a mistake. But he did "retweet" my message to all his followers. So they know I didn't like the article... 

My message :

@SportsWriter_PM what a stupid, pointless article on #CanMNT. For next time - new blood, new style, core players committed, Oso returns...

4 hours ago, xman14 said:

The frequency in which you all get butt hurt never ceases to amaze me

No. This is not that.  

It's about being proactive and taking a stand on the level of professionalism with our national broadcaster.  You have to decide if the media covers what is popular or defines it.   Given the ad revenue that pours in, they are definitely in the business of defining and I don't think that is something they should do. Private business, fine, CBC, no.

They could have written an article that was critical and ripped the program apart. That would totally be in order if it's informed. If the information is good be as critical as you want.  This was snark and using our national broadcaster to snipe your personal views is unprofessional.  

It matters because the next thing I read on CBC, that I know nothing about, what defense do I have other than the reputation of the organization for the veracity of the article? 

The old saying goes negativity sells in the media and that's what they're doing.  Since Canada is out of WCQ its open game season on the CMNT and that won't change anytime soon.  Results, a Gold Cup win and qualifying to a World Cup is what shuts up the negative press and they start taking the team more seriously.  Regarding friendlies, Canada needs more friendlies scheduled to at least keep within rankings or get higher for the EU permit.  Canada is a country has a long way to go before they embrace futbol as a 2nd fav sport after hockey in TV ratings.

3 hours ago, nolbertos said:

The old saying goes negativity sells in the media and that's what they're doing.  Since Canada is out of WCQ its open game season on the CMNT and that won't change anytime soon.  Results, a Gold Cup win and qualifying to a World Cup is what shuts up the negative press and they start taking the team more seriously.  Regarding friendlies, Canada needs more friendlies scheduled to at least keep within rankings or get higher for the EU permit.  Canada is a country has a long way to go before they embrace futbol as a 2nd fav sport after hockey in TV ratings.

I don't think any sport, or anything for that matter, should have to 'earn' the respect of journalists in order for  them to conduct themselves in a professional manner. 

This isn't about being aggrieved in the name of soccer wrt to that article.  It just happens to be something I/we know something about and illustrates the kind of content we don't want to see on CBC.

CBC articles should not be reduced to extended snipey/snarkey twitter posts.

I'm not that offended by this but I too fail to see the point of the article.  It is very short (as it does not really go into the reasons why the match is being played in the first place).  So why bother to write it?  Does the journalist have to fill his quota of articles?

If anything, it reveals the writer's lack of understanding for the context of the match.

Edit:

Come to think of it, you have to wonder what this fellow would make of a closed-door friendly ...

"So get this: Canada played a soccer match against XXX and the fans were actually locked out!" :)

Archived