This article on CBC is unprofessional

Admin

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I guess I'm missing something...why the outrage??

Because the lack of people is understandable.  

No need for it to be the focus in an article that is a schadenfreude piece for the writer. 

Honestly, it's things like this that make me put my tin-foil hat on and say that Canadian Media outlets are in the pocket of NHL.

This and constant spamming of TSN with "the NHL might put ads on jerseys" that never seems to materialize, just to stir up the anti-soccer crowd and remind them that they hate us.

Seriously.  

I know I'm probably drinking my own Kool-aid, but sometimes I really wonder.

Its designed to increase cynicism towards Canadian men's soccer because that sells (ie. gets views). It shows that in the media there is still a long way to go, and also with the sporting public. If Canada didn't win we'd see "Can't even beat Mauritania" comments from joe public yet when we do win 4-0 there is "Canada is crap, they can only beat teams like Mauritania and they are so bad no-one cares" comments instead. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. This cynicism is encouraged by articles like this one, so the writer should indeed by tarred and feathered.

11 hours ago, Floortom said:

I guess I'm missing something...why the outrage??

At first I thought the same thing, however I have now have changed my mind.  What really was the point of the article?  If nothing else, it is being used to try and sway the casual fan into the CMNT is a joke territory.  If so, why write the article at all really?

Why no mention of the rebuild? Influx of promising youth? Change in tactics?  Decent sign of hope after the recent exit from qualifing?  Goal scorers? I am surprised Findlay's name was even mentioned at all!  Sure there was a link to a better article written about the game but even that was described negatively ("words" were written that prove the game actually happened) which most casual eyes wouldn't bother to view.  

This was definitely a lazy article written once again to cast negative energy on Canadian soccer.  

It has always been an uphill battle cracking the "mainstream" media who seem quite happy to provide plenty of knocks (deserved or not) but not an equal amount of praise when needed.  Quite possibly more results like this may change things, but unfortunately given the history I am not that optimistic.  Hopefully Vic and the CSA will continue this trend of playing decent international friendlies.  They are a win win if you ask me, helping build a better team and story line.

Lol it's 2016 and still we get soccer hater articles like this in Canada, oh well this crap in the mainstream media has been going on ever since I started following soccer like over 40 years ago and it's not going to stop anytime soon unfortunately.

42 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Lol it's 2016 and still we get soccer hater articles like this in Canada, oh well this crap in the mainstream media has been going on ever since I started following soccer like over 40 years ago and it's not going to stop anytime soon unfortunately.

Meh... thanks to the internet, mainstream media is dying everywhere ... so i'm not too worried about their "influence".

The future popularity of Canadian Soccer lies with us at the grassroots, anyways.

It wasn't CBC who was responsible for the record crowds this round of WCQ.....It was us.

There are multiple ways to address in which the CBC should be receptive (based on being the national broadcaster)

- Use CSA media contacts to complain about the article
- Find the authors boss and complain as the Voyageurs 
- Find someone with a bone to pick with the CBC (opposition MP...?)

It might seem an overreaction, but there's no reason that a publicly funded should be poo-pooing a Canadian national team and devoting more coverage to foreign teams (Ronaldo is on the CBC soccer home page). This must break with the CBC's mission statement at some point. 

The CBC is an institution that can be leaned on and in our long-term goal to grow the game in the soccer should be a resource.

CBC .....

Journalistic Standards and Practices

Introduction

• Our Mission and Values

Our Mission

We are Canada’s national public news and information service. We are rooted in every region of the country and report on Canada and the world to provide a Canadian perspective on international news and current affairs.

We provide Canadians with information when and how they want it, through an evolving range of media.

To serve the public interest

Our mission is to inform, to reveal, to contribute to the understanding of issues of public interest and to encourage citizens to participate in our free and democratic society.

To reflect diversity

We are committed to reflecting accurately the range of experiences and points of view of all citizens. All Canadians, of whatever origins, perspectives and beliefs, should feel that our news and current affairs coverage is relevant to them and lives up to our Values.

We have a special responsibility to reflect regional and cultural diversity, as well as fostering respect and understanding across regions.

To protect our independence

We are independent of all lobbies and of all political and economic influence. We uphold freedom of expression and freedom of the press, the touchstones of a free and democratic society. Public interest guides all our decisions.

To act responsibly and to be accountable

We are aware of the impact of our journalism and are honest with our audiences. We do not hesitate to correct any mistake when necessary nor to follow-up a story when a situation changes significantly.

The office of the Ombudsman reviews our practices against the standards set out in these policies. We openly provide the public with the means to judge and hold us to account by sharing with it research we may use to measure the quality and standards of our journalism.

We manage our resources responsibly. We strive for journalistic excellence and best practices in all of our journalistic endeavours.

Our Values

Accuracy

We seek out the truth in all matters of public interest. We invest our time and our skills to learn, understand and clearly explain the facts to our audience. The production techniques we use serve to present the content in a clear and accessible manner.

Fairness

In our information gathering and reporting, we treat individuals and organizations with openness and respect. We are mindful of their rights. We treat them even-handedly.

Balance

We contribute to informed debate on issues that matter to Canadians by reflecting a diversity of opinion. Our content on all platforms presents a wide range of subject matter and views.

On issues of controversy, we ensure that divergent views are reflected respectfully, taking into account their relevance to the debate and how widely held these views are. We also ensure that they are represented over a reasonable period of time.

Impartiality

We provide professional judgment based on facts and expertise. We do not promote any particular point of view on matters of public debate.

Integrity

The trust of the public is our most valued asset. We avoid putting ourselves in real or potential conflict of interest. This is essential to our credibility.

Perhaps a complaint to the Ombudsman....

Archived