South Korea vs Canada - Friday November 11th (in Cheonan 천안시, Korea)

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Outside of Arfield, which healthy players who's clubs are not playing MLS / NASL / UCL right now would improve the squad that was brought? Would you rather drop some known commodities for some youth / new faces and watch them get completely outclassed by Korea? I don't think that will benefit the program at all.

For me, since they are playing a team as good as Korea I want them to call up those MLS/NASL/UCL players. So I disagree with the premise.

I understand if Hutch is still taking stock of things and trying to decide what he wants going forward (although of course I would love to have him in the squad). But why not call up Akindele? He is almost certain to be done his season after Sunday. If you want, you can have someone else ready as a backup in case Dallas pulls off a crazy comeback and advances to the next round. Ricketts and even Johnson are bench players at the moment for TFC. Jackson-Hamel has been rooted to the bench at Montreal, and Hamilton and Morgan haven't even gotten on the bench in the playoffs for TFC. Why can't any of them be called up while their team is on break (or possibly eliminated if they squander their lead)? Ledgerwood too has a 50% chance of being done his season after the weekend.

My preferences:
Ricketts, Jackson-Hamel or Hamilton rather than Haber
Akindele rather than whoever is an attacking player not named Hoilett or Larin
Johnson rather than any central mid, probably Piette or Straith
Ledgerwood or Morgan rather than Ouimette, Tissot, or maybe Dixon (but I am kind of curious to see more of Dixon)

Plus of course the obvious one that you mentioned, Arfield.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

^^^Everything but Ricketts makes sense...he's clearly an important piece to TFC. And even Johnson too.

Yes, Ricketts is an important piece, but he has been coming on after the 80th minute. He should still be able to easily play 5 to 10 minutes a game for TFC after going to the Korea game in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yes, Ricketts is an important piece, but he has been coming on after the 80th minute. He should still be able to easily play 5 to 10 minutes a game for TFC after going to the Korea game in my opinion.

lol fair point

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Assuming no one with TFC gets injured and TR remains out of the starting 11.

19 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Assuming no one with TFC gets injured and TR remains out of the starting 11.

Yes, that could happen, but what respectable footballing nation would say "We didn't call up player X just in case someone on his club team gets hurt and player X finds his way into the starting lineup. We don't want him to be tired from playing with us when he gets his chance to start."

On 11/2/2016 at 10:42 PM, masster said:

I'm not. People that say they are okay with leaving our best players off these rosters and then complain about us getting tough draws are being hypocritical. The reason we get tough draws is because we don't win enough of these games. The reason we don't win enough of these games is partly due to the fact that we rarely have our best players. We need to break this cycle and this mentality. Every game matters.

Quote from Findlay in this article about not picking MLS and NASL playoff players. Well communicated. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. Still feel we should try to win every game though and call up the players that give us the chance to do so.

He also says that Atiba has not made up his mind on the future.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/findlay+picks+youth+veterans+canadas+friendly+south+korea/12344331/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

19 minutes ago, masster said:

Quote from Findlay in this article about not picking MLS and NASL playoff players. Well communicated. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. Still feel we should try to win every game though and call up the players that give us the chance to do so.

He also says that Atiba has not made up his mind on the future.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/findlay+picks+youth+veterans+canadas+friendly+south+korea/12344331/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think the quote from Findlay shows that the CSA is putting some real thought into their relationships with club teams. We can’t have things devolve into a club vs country fight every time the national team plays a game. Findlay is demonstrating that they are willing to work with the clubs rather than against them.

I think that ensuring that players can get into good playing situations with their clubs can benefit the national team in the long run when that player is called up on future occasions. Ricketts is the best example right now; his club career has simply not been stable in the past, and now that he finally has what appears to be a stable club situation (where he is actually paid and is producing as a super sub and occasional starter), it means he can hopefully be in better form for the next time he is called. And he will be called again.

Regarding Haworth, interesting to see him invited to camp after a good season for him in 2016. He brings a different game than Haber and Larin, less of a hold up player. Personally, I think he has been overrated a bit here, but there's no harm in bringing him in for a camp, and he has familiarity with Tissot and Dixon already.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Yes, that could happen, but what respectable footballing nation would say "We didn't call up player X just in case someone on his club team gets hurt and player X finds his way into the starting lineup. We don't want him to be tired from playing with us when he gets his chance to start."

Isn't that what Findley is saying? He wants players who are or could be getting minutes playing in important games to get those minutes?

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Isn't that what Findley is saying? He wants players who are or could be getting minutes playing in important games to get those minutes?

Yes he is saying that, and I am disagreeing with that position. Also, I said what "respectable footballing nation" would say that. Canada is the only nation I am aware of that would do that kind of thing (could be ignorance on my part) and I would argue it shows a lack of self respect to our own program.

8 hours ago, Canadian Pride said:

Saw someone post that GK Jayson Leutwiler was expected to be called up to the squad. Is there something I've missed because I haven't seen people talking about him being included into the squad

Not sure what you mean. He was called for this game and we've been discussing the possibility of him playing for the NT for a year in his thread. 

On 11/3/2016 at 1:49 PM, Kent said:

For me, since they are playing a team as good as Korea I want them to call up those MLS/NASL/UCL players. So I disagree with the premise.

I understand if Hutch is still taking stock of things and trying to decide what he wants going forward (although of course I would love to have him in the squad). But why not call up Akindele? He is almost certain to be done his season after Sunday. If you want, you can have someone else ready as a backup in case Dallas pulls off a crazy comeback and advances to the next round. Ricketts and even Johnson are bench players at the moment for TFC. Jackson-Hamel has been rooted to the bench at Montreal, and Hamilton and Morgan haven't even gotten on the bench in the playoffs for TFC. Why can't any of them be called up while their team is on break (or possibly eliminated if they squander their lead)? Ledgerwood too has a 50% chance of being done his season after the weekend.

My preferences:
Ricketts, Jackson-Hamel or Hamilton rather than Haber
Akindele rather than whoever is an attacking player not named Hoilett or Larin
Johnson rather than any central mid, probably Piette or Straith
Ledgerwood or Morgan rather than Ouimette, Tissot, or maybe Dixon (but I am kind of curious to see more of Dixon)

Plus of course the obvious one that you mentioned, Arfield.

no player is going to want to leave during the playoffs to fly 15+ hours each way for a 1 off friendly.

Ricketts makes regular appearance as does Johnson, sheer foolishness

Hamilton is the natural backup if either Altidore or Ricketts gets hurt in training.

Akindele makes regular appearances, maybe if he really wants to go he'll call up the CSA and they'll get him a flight.

99.9% sure Morgan is still hurt, he was 6-8 weeks somewhere around 7 weeks ago iirc

It's a pretty meaningless friendly with 8 months until they play a meaningful game again, their club situations are far more important.

There would be a far stronger argument to be made if they were playing two games in the window but with only 1 I can't see how it would be remotely worth it for a lot of these guys

18 hours ago, Coramoor said:

Hamilton is the natural backup if either Altidore or Ricketts gets hurt in training.

If the game isn't even worth enough to call up a guy who is two specific injuries away from getting on the field, what is the point?

Anyways, I will let it go. I hope somehow Canada can pull out a good performance on Friday.

6 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Yeah, but we are still not better than the Yanks. Not by a fair bit, sadly.

Don't overrate the US. Cyle Larin is better than any American player can daydream about. The US only looks "better" because they have those German military kids. Without them the US is at the level of Belize.

Archived