South Korea vs Canada - Friday November 11th (in Cheonan 천안시, Korea)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Personally, I don't think Babouli brings anything to the table in an offensive manner, unless you want to watch flashy moves followed by him giving the ball away and low percentage shots taken poorly. Fisk, Petrasso or arguably Zanatta would be much better options on the wing IMO. From an AM position, Shome and Chapman would be better options.

Babouli seemed to provide decent service for Giovinco, he's one of the few young players Gio doesn't bitch about. He also swings in a good cross.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Babouli seemed to provide decent service for Giovinco, he's one of the few young players Gio doesn't bitch about. He also swings in a good cross.

Additionally, while he has a lot of decision-making flaws that need to be corrected (and can & probably be with more experience) he is also a player that has a willingness to try creative things and has willingness to take players on. Two things which we don't currently don't see (and barely saw at all under Floro) with the national team. I fail to see the harm in giving him a look to see what he can do.

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Additionally, while he has a lot of decision-making flaws that need to be corrected (and can & probably be with more experience) he is also a player that has a willingness to try creative things and has willingness to take players on. Two things which we don't currently don't see (and barely saw at all under Floro) with the national team. I fail to see the harm in giving him a look to see what he can do.

I know in the past I've looked for that exact trait too. The ability to go one on one with defenders. I have to say though that now I'm more interested in seeing players that can control and deliver passes well, able to make a yard or two of space when receiving the ball, and have the positional awareness to help out defensively but also in possession. Far too often we see a Canadian player with the ball and the 4 or 5 closest players are from the other team. Couple that with the fact that when the Canadian receives the ball it often bounces a couple yards away from him. Petrasso is a player that is a good example of a guy that can take players on, but what I often saw at his last U20 games (or maybe it was U23, I'm not sure) is he would get the ball, and then run away from the rest of the team. Sure he could beat a player or two, but he had nobody to pass to because he was over eager in trying to make a great solo run. Offensive shape is as important as defensive shape.

Watch the Colombia friendly last night from 2014. Man oh man is our off the ball movement terrible. 

We can talk about taking players on, or fundamental skills like technique and first touch, but if there is no desire to move off the ball, we're screwed.

And no, I don't buy the argument these guys aren't capable, because these are professionals. This is all about letting better teams dictate the game. We defend and defend and defend and then once we retain possession, nobody wants to get on the ball. Okay maybe Hoilett and Arfield want it, but that's not enough. We need a change in mindset.

somehow...someway...

So I know how to read Korean (I work in Korea), and the Korean media is reporting that the head coach is not planning on using their best players against Canada - but rather test a bunch of new members for their upcoming games - an immediate one against Uze after the game against Can. While this is only a speculation for now, it could mean that Son (Spurs), Ki (Swansea), and Korea's other key players may be opted out for this game.

At the moment, the fans here are pressing the football association to ax the current manager (who is only presenting disappointing results despite Korea's current fancy line-up) and appoint a new head coach in replacement.

The game against Iran a few days ago turned out to be a major disappointment for the fans here as the team failed to nail even a single shot-on-target. Korea had to face Iran in the past, on numerous occasions, of which they would dominate most, if not all of the games. 

I watched most of their recent games and I think we'd have a chance in the second-half (or even the first half if they use their "second-tier" players). Their main tactic is to keep ball possession and strike with a speedy blow starting from the defense or midfield line, when they see a hole. They're pretty good at possessing the ball (although it often lacks creativity) so it would be best to counter-attack cause the off-the-ball movement of their defense is weaker than those in the midfield or forward...

Btw, most Koreans think Canada is absolutely abysmal at soccer, not knowing how its slowly improving... So its a good chance for us to show them that we do have a presence on the international stage.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

Watch the Colombia friendly last night from 2014. Man oh man is our off the ball movement terrible. 

We can talk about taking players on, or fundamental skills like technique and first touch, but if there is no desire to move off the ball, we're screwed.

And no, I don't buy the argument these guys aren't capable, because these are professionals. This is all about letting better teams dictate the game. We defend and defend and defend and then once we retain possession, nobody wants to get on the ball. Okay maybe Hoilett and Arfield want it, but that's not enough. We need a change in mindset.

somehow...someway...

The Japanese u-17 women do it better than the Canadian senior men.

And don't quote me out of context on that, please.

10 hours ago, biospherian said:

Btw, most Koreans think Canada is absolutely abysmal at soccer, not knowing how its slowly improving... So its a good chance for us to show them that we do have a presence on the international stage.

Slowly improving, at a rate slower than the rest of the world. I know FIFA rankings are imperfect, but we are trending down.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/associations/association=can/men/index.html

In the 1990's we were usually ranked in the 60ish range. In the 2000's we were ranked in the 80's or 90's. In the last few years we are typically ranked in the 90's or 100's, as low as 120's.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer post.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Japanese u-17 women do it better than the Canadian senior men.

And don't quote me out of context on that, please.

Don't quite get the out context thing but you're probably right about the Japanese U-17 women, sadly.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't quite get the out context thing but you're probably right about the Japanese U-17 women, sadly.

The "do it better" bit could be taken wrongly.

The off the ball movement of that team is exemplary, every player is watching the others and there is always one moving to the ball, another away, one staying wide, one back-- and then they are reacting to each others' off the ball movement, so that if one goes, and another, one will alter her course to not do what the teammate is doing. All in a flowing random way, not at all automated.

Which is extraordinary training, rare on any men's team at any level. The Japan girls are fascinating to watch, all they need is a bit of power striking and they'd be unbeatable, because the rest is impeccable, they even seem to be comparable in size to their rivals.

On October 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM, MtlMario said:

I guess we all agree,like I said on another post,now is the time to bring in the younger players to get them ready for our next round of WCQ that begin in 3 years(I hope (again) with better results).

We will not see any of the younger players in for this camp as the 20's have a camp set for the FIFA window also

23 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

It's an evening game, and Cheonan's outside the Greater Seoul area.

I'm working in Seoul, and the distance is similar to the driving distance from downtown Toronto to downtown Hamilton.

If you're driving from Incheon (where the airport is), it will take you roughly 2 hours to get there (analogous to the distance from Toronto to London ON).

On 11/10/2016 at 6:52 PM, Vince193 said:

I hope we see the likes of Babouli, Chapman instead of Haber and Piette. Players who aren't afraid or lack the ability to make something happen.

I couldn't agree more.  Babouli's a lot of fun to watch and I like his attitude on the pitch.  The stupid spell-check thing changed his name to tabouli about seven times before I told it what to go do with itself.  I like tabouli as well, but it can't play footie.

Archived